Dynadot

GoDaddy / NameFind Bad Faith - Took Domain Away

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Seasoned

Established Member
Impact
I won a GoDaddy/ NameFind auction. I paid for it right away. Was very excited and already drawing up plans for the website.
They removed it from my won auctions 2 days later and straight up LIED to me that they hadn't caught the domain in time.
Complete and totally lie. As namefind has owned it and still owns it, this is disgusting behavior.
(GoDaddy owns the namefind portfolio)
Plus no email from GoDaddy explaining any of this. I have been a GD customer for 5 years and spent xx,xxx in that time. Beyond furious.
Has anyone had similar experience ?
I emailed [email protected] since phone support was nice but clueless to help.
No reply and not even email explaining their actions.
Does anyone from GD ever chime in here ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I cant speak to your specific concern but Ive been using GD since the early days. Ive finally given up on GD and am moving all my domains away. I miss Bob Parsons. GD is not the same. Nothing surprises me with them anymore. Im sad to leave them in a nostalgic way but they are no longer a good and reliable business partner in my view

•••
Yes they sometimes take away your domains won at auction and sometimes you will not get any notification at all.

If you have a lot of domains you might never discover if you are missing one - if they don't tell you.

I have been transferring all my domains away for the last year or so.

If you do win an auction and you get the domain in your account you should transfer out as soon as possible.

•••
I won a GoDaddy/ NameFind auction. I paid for it right away. Was very excited and already drawing up plans for the website.
They removed it from my won auctions 2 days later and straight up LIED to me that they hadn't caught the domain in time.
Complete and totally lie. As namefind has owned it and still owns it, this is disgusting behavior.
(GoDaddy owns the namefind portfolio)
Plus no email from GoDaddy explaining any of this. I have been a GD customer for 5 years and spent xx,xxx in that time. Beyond furious.
Has anyone had similar experience ?
I emailed [email protected] since phone support was nice but clueless to help.
No reply and not even email explaining their actions.
Does anyone from GD ever chime in here ?

Was this an expiring auction at Go Daddy ? @Joe Styler and @pnicks can weigh in with more info.

•••
I transfer every single name out of GD when it comes time to renew. Every. Single. One. When it asks why at the end I say "Cheaper elsewhere." Other reasons include what you mentioned.

•••
I transfer every single name out of GD when it comes time to renew. Every. Single. One. When it asks why at the end I say "Cheaper elsewhere." Other reasons include what you mentioned.

Ditto!

•••
Yes they sometimes take away your domains won at auction and sometimes you will not get any notification at all.

If you have a lot of domains you might never discover if you are missing one - if they don't tell you.

I have been transferring all my domains away for the last year or so.

If you do win an auction and you get the domain in your account you should transfer out as soon as possible.

I can understand if it was a private seller and outside of GoDaddy's control, but this domain is listed in Whois as directly in GoDaddy's own portfolio of names for NameFind.
This behavior is not acceptable. If I were a casual end user, I would've been none the wiser when support claimed it was a domain that dropped and went to another registrant. Total BS.

Was this an expiring auction at Go Daddy ? @Joe Styler and @pnicks can weigh in with more info.

Yes, indeed it was. Thanks.

•••
I am not aware of us redeeming any names that expire from the namefind protfolio. From time to time we do get customers upset with us for that but in the ones I have investigated this is what happened.
Original owner lets domain expire -> renews domain during time we are buying portfolio -> whois gets updated to our name. Those are the only situations I have seen at this point.

•••
•••
I am not aware of us redeeming any names that expire from the namefind protfolio. From time to time we do get customers upset with us for that but in the ones I have investigated this is what happened.
Original owner lets domain expire -> renews domain during time we are buying portfolio -> whois gets updated to our name. Those are the only situations I have seen at this point.

My domaintools. subscription shows that Namefind has been and is the registrant for a long while.
And if you were not the registrant, are you claiming that even though I won the auction and paid for the auction, that GoDaddy is essentially only awarding the Namefind portfolio names if the bid is HIGH enough ?
So what it looks like to me is if a namefind expired auction doesn't fetch high enough price, namefind will renew the domain after its already been won and paid for on godaddy!
Adam at support is on the phone stating that godaddy doesn't own any Namefind properties and merely have a few names to offer. But this name is clearly part of the namefind portfolio and this all seems in bad faith.
I am happy to share the domain if you PM me.

•••
@Seasoned What was the name? Have you checked the whois history to see if they caught the name or just let the registration lapse ?

Namefind was and is the registrant. The domain was expired. 2 days after I already paid, it appears they updated the record to show it as renewed.
So disgusted. As I always say, I'm not unique. If I am being treated this way, this has to be happening to many other GoDaddy bidders who find good deals.

•••
Namefind was and is the registrant. The domain was expired. 2 days after I already paid, it appears they updated the record to show it as renewed.
So disgusted. As I always say, I'm not unique. If I am being treated this way, this has to be happening to many other GoDaddy bidders who find good deals.

I don't know how long a domain is expired before it's listed on auctions.godaddy.com. I've found my own domains on NameJet that are just a few days past expiration.

I'd hate to see Godaddy auctions go the way of TuCows / YummyName

http://www.thedomains.com/2008/10/2...pired-domains-they-kept-from-their-customers/

•••
I don't know how long a domain is expired before it's listed on auctions.godaddy.com. I've found my own domains on NameJet that are just a few days past expiration.

I'd hate to see Godaddy auctions go the way of TuCows / YummyName

http://www.thedomains.com/2008/10/2...pired-domains-they-kept-from-their-customers/
All our domains that expire go through the usual flow. We are not holding any domains back. The only acquisition we have done thus far is to buy protfolios from domain investors. We are not keeping names back or purposefully letting names expire and go to auction only to renew them at a later time.

•••
All our domains that expire go through the usual flow. We are not holding any domains back. The only acquisition we have done thus far is to buy protfolios from domain investors. We are not keeping names back or purposefully letting names expire and go to auction only to renew them at a later time.

Thanks.

In my experience, there is usually a simple explanation. I've found and recovered my own domains when not renewed on time.

•••
I just figured out that the domain was never renewed by previous registrant.
I won the domain 36 days after it expired. I paid for it.
Now it has been awarded to Namefind by Fastdomain 2 days after I paid for it.
This is bad faith and I want answers from Namefind / GoDaddy (NYSE: GDDY).
I am filing complaints against FastDomain [owned by the poorly rated EIG] presently.

•••
I cant speak to your specific concern but Ive been using GD since the early days. Ive finally given up on GD and am moving all my domains away. I miss Bob Parsons. GD is not the same. Nothing surprises me with them anymore. Im sad to leave them in a nostalgic way but they are no longer a good and reliable business partner in my view
I didn't know Bob parsons left?

•••
I just figured out that the domain was never renewed by previous registrant.
I won the domain 36 days after it expired. I paid for it.
Now it has been awarded to Namefind by Fastdomain 2 days after I paid for it.
This is bad faith and I want answers from Namefind / GoDaddy (NYSE: GDDY).
I am filing complaints against FastDomain [owned by the poorly rated EIG] presently.

FastDomain isn't a GoDaddy company.

I wonder if the previous owner listed it at Godaddy before it expired?

NameFind may have picked it up using an automated process when it dropped.

•••
FastDomain isn't a GoDaddy company.

I wonder if the previous owner listed it at Godaddy before it expired?

NameFind may have picked it up using an automated process when it dropped.

It did not drop according to whois. GoDaddy support keeps claiming the previous registrant renewed. This is not true.
The previous owner didn't somehow list it in expired auctions.
And I have already contacted them to get involved.

•••
It did not drop according to whois. GoDaddy support keeps claiming the previous registrant renewed. This is not true.
The previous owner didn't somehow list it in expired auctions.
And I have already contacted them to get involved.

Registrar: FastDomain Inc,
Creation: 2012-10-30T08:24:48Z
Expires on 2016-10-30
Updated: 2016-12-06T06:01:18Z

Looks like a drop. Weird.

Good luck, let us know what happened.

•••
Can anyone find out if the domain was transferred by the previous registrant out to NameFind?

Either it was transferred or NameFind grabbed it on the drop somehow.

OP let us know if you get any more information.

Cheers

Last edited:
•••
You aren't familiar with the system at godaddy. Just because you win an auction and pay doesn't make the domain yours. The owner has 42 days from expiration to renew.

•••
The original poster sent me the domain. It was not owned by us when it was listed for sale. Nor very likely when it was renewed. We recently purchased a portfolio it was a part of.

•••
The original poster sent me the domain. It was not owned by us when it was listed for sale. Nor very likely when it was renewed. We recently purchased a portfolio it was a part of.
The OP said it was expired so a sales listing is irrelevant. Is your claim that godaddy renewed its own domain after the end of an expired auction?

•••
So the original registrant listed it for sale at GoDaddy.

OP buys it and has it in his account.

GoDaddy buys a portfolio which this name is part of.

OP loses domain as GoDaddy always has priority.

GoDaddy pulls name out of OP account and issues refund.

•••

Wait, you purchased a portfolio the domain was part of ? That's funny since the domain expired on October 30 and I purchased it on December 4th on GoDaddy expired auctions.
But according to FastDomain, they did not transfer it to Namefind.
So you purchased an asset that was in redemption period, but the previous owner did not renew it
Instead Namefind now replaces the previous owner and FastDomain support is equally confused.
This is hilarious. What kind of shenanigans are going on here ?
So that's great, you do own the domain. Please push it back to my won auctions.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back