NameSilo

GoDaddy / NameFind Bad Faith - Took Domain Away

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Seasoned

Established Member
Impact
I won a GoDaddy/ NameFind auction. I paid for it right away. Was very excited and already drawing up plans for the website.
They removed it from my won auctions 2 days later and straight up LIED to me that they hadn't caught the domain in time.
Complete and totally lie. As namefind has owned it and still owns it, this is disgusting behavior.
(GoDaddy owns the namefind portfolio)
Plus no email from GoDaddy explaining any of this. I have been a GD customer for 5 years and spent xx,xxx in that time. Beyond furious.
Has anyone had similar experience ?
I emailed [email protected] since phone support was nice but clueless to help.
No reply and not even email explaining their actions.
Does anyone from GD ever chime in here ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So the original registrant listed it for sale at GoDaddy.

OP buys it and has it in his account.

GoDaddy buys a portfolio which this name is part of.

OP loses domain as GoDaddy always has priority.

GoDaddy pulls name out of OP account and issues refund.
No.

The domain expired and auctioned. OP won the auction and godaddy renewed because it didn't sell for enough. This is what it seems.

•••
All our domains that expire go through the usual flow. We are not holding any domains back. The only acquisition we have done thus far is to buy portfolios from domain investors. We are not keeping names back or purposefully letting names expire and go to auction only to renew them at a later time.

Are you sure you don't have a department or GD portfolio manager acting on his own and renewing GoDaddy owned domain after they have been through the expired domain process?

•••
Are you sure you don't have a department or GD portfolio manager acting on his own and renewing GoDaddy owned domain after they have been through the expired domain process?
It doesn't matter. Registrants, including godaddy, are allowed to renew after expired auctions take place. It is what it is.

•••
It doesn't matter. Registrants, including godaddy, are allowed to renew after expired auctions take place. It is what it is.

Well it does matter, as @Joe Styler said this exactly what GD doesn't do. Seems contradictory to me.

All our domains that expire go through the usual flow. We are not holding any domains back. The only acquisition we have done thus far is to buy portfolios from domain investors. We are not keeping names back or purposefully letting names expire and go to auction only to renew them at a later time.

•••
Well it does matter, as @Joe Styler said this exactly what GD doesn't do. Seems contradictory to me.
Yup he said what I'm saying..."they go through the usual flow". This means an auctioned domain can be renewed.

•••
Actually you're right, you need to read between the lines here.

I am not aware of us redeeming any names that expire from the namefind protfolio. From time to time we do get customers upset with us for that but in the ones I have investigated this is what happened.
Original owner lets domain expire -> renews domain during time we are buying portfolio -> whois gets updated to our name. Those are the only situations I have seen at this point.

It seems that it happens often.

Maybe Joe can clarify to the OP exactly what's happened.

Last edited:
•••
What seems to have happened here is that the domain expired and was listed on an expired auction. It was and is not registered at GoDaddy. GoDaddy now sells expired domains from many registrars when they expire. It has been in the news and blogs. http://domainnamewire.com/2016/11/22/another-major-registrar-sending-expired-domains-godaddy/

This is a great reason to buy your domains from us. We have a large inventory of expiring domains. But the name wasn't with us and still isn't. It definitely wasn't in the poster's account if it was never registered with GoDaddy. So we didn't renew it and take it out of his account, it was never there.

When expired names are won on the auction there is still time for the original registrant to renew the domain. If this is right or not is a subject for another thread, but the point is that is what has happened since we started selling domains on the auctions over 12 years ago. Very few are renewed and not delivered. We are looking into other options for this on an ongoing basis.

When the domain name was listed for sale we did not own the domain. We didn't list a name for sale we owned and then pull it back. We do not do that. That is not the normal flow.

The original owner of the domain most likely renewed it before we took possession. We recently purchased a portfolio of domains. This was likely part of that acquistion. We have an agreement with the seller to not disclose certain aspects of the transaction so I will not confirm nor deny any aspects of the transaction although you can read about it domain blogs as it made the news today and make your own conclusions.

Whois history will bear out what I say which is also public information. We did not own the domain name when it was listed for sale. The original owner has the right to renew the domain which they did. This is an edge case. While it is bad timing, it is patently untrue that we let a domain expire and then after it did not sell for enough we renewed it. We purchased a portfolio of tens of thousands of domains and did not single any names out for renewal or deletion as of yet.

I understand there are concerns but this is easily verified by third party sources such as media, blogs, Whois, etc.

•••
Actually you're right, you need to read between the lines here.

It seems that it happens often.

Maybe Joe can clarify to the OP exactly what's happened.
We don't often buy protfolios :) I have clarified it with him via PM. I have also given information on this thread and said publicly this is not something we do renew domains that we let expire because it didn't get a high enough bid.

•••
We don't often buy protfolios :) I have clarified it with him via PM. I have also given information on this thread and said publicly this is not something we do renew domains that we let expire because it didn't get a high enough bid.

Thanks and just to clarify when you say "WE" you are speaking as GoDaddy and NameFind as one entity, correct?

•••
Thanks and just to clarify when you say "WE" you are speaking as GoDaddy and NameFind as one entity, correct?
correct GoDaddy as a whole including all its sister companies ie namefind.

•••
What seems to have happened here is that the domain expired and was listed on an expired auction. It was and is not registered at GoDaddy. GoDaddy now sells expired domains from many registrars when they expire. It has been in the news and blogs. http://domainnamewire.com/2016/11/22/another-major-registrar-sending-expired-domains-godaddy/

This is a great reason to buy your domains from us. We have a large inventory of expiring domains. But the name wasn't with us and still isn't. It definitely wasn't in the poster's account if it was never registered with GoDaddy. So we didn't renew it and take it out of his account, it was never there.

When expired names are won on the auction there is still time for the original registrant to renew the domain. If this is right or not is a subject for another thread, but the point is that is what has happened since we started selling domains on the auctions over 12 years ago. Very few are renewed and not delivered. We are looking into other options for this on an ongoing basis.

When the domain name was listed for sale we did not own the domain. We didn't list a name for sale we owned and then pull it back. We do not do that. That is not the normal flow.

The original owner of the domain most likely renewed it before we took possession. We recently purchased a portfolio of domains. This was likely part of that acquistion. We have an agreement with the seller to not disclose certain aspects of the transaction so I will not confirm nor deny any aspects of the transaction although you can read about it domain blogs as it made the news today and make your own conclusions.

Whois history will bear out what I say which is also public information. We did not own the domain name when it was listed for sale. The original owner has the right to renew the domain which they did. This is an edge case. While it is bad timing, it is patently untrue that we let a domain expire and then after it did not sell for enough we renewed it. We purchased a portfolio of tens of thousands of domains and did not single any names out for renewal or deletion as of yet.

I understand there are concerns but this is easily verified by third party sources such as media, blogs, Whois, etc.

You removed it from won listings in my account 2 days after I paid for it.
The original registrant doesn't appear to have renewed his name before I won and paid for it.
You write: "The original owner of the domain most likely renewed it before we took possession."
And how did you take possession ? You're claiming the original registrant happened to renew and then sold it to Namefind who included in a portfolio that you purchased only in the last 24-48 hours ?
2 days after I won and paid for the domain, the legal registrant was suddenly changed from a man in Israel to Namefind LLC in Mass.
FastDomain support was at a complete loss to explain how the registrants changed hand so recently.

•••
  • OP buys expired domain and still has to wait 5-7 days for domain to hit his account.
  • GoDaddy buys a portfolio which this name is part of.
  • OP doesn't get domain and gets refund.

@Seasoned, unfortunately you don't own domains straight after you purchase from an expired auction at GD. You need to wait 5-7 days for that domain to fully expire and then enter your account.

During the 5-7 day period:

Sometimes the original registrant renews.
Sometimes he/she transfers out
Sometimes like in this scenario the domain was sold to somebody else.

The somebody else in this case was NameFind/GD.

An edge case scenario. Just remember when ever buying from GD always wait 8 or so days before thinking that domain is yours.

Last edited:
•••
  • OP buys expired domain and still has to wait 5-7 days for domain to hit his account.
  • GoDaddy buys a portfolio which this name is part of.
  • OP doesn't get domain and gets refund.
@Seasoned, unfortunately you don't own domains straight after you purchase from an expired auction at GD. You need to wait 5-7 days for that domain to fully expire and then enter your account.

During the 5-7 day period:

Sometimes the original registrant renews.
Sometimes he/she transfers out
Sometimes like in this scenario the domain was sold to somebody else.

The somebody else in this case was NameFind/GD.

An edge case scenario. Just remember when ever buying from GD always wait 8 or so days before thinking that domain is yours.

I never said I owned the domain. I have been domaining since 1998 and am very well versed in rules.
I won the domain as a single bidder for a mere 12 dollars. Since it is a great little domain name, I paid instantly.
2 days later I went check if it would be released to me on the 10th or 11th.
Didn't see it under won auctions anymore.
Checked under auctions I didn't win.
Saw it listed there.
Called support. They told me it did not drop, that the current registrant had renewed it.
I would have let the matter drop, but saw the registrant listed as GoDaddy's Namefind sister company.
That raised my ire.
Posted here, plus other domain news sites and also emailed auction department.
They reiterated the same claim by GD phone support. Called Phone support again.
Adam stated that Namefind wasn't any part of GD and they just had a few names of theirs.

Spoke to very helpful support as FastDomain who was utterly confused why the registrant record changed since he did not see a renewal by previous registrant or an inter domain transfer.

Then had a back and forth with Styler via PM. He would do well in DC. Spin. spin. spin.

As it stands GoDaddy magically owns a portfolio that somehow contains a name that Namefind did not OWN in its portfolio a couple days ago. That GD already sold to me. The excuses are nonsensical.

So GD/Namefind are in the position to transfer the domain, but giving absurd excuses not to.

Last I heard domain registrars can not renew an expired domain that is still in redemption and transfer ownership when the current registrant never agreed to it.

Hilarious.

•••
They don't own FastDomains, so how can they renew an expired domain?

They bought it fairly from the original owner.

You did not win this domain, it was sold before entering your account.

I never said I owned the domain. I have been domaining since 1998 and am very well versed in rules.
I won the domain as a single bidder for a mere 12 dollars. Since it is a great little domain name, I paid instantly.
2 days later I went check if it would be released to me on the 10th or 11th.
Didn't see it under won auctions anymore.
Checked under auctions I didn't win.
Saw it listed there.
Called support. They told me it did not drop, that the current registrant had renewed it.
I would have let the matter drop, but saw the registrant listed as GoDaddy's Namefind sister company.
That raised my ire.
Posted here, plus other domain news sites and also emailed auction department.
They reiterated the same claim by GD phone support. Called Phone support again.
Adam stated that Namefind wasn't any part of GD and they just had a few names of theirs.

Spoke to very helpful support as FastDomain who was utterly confused why the registrant record changed since he did not see a renewal by previous registrant or an inter domain transfer.

Then had a back and forth with Styler via PM. He would do well in DC. Spin. spin. spin.

As it stands GoDaddy magically owns a portfolio that somehow contains a name that Namefind did not OWN in its portfolio a couple days ago. That GD already sold to me. The excuses are nonsensical.

So GD/Namefind are in the position to transfer the domain, but giving absurd excuses not to.

Last I heard domain registrars can not renew an expired domain that is still in redemption and transfer ownership when the current registrant never agreed to it.

Hilarious.

Last edited:
•••
Fun conversation w/ FastDomain. They apparently sold it to NameFind on the 6th. Support directed me to their FAQ.

FastDomain.com:
"If the domain is not renewed, it is considered abandoned. We may exercise the right to auction, sell, delete or dispose of the name at any time.
As early as 31 days after expiration, your domain name will enter a holding period and may be purchased by a third party. If a third party purchases the domain name during this time, the domain name will NOT be available for you to renew."
So I won the domain on day 35 but apparently GoDaddy's Namefind took possession on day 37 and cancelled the sale.
How vile.

tl:dr
Won domain on GoDaddy auction, paid for it. Apparently, GoDaddy's Namefind branch buys directly from Registrar and then takes it for themselves instead 2 days later.

Last edited:
•••
They don't own FastDomains, so how can they renew an expired domain?

They bought it fairly from the original owner.

You did not win this domain, it was sold before entering your account.

The GoDaddy email states I won the domain. Their words.
See above post for what happened.

•••
It happened to everyone who buys expired domains regularly via GoDaddy at some point. Hell, it's happened to me 2-3 times! It doesn't matter what the emails says. It doesn't matter that you paid. It doesn't matter it was in your 'won' column and then it wasn't. Unless the domain is in your account and you can edit the contacts, the domain is not yours. It is written in their terms and conditions and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Either you continue to use them using the process they have set forth or you don't.

Most people who have been through what you have know that when purchasing an expired domain through GD, you have to wait 8 days, let the domain enter your account and if you can change the contacts to your own, then and only then, the domain is yours.

This is how GoDaddy works. If this frustrates you welcome to the club.

Last edited:
•••
As I already stated, I am well aware of the procedure. The issue here is that it was not the previous owner renewing their domain.

As GoDaddy's rep clarified on this thread, GD/Namefind are the same entity.

So GoDaddy had me pay for domain they told me that I won and then appear to have bought it directly from the domain registrar, FastDomains for themselves even though they knew I as a 3rd party had already won and paid for it.

Methinks, if it had a bunch of bidders for it on the GD expired auction and went for a decent amount instead of a measly 12 bucks, Namefind wouldn't have *apparently* gone directly to FastDomain 2 days AFTER I already paid for it to keep it for themselves.

•••

[snip]

Ah, so that link takes one to a story about Endurance International being your domain name partner.
They own the domain registrar Fast Domain.
So a partner of yours gave the domain to your sister company , 2 days after you emailed me that I won it and paid for it.
Sounds legit.

•••
Ah, so that link takes one to a story about Endurance International being your domain name partner.
They own the domain registrar Fast Domain.
So a partner of yours gave the domain to your sister company , 2 days after you emailed me that I won it and paid for it.
Sounds legit.
Sad story, but you agree to their TOS when you make a bid, and they have the right to claw it back.

If you don't like their terms, don't use their service, not much recourse, but that is how the system is setup.

I have been burned by this same system as well, nothing you can do or say, will bring the domain back, as it was obviously worth much more than you paid for it.

•••
Sad story, but you agree to their TOS when you make a bid, and they have the right to claw it back.

If you don't like their terms, don't use their service, not much recourse, but that is how the system is setup.

I have been burned by this same system as well, nothing you can do or say, will bring the domain back, as it was obviously worth much more than you paid for it.

GoDaddy FAQ states that if the the current registrant renews the domain name during the redemption period, they refund the purchase.
The [now former] registrant did not renew it before or after I paid for the auction.

•••
GoDaddy FAQ states that if the the current registrant renews the domain name during the redemption period, they refund the purchase.
The [now former] registrant did not renew it before or after I paid for the auction.
Godaddy became the current registrant, and they want to claim the domain they paid for.

So you answered your own question.

They have a duty to their shareholders. This is how auctions are, they always come with risk, buyer beware.

Last year I bought a domain owned by HugeDomains at BIN via Godaddy Auction, a 4L.com, during the course of a day or so, the 4L.com chip market took off by about $500, HugeDomains did not want to complete the transfer, there was nothing Godaddy could do to make them, and they were not willing to suspend them.

Glad you brought it to light, but don't waste anymore of your time on it, they will not give it back to you, as they have already made up their mind.

Last edited:
•••
Godaddy became the current registrant, and they want to claim the domain they paid for.

So you answered your own question.

They have a duty to their shareholders. This is how auctions are, they always come with risk, buyer beware.

Last year I bought a domain owned by HugeDomains at BIN via Godaddy Auction, a 4L.com, during the course of a day or so, the 4L.com chip market took off by about $500, HugeDomains did not want to complete the transfer, there was nothing Godaddy could do to make them, and they were not willing to suspend them.

Glad you brought it to light, but don't waste anymore of your time on it, they will not give it back to you, as they have already made up their mind.

Duty to their shareholders ? To create a worse image for their brand?
When I won and paid for it they were not Party A, the legal registrant at the time.
After I already won the auction via Godaddy's expired Domain auction and paid for it, it appears that GoDaddy's NameFind bought the domain directly from their supposed auction partner, EIG's Fast Domain.
They were not Party A and did not renew it. They became Party B, the new registrant, after replacing the legal registrant AFTER I won and purchased the auction.
They continue to tell me in emails and state that the registrant who let the domain renewal lapse is the one who just renewed it.

Last edited:
•••
Duty to their shareholders ? To create a worse image for their brand?
When I won and paid for it they were not Party A, the legal registrant at the time.
After I already won the auction via Godaddy's expired Domain auction and paid for it, it appears that GoDaddy's NameFind bought the domain directly from their supposed auction partner, EIG's Fast Domain.
They were not Party A and did not renew it. They became Party B, the new registrant, after replacing the legal registrant AFTER I won and purchased the auction.
They continue to tell me in emails and state that the registrant who let the domain renewal lapse is the one who just renewed it.
Yes, if that party put the domain in the deal, in order to validate the domain they would have to renew it, and transfer it with the other domains. If that is the case your domain should have a 2018 renewal, one year from the party who renewed it, and one year on the transfer.

•••
Yes, if that party put the domain in the deal, in order to validate the domain they would have to renew it, and transfer it with the other domains. If that is the case your domain should have a 2018 renewal, one year from the party who renewed it, and one year on the transfer.

Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-10-30

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back