IT.COM

GoDaddy grabs a valuable domain name from their customer because of invalid email

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
scary stuff...makes me wanna go check all my names...I'll be back in a few days :yell:

•••
lol well that was enough for me to double check my contact info on my names hosted with them.

Last edited:
•••
Thats their job. If you cant keep your info correct then you shouldnt have a domain. If you dont want people to see your info then use a WHOIS protection service.

•••
I guess that is why it's important to have the correct info,
I'd cry for days if I lost a domain because they couldn't reach me!
But it is our responsibility to protect our "property",
gonna go
check all mine again! Just to be sure ...

•••
Very sad to lose a nice domain name like that.

•••
I agree with those who say it is your responsibility to know when your names expire.

Is it that difficult to put together a list in Excel with domain, registrar and expiration date? Then maybe look at it once every 3-4 months.

There is also a nice feature called a calendar that people can use to make a note of when their names expire.

OK . . . I read just the story. I miss understood the thread. But the same thing goes for having the correct whois information. It's your responsibility to have the information updated with a valid email address.

Last edited:
•••
Not an expired domain in this case -
looks like whois/email issue... user settings

•••
Edited above. I just read the actual story. It is still your responsiblity to have the correct contact information and valid email address.

•••
And what if their email gets caught in your spam filter....will you still support their policy?

•••
This is also very easy to do for all your domains at once via an option right in godaddy admin panel.. So if you are unsure just select all of your domains and change the information to your current information.. Assuming it is already set that way it won't do any harm..

Just an FYI this is not a Godaddy Rule but rather an ICANN rule therefore any registrar which is complying with ICANN WILL do the same thing.. The reason is for quick termination of spammer domains which usually contain invalid information.

•••
If the email contact is wrong, how could sending an email be any notice of the problem? To me this is saying, "If your email address is wrong we will sell your domain". The issue as I see it is familyalbum.com is obviously a very valuable domain, I'm assuming godaddy has made alot of money from selling this name?

•••
Did some people here get hit by the stupid stick.....email is not a foolproof method of communication. Lets say your contact info is correct but someone files a complaint saying it is incorrect. Godaddy sends you an email asking you to reply but the email gets lost......by everyones saying here they can now grab your domain and sell it off? Well good luck and I hope it happens to every single one of you here that agree with that policy...

•••
Let me check my names too... Oh yeah, I dumped GD three months ago.

I'm finally Daddy-less and it feels so good. ;)

Last edited:
•••
RossH said:
Did some people here get hit by the stupid stick....

I don't know about a stupid stick, wasn't me that lost a domain.

POINT: If I own a domain, and I don't get email about it, I'd be concerned.
When you set up an account with a registrar, it is important to pay attention,
did you get a confirmation email of your purchase? If not - look into why not!
and if you did and it went to your "junk" folder, then change the permissions for it!

Rocket science, definetly under rated!

RossH said:
I hope it happens to every single one of you here that agree with that policy...

Nice attitude, a little surprising for a member here to hope bad things
to happen to another member!

•••
This situation is even worse combined GoDaddy's outrageous policy that you can't transfer your domains if you have updated certain whois fields in the previous two months. I have some domains listed with the wrong company name, but when I try to change it and click "OK", a new checkbox pops up which says:
For security purposes, I authorize the rejection of all transfer requests for all selected domain names for a period of 60 days from the date of this Registrant Name Change
Then when I try to sell or transfer the domain to another registrar (this has happened before), GoDaddy refuses the transfer because:
Transfer Contact has expressly and voluntarily objected through opt-in means
It is not voluntary if they require up-to-date whois information and they force me to agree in order to fix my contact info! I can't wait until I finish transferring all of my domains to Moniker. This is a blatant violation of ICANN rules, and I urge everyone to file a complaint. If GoDaddy gets away with this, other registrars might copy the "innovation" in order to make transferring away as difficult as possible.

•••
Cronus I do agree with you there about that 60 day hold policy that is a bit on the annoying side. Since none of my names are coming close to expiring I can wait it out two months and when they get close it's off to moniker they go.

•••
Who says the story is even true?

It cracks me up when people believe everything they read.

•••
RossH said:
And what if their email gets caught in your spam filter....will you still support their policy?

Unfortunately it's not the registrar's problem if their email gets caught in your
spam filters. And it doesn't matter whether you support their policy or not as
long as you continue using their services.

You don't support them, obviously you don't use them. But you know that.

If any of you are up to an exercise, read the WHOIS Data Reminder Policy:

http://icann.org/registrars/wdrp.htm

Now see if there's anything saying the registrar is required to send the WHOIS
notice via email, phone, or smoke signals. Or even if there's a requirement the
registrar ensures the registrant and/or contacts has received their messages.

If the registrant of that domain name in DNW's article indeed lost the domain
name that way, I can somewhat sympathize with him/her. But if you are not
being responsible, someone else is bound to do it for you, whether you like it
or not.

I'm rather curious about that option Go Daddy gave.

•••
mlmleads said:
This is also very easy to do for all your domains at once via an option right in godaddy admin panel.. So if you are unsure just select all of your domains and change the information to your current information.. Assuming it is already set that way it won't do any harm...
Yes, but just keep in mind that any update of whois info will cause Godaddy to prohibit transfer away for 60 days. No update would take place, you would think, if the info you're updating with is the same as the current one. But, to Godaddy, an update is an update. If any of your domains are set to expire in less than 60 days and you had planned to transfer away, tough luck.
Godaddy will charge you $9.95 for each instance of incorrect whois as well.

Source said:
Let me check my names too... Oh yeah, I dumped GD three months ago - losers.

I'm finally Daddy-less and it feels so good.
:hehe:

•••
Another good reason to move away from Godaddy.

They can call you for renewals but not to notify you of possible inaccuracy in your whois details? hmmmm...

Customer service is not a word in GD dictionary it seems, only if it has potential to create profit.

Wouldn't it be awful if you where hospitalized for a period of time and not connected to the Internet and not being able checking your email because of this, to discover that one of your gem domains which could aid you in the costs of the health issues you endured has been revoked? :'(

Dave Zan said:
But if you are not
being responsible,someone else is bound to do it for you

Responsible?

Godaddy was not being responsible for the domainholder but negligent.
Maybe not to ICANN but certainly from a moral and customer service point of view.

•••
Damion said:
They can call you for renewals but not to notify you of possible inaccuracy in your whois details? hmmmm...
Exactly :D

•••
Who knows if this is even true? Something doesn't smell right.

•••
Why wouldnt it be true? If your domain is false thats NOT the registers fault.

•••
ofclean said:
Who knows if this is even true? Something doesn't smell right.
It's on the Internet so it must be true!

Right? :]

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back