Dynadot

GoDaddy bought Mike Berkens domain portfolio MostWantedDomains.com

Spaceship
Watch
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
why he didn't sell nTLD portfolio? hmm :-,

•••
Should have put them all on Flippa !!

•••
why he didn't sell nTLD portfolio? hmm :-,

I assume GoDaddy wanted nothing to do with the new GTLD when it comes to the secondary market.
With lower demand and higher holding costs than .COM I am guessing they viewed new GTLD as a poor investment.

Brad

•••
•••
Would like to see what "Pro" group wants to say about this deal. With so many good oneword.coms 3L 4L 3N 4N 5N in that 70k domain list. Even 30million USD seems less. Why do i feel Godaddy is in Win-Win situation here ?

Comments?
@Eric Lyon, @Shane Bellone, @Joe Styler (on personal front, if possible), @NPer etc

•••
Selling one name isn't difficult. But selling a whole portfolio, especially a large one, is a very rare occurrence.
This is the opportunity of a lifetime. Now he can retire and enjoy life (and no longer worry about renewal costs or finding buyers).

•••
That's one inspirational payday!

•••
Since Godaddy is a public company the cost of this purchase could be found out in a quarterly SEC filing or annual report.

•••
Would like to see what "Pro" group wants to say about this deal. With so many good oneword.coms 3L 4L 3N 4N 5N in that 70k domain list. Even 30million USD seems less. Why do i feel Godaddy is in Win-Win situation here ?

Comments?
@Eric Lyon, @Shane Bellone, @Joe Styler (on personal front, if possible), @NPer etc

I think the deal is close to- or even going into- the 9 figure range to be quite honest.

I don't think Godaddy paid the entire amount upfront: it could have have been structured that Michael Berkens receives an amount in the 8 figure range upfront, and several payments going forward... that makes a 9 figure deal quite possible, and very realistic based on the quality of his portfolio.

Godaddy bought the Marchex portfolio of 200,000 domains for $28 Million... that portfolio had some nice names, but it had plenty of junk names too. Berkens' portfolio on the other hand has plenty of fantastic domains- unlike other big domainers who tend to have quite a bit not-so fantastic domains as well.

If it sold for high 8 figures- Godaddy definitely got a bargain.
And if it sold for low 9 figures- Godaddy still got a bargain.

Godaddy is positioning themselves nicely in the domain game. They bought Afternic, and now a few domain portfolios...

•••
GD has a lot of insight, maybe the most, into the Domain market, so they must see good things ahead for domains.

•••
Great sale for someone who deserves it. From his Twitter, it looked like Michael was a very busy guy pushing sales. Maybe he can step back and take a nice vacation now, while GoDaddy can sit and sell off that portfolio with little work involved aside from countering offers. :)

•••

Comments?
We are excited to be able to offer Mike's excellent domains to many of our customers.

•••
Why didn't he auction it at Namescon, most domainers are paying more than end users these days, plus perfect platform for his auction company.

He had around 100 3L.com, and the way he used to talk about the endless offers, they are very liquid in sales. I would assume he owns many 4L.com, with Chips averaging around $2K each.

So I wonder why he didn't sell the most liquid names, which have so much value right now, and then offload the rest. 70,000 bulk sales let you get rid of a lot of garbage, but also cream of the crop gets watered down in there.

The buyer most likely got a free education with the Marchex portfolio, seeing it had Beijing in it, and was around 200K names for the reported $28M, let alone the 200 numerics they sold for $1M recently also.

The GTLD's he has been buying very early in EAP, Day 1-5, sometimes paying thousands, and owing premium renewals into the hundreds annually, since it is so early on, do not think his buyer wanted that headache, nor the EAP costs added in, sometimes you are underwater for a few years.

The buyer is a value added service provider, so they look to sell hosting, privacy, bookeeping, ssl certificates etc... so every buyer is a potential customer, and another lead.

It was just timing, I think MB got tired of losing in the drops, as the Chinese buyers just about outbid anyone, even on english terms, I saw to Chinese buyers fight it out recently on dnfinance.com taking it from $400, all the way up to $2800 in a 2 way bidding war.

I think there is something more urgent to the sale, for someone who fought so hard to close every deal at a new high, I can't see them just giving it away, but to each their own.

The financial of the buyer should give some indication on what the number was, would have been easier for them to be more generous with shares, and a X lockout period, than outlay cash.

Last edited:
•••
I'm happy for Mike on the well-deserved pay day.

I'm still left wondering what the ramifications of Godaddy becoming a major portfolio holder are? They're running two of the larger domain marketplaces in existence and now have over 250,000 of their own names to sell. One would believe they'll slant things in their favor, no?

No.

We do not modify our search algorithms to artificially inflate NameFind inventory.

•••
VeriSign charges that price to Godaddy for all .com domains. Doesn't matter if GD owns them, or GD's customers own them.

My primary concern is how prominent the promotion of these domains become at GD and Afternic. The rest of us could be looking at diminished visibility on these marketplaces if it becomes more profitable for GD to sell their inventory than take a small percentage for selling ours. Premium listings could be taken out of the search path and replaced with recommendations from GD inventory.... things of that nature. It also brings up possible conflicts with their expiring domain inventory. I'm sure they'll continue to run the highly contested auctions but they might opt to keep large amounts of names for their own inventory instead of letting them go to Closeout status.

It's very interesting but I don't see it as a positive based on where things could go.

Hi, I understand the concern about how we'll treat expiry but we made a conscious choice following the Marchex acquisition that we would not skim any names prior to them reaching expiry and we would not be bidding in our expiry auctions because that would pit us against our customers.

If you read the comments from Mike McLaughlin (my boss) and I, we stated several months ago that we would not prioritize our inventory over our customers' and we would not bid against our customers. Even the commission structure for our call center reps have, and will, stay the same on NameFind inventory vs Afternic or GD Premium Listings.

This article from the Marchex portfolio includes some key quotes from Mike on this very topic.
http://domainnamewire.com/2015/04/22/godaddy-acquires-marchexs-domain-name-portfolio-for-28-million/

•••
GD has a lot of insight, maybe the most, into the Domain market, so they must see good things ahead for domains.

I love the Aftermarket

•••
So I wonder why he didn't sell the most liquid names, which have so much value right now, and then offload the rest. 70,000 bulk sales let you get rid of a lot of garbage, but also cream of the crop gets watered down in there.

Possibly an all or nothing type of deal.
I would guess there are a few long tails within that portfolio... there to support the CatKillers.

Mazel Tov, Mr. Berkens.
May you and your family enjoy a happy and healthy semi retirement after so many years of hard work.
Thanks for all your contributions to this industry.

Peace,
Cyberian

•••

Comments?

There's a reason we liked this portfolio, it is exceptional in both quality and coverage across many different trends/industries. You've got 100+ LLL.coms, a bunch of numerics which we know are hot right now, and then the traditional 1/2/3 keyword generics. Something for everyone I suppose.

•••
VeriSign charges that price to Godaddy for all .com domains. Doesn't matter if GD owns them, or GD's customers own them.

My primary concern is how prominent the promotion of these domains become at GD and Afternic. The rest of us could be looking at diminished visibility on these marketplaces if it becomes more profitable for GD to sell their inventory than take a small percentage for selling ours. Premium listings could be taken out of the search path and replaced with recommendations from GD inventory.... things of that nature. It also brings up possible conflicts with their expiring domain inventory. I'm sure they'll continue to run the highly contested auctions but they might opt to keep large amounts of names for their own inventory instead of letting them go to Closeout status.

It's very interesting but I don't see it as a positive based on where things could go.
I belive you are right but still it doesn't make sense because godaddy charge $8.47 on .com renewal for DDC accounts including ICANN fee. Which seems like they only get $0.44 profit on each domain for 1 year.

•••
I belive you are right but still it doesn't make sense because godaddy charge $8.47 on .com renewal for DDC accounts including ICANN fee. Which seems like they only get $0.44 profit on each domain for 1 year.

That's exactly correct. We set DDC pricing to very near cost, we have a commitment to being price competitive for bulk portfolio holders.

•••
That's exactly correct. We set DDC pricing to very near cost, we have a commitment to being price competitive for bulk portfolio holders.
Thanks for your quick response and clarification. GD always my first choice for domain registration. Even i have hundreds of domains with other registrar but i always ended at gd at the time of renewal.good luck GD and keep the price competitive always so we both can take advantages in the domaining industry.

•••
Smart move from both parties!!! Congrats!

•••
Thanks to the GD Staff (@Paul Nicks and @Joe Styler) for weighing in on this.
As you can well imagine, there are some real concerns about (as Kate so aptly put it) GD becoming a tier 1 domainer.
That is a lot of power.

Peace,
Cyberian

•••
@Paul Nicks & @Joe Styler, You guys ever considered something like "GoDaddy Finance" where customers could get credit towards buying your names? Seeing that GD has been building a nice in-house portfolio of expensive names to sell, now you guys need a method for letting some of those who don't have tens of thousands in the bank acquire them. Occasionally you can find other domains who will let you make Escrow payments on LLL.com's and then release the name once paid off. It would be great if there were a reputable company out there you could do it with as well..

•••
@Paul Nicks & @Joe Styler, You guys ever considered something like "GoDaddy Finance" where customers could get credit towards buying your names? Seeing that GD has been building a nice in-house portfolio of expensive names to sell, now you guys need a method for letting some of those who don't have tens of thousands in the bank acquire them. Occasionally you can find other domains who will let you make Escrow payments on LLL.com's and then release the name once paid off. It would be great if there were a reputable company out there you could do it with as well..

Thanks for the suggestion. At the moment we're still working hard to make sure the primary retail flow works really well before we think of adding anything like financing/leasing. So, not on the radar at the moment but I won't rule it out for the future.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back