IT.COM

GoDaddy becoming increasingly user unfriendly

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Today while trying to perform the simplest of tasks on GoDaddy to research some domain history, I found myself encountering roadblock after roadblock.

After clicking the Whois lookup link on GoDaddy's main page, TWO chat "Help" boxes popped up, one left and one right toward the bottom of the page. Choosing to ignore them, I proceeded to type my domain when a THIRD, larger chat window appeared in the middle of the page. I clicked it off.

Then, after entering my domain I was faced with the ReCaptcha hurdle demanding to know my "robot status". This was expected, but next I was faced with an absurd PICTURE PUZZLE that required me to click on at least 6-9 different puzzle boxes to gain access. Enough!

Whois feature: Not worth the hassle.
Chat features: Intrusive and incredibly annoying.

For me, it's one big strike against GoDaddy.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You must have done a bunch of searches in a row or be from some random country or somehow set off their spam radar...I just tried a GoDaddy Whois lookup...absolutely no chatboxes and all I had to do was check the box that I wasn't a robot. Done.

•••
Are you one of those people that research on Godaddy but purchase somewhere else? Maybe something like that quickens red flaging captcha-picture-puzzle horror.

Last edited:
•••
I also noticed today what I believe was a format change in the GoDaddy renewal date column, from month/day/year to day/month/year? I don't know about you but I'm an American and month/day/year is the standard here in the U.S. and day/month/year looks unnatural and is a real eyesore. I'm not sure if this can be changed per user, but I sure hope so, because I am not happy at all about it! Is this true @Joe Styler?

•••
Unusual indeed. They may have been doing some site maintenance. Parts of the GD site were freezing up on me earlier, others inaccessible.

In addition, email on some names would not load, getting errors and maintenance popups, blank pages, etc; while other email or account aspects came up without issue. Grr...

Anyway, that was about an hour ago. I stepped away for a bit and everything seems to be back to normal, and working fine, thus far.

...gl

•••
Are you one of those people that research on Godaddy but purchase somewhere else? Maybe something like that quickens red flaging captcha-picture-puzzle horror.
That would be funny if that was the case.

•••
That would be funny if that was the case.
What's really funny, or not funny, is the amount of business I give GoDaddy on a continuous basis.

What's more likely is "people like me" paying the price for the ones running bots and/or gaming the system.

As the previous poster mentioned, it could also be related to system maintenance or ongoing site tweaks.

Last edited:
•••
•••
the capthas get on my nerve

•••
There was some work being done on email servers yesterday. Not all of them which would explain the fact that some were working correctly and others had a delay. I know from my own experience the Google re-captcha gets harder to go though the more you use it on each site. I use some sites a lot and it makes me go through several sets of pictures. I know it is annoying but it is something Google does on their captcha.
On chat you shouldn't get more than one on the screen and if you say no it should go away. I am not sure what happened on that. We are looking at some new chat software to make it function better.

•••
There was some work being done on email servers yesterday. Not all of them which would explain the fact that some were working correctly and others had a delay. I know from my own experience the Google re-captcha gets harder to go though the more you use it on each site. I use some sites a lot and it makes me go through several sets of pictures. I know it is annoying but it is something Google does on their captcha.
On chat you shouldn't get more than one on the screen and if you say no it should go away. I am not sure what happened on that. We are looking at some new chat software to make it function better.
@Joe Styler
Is it possible to add a feature to your system where we could choose between domainer or private user. The default would be private user/end user and we could opt into a domainer only format which eliminates all pop ups for web services, privacy, chat pop ups etc......Godaddy knows we don't buy any of those products ever, and all it has become is a complete annoyance to us. Maybe have it link to the Discount Domain Club where all members of that service can automatically skip all the BS that Godaddy throws at us when all we want to do is get in and out as fast as possible. It seems like it would be a very easy thing to add.

•••
Is it possible to add a feature to your system where we could choose between domainer or private user. The default would be private user/end user and we could opt into a domainer only format which eliminates all pop ups for web services, privacy, chat pop ups etc......Godaddy knows we don't buy any of those products ever, and all it has become is a complete annoyance to us. Maybe have it link to the Discount Domain Club where all members of that service can automatically skip all the BS that Godaddy throws at us when all we want to do is get in and out as fast as possible. It seems like it would be a very easy thing to add.

Oh boy, don't encourage them to add it as an extra! Then they'll make a 'discount club extra' option...for an extra $100 a year, you get quick checkout and no popups! :xf.laugh: :ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
@JoeStyler Hi Joe, please answer my question from above too. Has GoDaddy changed the date format on the renewal column in the dashboard from MM/DD/YYYY to DD/MM/YYYY and can this be changed by us?

•••
@JoeStyler Hi Joe, please answer my question from above too. Has GoDaddy changed the date format on the renewal column in the dashboard from MM/DD/YYYY to DD/MM/YYYY and can this be changed by us?
not that I am aware of. You can check and make sure your account knows you are in the US by looking in the top left side of Godaddy.com choose the drop down to pick US English and it should set the account to act as if you were in the US.

•••
Thanks @Joe Styler there was an account rep in my account yesterday so maybe he flipped the switch! I appreciate your time! Steve

That was it, problem solved, thanks so much!

Last edited:
•••
Today while trying to perform the simplest of tasks on GoDaddy to research some domain history, I found myself encountering roadblock after roadblock.

After clicking the Whois lookup link on GoDaddy's main page, TWO chat "Help" boxes popped up, one left and one right toward the bottom of the page. Choosing to ignore them, I proceeded to type my domain when a THIRD, larger chat window appeared in the middle of the page. I clicked it off.

Then, after entering my domain I was faced with the ReCaptcha hurdle demanding to know my "robot status". This was expected, but next I was faced with an absurd PICTURE PUZZLE that required me to click on at least 6-9 different puzzle boxes to gain access. Enough!

Whois feature: Not worth the hassle.
Chat features: Intrusive and incredibly annoying.

For me, it's one big strike against GoDaddy.

for me it nerver was user friendly

•••
•••
I know from my own experience the Google re-captcha gets harder to go though the more you use it on each site. I use some sites a lot and it makes me go through several sets of pictures. I know it is annoying but it is something Google does on their captcha.
I read in an article recently that Google's ReCaptcha enables more tracking cookies to further invade one's privacy all in the name of making more money for Google and their trickle-down advertisers/partners. Getting off-topic here a bit, but it all seems very insidious.

•••
@Joe Styler
pop ups for web services, privacy, chat pop ups etc......Godaddy knows we don't buy any of those products ever
In all fairness, I'm sure lots of domainer folks use privacy, at least... (for me, I use email services, albeit usually free add-on)

Last edited:
•••
Parts of the GD site were freezing up on me earlier, others inaccessible.

•••
captchas are so annoying
for every domain info you want.

•••
not that I am aware of. You can check and make sure your account knows you are in the US by looking in the top left side of Godaddy.com choose the drop down to pick US English and it should set the account to act as if you were in the US.
Pls, I will appreciate if you can explain what the Afternic Premium Network is all about. I think i read somewhere in their T&A that that my approval means they can "fast transfer" to a buyer on my behalf. My fear is, I wouldn't want my domain transferred to a buyer without getting paid

•••
If the name moves you get paid. In very rare cases we give you the name back but that is less than 1% so either way you are getting the money or the domain and almost certainly you are getting the money.

•••
Pls, I will appreciate if you can explain what the Afternic Premium Network is all about. I think i read somewhere in their T&A that that my approval means they can "fast transfer" to a buyer on my behalf. My fear is, I wouldn't want my domain transferred to a buyer without getting paid
This video we have is the best explanation of Afternic and the best practices for selling there

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back