Dynadot

WARNING: Sav.com - Unfriendly Business Practices - Automatic Billing of $4316

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hn1

Established Member
Impact
Hello everyone,

Let me just shortly write about my recent sav.com experience and an example of their unfriendly business practices. I have been using sav.com for about one year due to their low pricing on backorders. There were flags in regards to them but have continued to use them exclusively due to their pricing on backorders, and have spent approximately $40,000 in the last 12 months.

Sav.com essentially requires that you have an active payment method with them. There were apparently some domain names in my account that were set on auto-renew. These domains were set on auto-renew by default and on February 28 these domain names were auto-renewed by Sav.com for a total amount of $4,316.00. (the domain names were registered on March 29)

After noticing this (within 48 hours or so), I have opened a ticket requesting the cancellation of these auto-renewals and a refund for this automatic billing. Here is basically the correspondence in regards to this (names/nicknames have been redacted).

Sav.com 1.pngSav.com 2.pngSav.com 3.png

I wasn't necessarily happy with the idea of them not issuing a full refund and keeping $150, but since I had other work-related responsibilities + had work-related travel, I said fine, I'll let them keep $150. After these messages, a week has passed with no reply or refund and I have decided to follow-up with them and the next message that I have received was the most repulsive message I have ever received from any business customer service.

Sav.com 4.png
If in the question wouldn't be around $4000, this would be a pretty amusing message. It sounds like a joke (actually, even though as of this moment I am in the red more than $4000, it is still a pretty amusing answer). I have contacted sav.com via another line of communication to ensure that before trying other avenues in pursuit of this refund that this wasn't a mistake, but according to another line of communication, no, this wasn't a mistake, this is their business practice.

Out of $4316, they have refunded me $20.

Given the amount, I will check if there are ways to receive a full refund. If it turns of that there aren't, this means that they can essentially bill you any amount, it could be $20,000 or $50,000 or any other amount that you have available with the linked payment method - and there is basically not much that you can do about it. They basically require you to have an active payment method, they can increase renewal prices at any time, they can rewrite their policy every 5 seconds, and if I am not mistaken? in the past there were glitches where bulk turn-off of auto-renewal didn't work (and there is no way for me to check if I have turned-off auto-renew for these domain names in the past, but due to bug it hasn't been processed).

Given their unfriendly business practices, I do not trust this registrar and would suggest to everyone that if they decide to use them, to use them with caution since this is not the first incident of their unfriendly business practices. Since I have thousands of domain names with them, unfortunately, I can't stop using them tomorrow, but I will definitely reduce any use of this registrar to a minimum and hopefully once domain names that I plan to drop expire, to a zero.

This has been the worst experience that I personally had with any registrar.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sav is a mistake, they lack support
We apologize that your support experience was less than a 10/10. Feel free to DM me the the details and Ill see what I can do to move the ticket along.

•••
@Nick R Are Sav staff or any paid outsiders involve in shill bidding?

•••
Hello Everyone,

Our reminders are currently sent out the day before they renew. We are constantly working on our system to improve our user experience and satisfaction. We know there is a better way to do this and are actively working on an updated refund policy where users can delete their renewed domains and receive a full refund up to 5 days after renewal. You can expect these changes in the next couple months.

Here they accepted that their system has limitations and they are working on it.

As for your $20 refund, once the domain is renewed from the registry, they don’t issue us a refund. Meaning your funds are no longer available for us to return to you. We understand that this can be an inconvenience so we typically offer a $20 courtesy return out of our own pocket. This $20 typically covers base renewal fees since most domain purchases are under $15.

And, here their response shocked me. How come someone justifies their US$ 4,316 costly mistake and shows generosity by offering US$20 in the same email?

The justification line, "This $20 typically covers base renewal fees since most domain purchases are under $15" shows the team has no clue about the issue and ground reality.

Once again we’re sorry for the inconvenience, and if you have any other suggestions to improve user experience please let me know.

Please read the SAV official thread and complaints raised by the colleagues, if you implement even 10% of their suggestions you will be in a league of Top 5 preferred registrars. All the best!

Last edited:
•••
No-one at Sav or partners of Sav are allowed to participate in auctions in any way.

Domain Refunds - Allowing refunds for renewed domains has been the new policy for a few months now! We implement a good deal of recommendations from NamePros, including this one.

•••
No-one at Sav or partners of Sav are allowed to participate in auctions in any way.

Domain Refunds - Allowing refunds for renewed domains has been the new policy for a few months now! We implement a good deal of recommendations from NamePros, including this one.
So you finally change your policy but continue to pocket the funds even though this thread was one of the key factors for implementing such a change? With a $20 slap in the face refund, the least you could do as a good PR move is refund the guy.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back