NameSilo

From ugly to $1 million, guy wants to trade up his ugly domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domaindigger

Account Closed
Impact
I just saw this on digg and wanted some perspective. This guy wants to trade up his oneuglydomain.com for a more "beautiful" one worth $1 million. It's like that oneredpaperclip idea, but with domains.

My question is, does he have a chance or is this just a parody? I have a couple of dead domains I wouldn't mind trading for if I can feed off the publicity this might generate.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
only 3 more days to cast your vote...

•••
I just finished reading the previous 11 pages and this is a very interesting idea. I have a few generics I'm willing to trade if things heat up :)

Good luck Andres (domaindigger)

•••
MinionDH said:
I have a few generics I'm willing to trade if things heat up :)
Where have you been, things have already heated up. :)

MinionDH said:
Good luck Andres (domaindigger)
I wish (I only started this thread).

I was kind of hoping RealitySeries.tv would stick around for another round, but it doesn't look like it will.

•••
so how many more trades before he hits the jackpot???

•••
domaindigger said:
I was kind of hoping RealitySeries.tv would stick around for another round, but it doesn't look like it will.

I'm kinda losing interest in this, to be honest. My WebPortals.org is #2 currently but I'm just getting bored of it all. I don't think I care what wins anymore. :( If my domain loses, I'll just eBay it off, probably.

•••
correction...
one day and counting to decide which domain moves forward

Last edited:
•••
I bet he will have more traffic to his site because of this "stupid" idea.

•••
ToyBoy3 said:
I bet he will have more traffic to his site because of this "stupid" idea.
Stupid Idea?

This is a perfect idea... Look... He already reached to LLL.mobi

•••
I would imagine that he will have a domain name worth $2XX in this next trade off. At this rate, within a month or two, he should have a domain name worth low $XXXX.

•••
He has very little control over the endeavor. It will depend on the users who submit domains to him. If ppl offer him good domains, then he has a choice. Of the ones in the current list, only about 3 are worth anything that would help his site. The others are around reg fee-$25 or so.

NO ONE VOTE FOR WEBPORTALS.ORG. I'm bored of this idea and I don't want to win.

•••
Archangel said:
He has very little control over the endeavor. It will depend on the users who submit domains to him. If ppl offer him good domains, then he has a choice. Of the ones in the current list, only about 3 are worth anything that would help his site. The others are around reg fee-$25 or so.

NO ONE VOTE FOR WEBPORTALS.ORG. I'm bored of this idea and I don't want to win.
You're bored with the idea? You shouldn't have submitted it in that case. In any case, the chances of you still winning are minimal,if any. YoG.mobi is currently winning by 17 votes, and it ends today. YoG.mobi is definitely a $100-$200 name.

•••
Travis said:
You're bored with the idea? You shouldn't have submitted it in that case.

Don't be stupid. It's human nature to get bored of ideas. This was a stupid idea to me but then it seemed to pick up and I got interested in it. But that interest is gone now.

In case you're wondering, I'm not a "sore loser." I've lost interest in this a day or 2 after the voting began. I still think it has a shot of doing well and I hope the webmaster well, as well (gee, a lot of wells) but I take my hat out of the ring. Good luck to him -- a million-dollar domain still looks impossible but $xx,xxx might be up his alley.

•••
Woah, ThemePros is winning the poll... Damn n00b voters.

•••
ThemePros.com won ... but wait!!!!

this election is gonna end up going like the first Bush/Gore election and a recount is underway :)

"Voting for RealitySeries.tv has ended, suspicious votes in the final 2 hours, run-off vote will be held "

•••
timmaay said:
ThemePros.com won ... but wait!!!!

this election is gonna end up going like the first Bush/Gore election and a recount is underway :)

"Voting for RealitySeries.tv has ended, suspicious votes in the final 2 hours, run-off vote will be held "

What?! I noticed it had like, 5 votes in maybe an hour span -- and that was days ago! This is a FRAUD vote -- YoG.mobi is the clear winner... or did the owner do the same?

The entire vote should be scrapped. :(

•••
I think, I have to write something here since I was the submitter for themepros.com I am sure there was some suspicious activity and its unfortunate that my name was chosen to gull up the votes. Right now, I sent an email to the guy asking him to take my name off the list. YOG.mobi was the winner by all means. Its up to Kello to decide but I would rather like to get out of this mess.

GH

Last edited:
•••
yeah the process is flawed as it stands right now. Any yahoo that fubar the system up, it doesn't have to be owner(s) of the names

kinda hoping it sticks, will interesting to see the names he gets for the lll.mobi

•••
Not sure if you saw it, but it posted in his blog that most of the votes came from proxy.org.

•••
Travis said:
Not sure if you saw it, but it posted in his blog that most of the votes came from proxy.org.

Yeah -- I read that, too. Why hold another vote? ThemePros.com was a complete cheat.

Email confirmation should be implemented again... it'll reduce votes but at least the 4 he gets will be legit.

•••
Archangel said:
What?! I noticed it had like, 5 votes in maybe an hour span -- and that was days ago! This is a FRAUD vote -- YoG.mobi is the clear winner... or did the owner do the same?

The entire vote should be scrapped. :(

As the YoG.mobi guy, I resent the idea that I'd cheat to win. Call me stupid, but, I didn't even know it was possible to mask addresses...:notme:
I think it's a shame that the vote wasn't above board

and the all the illegal votes should be removed from the count.

•••
dontknow said:
As the YoG.mobi guy, I resent the idea that I'd cheat to win. Call me stupid, but, I didn't even know it was possible to mask addresses...:notme:
I think it's a shame that the vote wasn't above board

and the all the illegal votes should be removed from the count.

I didn't say you did cheat. It was a hypothetical statement.

There should be no new vote -- I think it's safe to say that YoG.mobi won. I stopped watching the blog because the LLL had a commanding lead. I was shocked to see this thread and learn the LLL wasn't the winner.

•••
Archangel said:
I didn't say you did cheat. It was a hypothetical statement.

It's cool, I'm only hypothetically offended...:notme:

•••
dontknow, sorry if this offended you.

Thanks,
Rom.

Last edited:
•••
I just can't believe someone would bother to wreck a simple vote...

Last edited:
•••
I voted for yog.mobi a few days ago. I checked the voting status 2 days ago if not yesterday and yog.mobi had a commanding lead. I'm sure the sites owner is looking into what happened and will post what he finds out either here or on his site. If possible, for those with names involved if you care, I'd also do my own little investigation.

Edit, fresh off his site:

I'm writing from the airport in Buenos Aires, Argentina about to board a flight to Uruguay, so this will be brief. The voting for RealitySeries.tv has just ended with several suspicious votes in the last 2 hours. Up until then, YoG.mobi was ahead by a significant lead, and, in the final 2 hours, ThemePros.com finished ahead by 3 votes. Although all from different IP's, the fact that there was a surge in the number of votes with 44 votes (37% of the total) in the final 2 hours (1.1% of the voting period) is highly suspicious. Let me re-emphasize that, 37% of the votes occurred in the final 1.1% of the voting period. At one point there were 11 consecutive votes for ThemePros.com in a 23-minute period. To be fair to the traders, I will hold a run-off vote between the top 2 domains, ThemePros.com and YoG.mobi, requiring e-mail confirmation by voters. I hate to do this, but I find it necessary considering the irregular voter behaviour in the last 2 hours.

I will have another update for you with more details in the next 24 hours.

Andres

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back