IT.COM

From ugly to $1 million, guy wants to trade up his ugly domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domaindigger

Account Closed
Impact
I just saw this on digg and wanted some perspective. This guy wants to trade up his oneuglydomain.com for a more "beautiful" one worth $1 million. It's like that oneredpaperclip idea, but with domains.

My question is, does he have a chance or is this just a parody? I have a couple of dead domains I wouldn't mind trading for if I can feed off the publicity this might generate.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When you say worth 1 million, you mean the domain he wants or the domain he owns?

If its the domain he owns, go ahead, you dont lose anything anyways.

•••
From what I get, he's starting with oneuglydomain.com and is going to trade it up until he ends up with a domain someone is willing to buy for $1 million. Anyone can offer any domain they own, and visitors to the site will choose which offer he should accept during each trade. What I was thinking, if this is serious, is that those domains he is trading will become popular from the publicity of this alone (if this even takes off), just like each trader and item that traded with the oneredpaperclip guy got a lot of PR (especially the snowglobe guy). So if one of my domains ended up being voted and I ended up with one of his domains, it would get my new domain a lot of publicity.

Does that make sense?

•••
rome2ng said:
When you say worth 1 million, you mean the domain he wants or the domain he owns?

If its the domain he owns, go ahead, you dont lose anything anyways.

He wants to trade his bad domain for a slightly better one, then trade that for a slightly better one, then trade that for a slightly better one, and so on. Eventually he wants to get a million dollar domain.

Interesting idea, but I don't think there's too many domainers who are willing to give into his plan.

•••
You can give it a try.

Indeed, domains like this will generate much more traffic (due to publicity).

You will also have a surged pagerank as well, mainly because many news sites (with good PR) will have a link to the domain you got saying "blah.com has been traded for blahblah.com".

•••
CriminalOrigins,

Why do you think many domainers won't be willing to give into his plan? If the experts won't do it, then why would I? I suppose that's kind of what I was asking with my original post.

rome2ng, I didn't think about the pagerank, I guess that's a plus. Maybe even if my domain is not voted, I could still feed off the pagerank if he links to all offers, not just the winning ones.

Last edited:
•••
sounds like a nice idea, lets see if it fly's

•••
domaindigger said:
CriminalOrigins,

Why do you think many domainers won't be willing to give into his plan? If the experts won't do it, then why would I? I suppose that's kind of what I was asking with my original post.

rome2ng, I didn't think about the pagerank, I guess that's a plus. Maybe even if my domain is not voted, I could still feed off the pagerank if he links to all offers, not just the winning ones.

Thats exactly my point.
You will probably be ranked significantly higher in many search engines.

•••
Yeah, and it wouldn't cost me anything either, it's free PageRank. I just saw that he's already had 2 offers. I've got nothing to lose, so I might just offer one of my domains...or create a new one and offer that. Would be interesting to see where this goes.

•••
His blog is a PR0 - if all the blogs etc linking to this scheme are similar it's a waste of time.

•••
I offered newyorkhomeloan.info

That'll really help him on his way to $1 million.

•••
whitebark, the milliondollarhomepage also had a PR0 when it started, and now has a PR7 (if I'm not mistaken). Obviously I would be banking on this things PR growing as news sites, blogs, other high pr websites, whatever, link to it. It isn't even 2 days old judging by his first blog post. Either way, I've got nothing to lose by offering a domain I'm not even using. Plus, from the looks of it, it seems he is indeed posting up all offers as links, so that will help the PR even if it's not the winning offer (ekal, yours isn't up there yet...)

•••
Sounds like fun...I offered up a name

•••
domaindigger said:
... he's starting with oneuglydomain.com ...
no, he's starting with the .net version.

•••
The page cannot be displayed

OK page is now working and I submitted a name. :)

Last edited:
•••
hawkeye said:
no, he's starting with the .net version.

Oops, you're right. Why is he starting with the .NET version if his site is oneuglydomain.COM ? :-/

•••
I don't really think it will work, but I wish him luck.

•••
My name's up there... I'll let you know if it brings an PPC, Page Rank, marriage offers....

•••
•••
I've just offered him my domain SearchMeLawyer.com since I've bought couple days ago another "Lawyer" related domain and I don't need this one anymore.

•••
I bet he will have more traffic to his site because of this "stupid" idea.

•••
cache, I think that's the idea. If this generates enough publicity, then all domains on offer will benefit from the inflow of traffic since he's clearly posting all of them up.

•••
I like this idea, may not work for a million dollars but good luck to him, I just threw 6 domains his way which are not posted yet.

•••
I jumped on the bandwagon an sent him a name!

•••
I offered him MillionaireSOON.net - he will be millionaire soon if his plan works :hehe:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back