.mobi Frank Schilling's take on .mobi

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ekal

Play up Pompey!VIP Member
Impact
Respected domainer Frank Schilling gives his take on .mobi

http://frankschilling.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/03/mobi_cashgrab.html

I think this registry is just a sales organization. They are selling hope for a .com redux. If it's not there (and its not IMO), lots of speculators are going to give up and let renewals lapse and complain about domain names in general. That's bad for the industry. In my opinion these guys are pick and shovel salesmen, selling said picks and shovels in an area with no gold.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
dentalpro said:
... what percentage of "good generic".coms do you think belong to end users vs domainers/domain reits ? not many from what I've seen. Why would .mobi be any higher of a percentage in such a short time?

Before Pinky and .MOBI, how many times have you heard the term (and importance of), "ecosystem" IYHO? :blink:

Thanks for the assist.
-Jeff B-)

•••
-db- said:
cartman.jpg

To amuse myself, I sometimes imagine Jesse's comments coming from Cartman on Southpark.

:lol:

hehe...oh so you wanna play rough ehh! Take that Mr. Mobi! hehehe

I love South Park so much...incredible show.

/back to topic

http://www.domisfera.com/interview-pinkard-alan-brand-dotmobi-mobi-domains/

I just reread parts of that which was directly after the last Traffic auction which created a LOT of buzz around mobi and pretty much launched it with the flowers.mobi sale. Reading some of Pinky Brands comments it's really intriguing today.

I also want to ask why did mobi change from a 2 year minimum registration to 1 year? Isn't that just asking for speculators to come in?

•••
I have to say I am in full agreement of Hawkeyes fine assessment of .mobis selling, only adding that I saw the trend applied to .coms sold too.

Many, many .mobis sold for a decent, although not high price. Why would they? If they did, it would show the name has a high possibilty for being a flop. The fact that .coms selling for $2,000 had a fair amount of simalar like keywords in the.mobi selling for that amount too. What a champ the little .mobi is having many keyword like names selling after only be regged for a few months in simalar prices as the .coms. Don't get me wrong here, I am not saying .mobi grossed as much as .com in that acution. But for an unknown actor it sure has my respect. Just like in the .coms scoreboard, the .mobi prices climbed as the keyword quality got higher.

In other words the .mobi blew my mind. It is only a few months old, as yet has few end users buying it, ( because the brand has not been fully marketed yet) and as the quality of the domain increased the sell price reflected that. What will the prices be when these domains are finally bought by the end users?

I think what Scandiman has said many times on this subject, and that is give the name some time. It will take a lot longer than most of us are going to wait for it to fly. Thats why we see the whiners in some threads. They have no loyalty to the extension. Many will jump ship when they hear some guru in the domain world curse it.

I am pretty sure most though will know to hang on to the names as branding will take a good while to expose its potential. I hope if the jittery types have some good names they sell them to me for cheap, I will sit on them until the market gets hot.

Seeing the results from Traffic auction makes me want to register more .mobi names actually. The auction for .mobi certainly was about what can be expected at this point of time. To think how .mobis sold at this early stage and mostly purchased by resellers, I have to say its not a dud. The names bought will prove to be a bargain.

•••
goodkarmaco said:
I have to say I am in full agreement of Hawkeyes fine assessment of .mobis selling, only adding that I saw the trend applied to .coms sold too.

Many, many .mobis sold for a decent, although not high price. Why would they? If they did, it would show the name has a high possibilty for being a flop. The fact that .coms selling for $2,000 had a fair amount of simalar like keywords in the.mobi selling for that amount too. What a champ the little .mobi is having many keyword like names selling after only be regged for a few months in simalar prices as the .coms. Don't get me wrong here, I am not saying .mobi grossed as much as .com in that acution. But for an unknown actor it sure has my respect. Just like in the .coms scoreboard, the .mobi prices climbed as the keyword quality got higher.

In other words the .mobi blew my mind. It is only a few months old, as yet has few end users buying it, ( because the brand has not been fully marketed yet) and as the quality of the domain increased the sell price reflected that. What will the prices be when these domains are finally bought by the end users?

I think what Scandiman has said many times on this subject, and that is give the name some time. It will take a lot longer than most of us are going to wait for it to fly. Thats why we see the whiners in some threads. They have no loyalty to the extension. Many will jump ship when they hear some guru in the domain world curse it.

I am pretty sure most though will know to hang on to the names as branding will take a good while to expose its potential. I hope if the jittery types have some good names they sell them to me for cheap, I will sit on them until the market gets hot.

Seeing the results from Traffic auction makes me want to register more .mobi names actually. The auction for .mobi certainly was about what can be expected at this point of time. To think how .mobis sold at this early stage and mostly purchased by resellers, I have to say its not a dud. The names bought will prove to be a bargain.

and to think only about 13 of 5600 premium names have been released by mtld...

•••
hawkeye said:
Can't you post without the need show your pompous side to belittle anyone or those who may have higher expectations than you?? You probably told your kids at 4 'there was no Santa Claus, so get with the reality program!!' Maybe staying in that house all the time is starting to get to you. Go play a few slots for awhile, and tip a waitress. Heavily too!!

That kind of attack is just unnecessary here. Seriously, go debate stocks on Yahoo or play WoW if you want pull that "resort to personal attacks because I'm getting owned on the subject at hand" crap, Namepros is better than this.

Think I'm an idiot and none of my business? Ask yourself why 12 months+ of membership, 500 posts, and one lonely little green bar.

And just to play the other side of this a little, no domain sold at Traffic was "cheap" and most of the Mobis sold for 4 or 5 figures, hardly a death spiral.

I'd care much more about the results if it had been a webmaster conference and not primarily domainers. The REAL big news when flowers.mobi sold was that 1800-flowers were bidding too, were any large end-user organizations at this auction?

dentalpro said:
that applies to 98% of the peeps ...

If I add a worthless one-liner reply will that make it 98.001 or was I already in the 98%? :hearts:

•••
Lasher said:
That kind of attack is just unnecessary here. Seriously, go debate stocks on Yahoo or play WoW if you want pull that "resort to personal attacks because I'm getting owned on the subject at hand" crap, Namepros is better than this.

Think I'm an idiot and none of my business? Ask yourself why 12 months+ of membership, 500 posts, and one lonely little green bar.
Lasher my comments were to Labrocca not you or anyone else. We've been going back and forth with each other, and from our pms etc., I don't think the two of us are too personally stressed with our comments to each other. And I'm not one that has to ask for 'reps' or whatevers to place under my avatar to make me feel important! Oooh I have bars and ribbons and all kinds of meaningless notations!! I don't even know what those things stand for, and couldn't care less! So calm down. I've never had anything against you or anyone else in here, it's just bantering. geez.

•••
Hey it's all good. I sent Hawkeye a PM after it appeared our discussion in public was getting a little too heated. He seems like a good guy to me. We just disagree and sometimes people lose their heads. It happens to the best of us. We discussed going to get a drink or something next time he comes to Vegas so I don't think there is any real animosity.

I do like to keep debates on topic though and this discussion has waxed and waned.

Maybe it's time to be locked? Not much left to discuss as far as the topic goes.

•••
actually, some great points and POVs on this thread - and now that calmer minds have prevailed, no reason to shut it down ---

and no reason to hold grudges or ill will towards anyone ---

if you feel you (anyone here, dear readers) have stepped out of line with too personal an attack, I suggest PMs to the individuals to try to work it out --

•••
I think that T R A F F I C auction really "sparked" alot of people one way or the other...funny how each side of the debate sees it diff...such is life.

•••
hawkeye said:
Oooh I have bars and ribbons and all kinds of meaningless notations!! I don't even know what those things stand for, and couldn't care less!

Yeah, what are they for? lol
I guess we should look that up, just for common understanding lol
Bars or no bars, I think you are an OK guy hawkeye ;)

•••
hawkeye said:
Lasher my comments were to Labrocca not you or anyone else.

Your 'comments' were made in a public forum, you don't want public comments on them then keep them to private channels.

Anyway, no hard feelings, getting back to the original topic it is way too early in the game to know which of your positions are right or wrong. As a .MOBI "investor" and therefore a stakeholder in it's future, I know I don't like what I see so far.

•••
its all good in the hood.

(worthless one liner)

•••
mjnels said:
its all good in the hood.

(worthless one liner)

I agree. :hehe:

•••
Moe Java please

To take down this thread is not my idea of learning about this subject. If we are all sitting around a coffee shop talking about the war in Irag, of course there will be differences of opinions. If so the shop owner doesn't shut the doors because some don't agree.

The ones who don't like the subject can move to a different table. Then all of a sudden the room quiets as most find some sort of agreement. If not the ones left at the table are now all friends who respect each other and so the talk can be casual or even if a debate is done, it can be a platform for learning. At least those who gather for coffee will notice calm and enjoy why they came, for the brew and the social scene and to make small talk. Also a lot of great ideas come out of coffee small talk.

So hey friend, what do you think about....

Last edited:
•••
Its okay to have hope and to discuss different scenarios about dot mobis success as long as we don’t start accepting things as facts prematurely. For many domainers that have been locked out of quality dot coms hope of success in new extensions is the only thing that keeps them going. It is true that sometimes too much hope can result in having unrealistic expectations, but discussing different scenarios of success does not mean that we are being unrealistic it just means that we are planning ahead and are prepared incase those expectations materialize. Its okay to be hopeful and to think positively of an extension as long as it does not turn into an obsession that can effect our judgment. It also is okay not to like an extension and to express opinions that might be against the majority’s beliefs as long as those discussions don’t turn insulting and hateful. There are always going to be some people with hidden agendas who want to kill all new extensions at birth before they have a chance to compete with them, but that doesn’t mean that anyone who disagrees about an issue has the same agenda. People with differing opinions should be welcomed and should not be looked at negatively, It is wrong for some members to act as if they own the sub forum for any extension and it is even worst if they conspire together to suppress the opinions of others, such behavior is against the free spirit of any public forum. What brings balance to all this is having an environment that encourages opinions from all members and allows constructive criticisms without resorting to personal attacks.

•••
oldtimer said:
Its okay to have hope and to discuss different scenarios about dot mobis success as long as we don’t start accepting things as facts prematurely. For many domainers that have been locked out of quality dot coms hope of success in new extensions is the only thing that keeps them going. It is true that sometimes too much hope can result in having unrealistic expectations, but discussing different scenarios of success does not mean that we are being unrealistic it just means that we are planning ahead and are prepared incase those expectations materialize. Its okay to be hopeful and to think positively of an extension as long as it does not turn into an obsession that can effect our judgment. It also is okay not to like an extension and to express opinions that might be against the majority’s beliefs as long as those discussions don’t turn insulting and hateful. There are always going to be some people with hidden agendas who want to kill all new extensions at birth before they have a chance to compete with them, but that doesn’t mean that anyone who disagrees about an issue has the same agenda. People with differing opinions should be welcomed and should not be looked at negatively, It is wrong for some members to act as if they own the sub forum for any extension and it is even worst if they conspire together to suppress the opinions of others, such behavior is against the free spirit of any public forum. What brings balance to all this is having an environment that encourages opinions from all members and allows constructive criticisms without resorting to personal attacks.

ooo....well said oldtimer....your choice of names is reminiscient of wisemen of the tribe

•••
oldtimer said:
What brings balance to all this is having an environment that encourages opinions from all members and allows constructive criticisms without resorting to personal attacks.

I agree, and up until the last few months on the .mobi board I cannot recall any personal attackshere at namepros. Sad thing is this thread alone might have more personal attacks than whole sections of namepros.

•••
Who needs 2 watch the male soap opera WWE Monday Night Raw anymore when you can just tune in each and every day at Namepros Night Raw - just messing guys =)

•••
Ah this is minor stuff.

Who knows the future.. we might wake up tomorrow and some tecnology leader will announce some new ext, ( don't laugh its not far fetched) and we will be following that God, uhm, extension.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back