Dominion.Domains

France seizes France.com from man who’s had it since ‘94, so he sues

Labeled as legal in Domain Industry News started by Constantin S, Apr 29, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. Keith

Keith Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. drakeholm

drakeholm Established Member

This might have been a test to see if they could get away with it.

3. catdomains

catdomains New Member

whatever .com is commercially, name of country is brand.. so france.co (colombia) is for sale ^^

4. Montecar

Montecar Upgraded Member Gold Account

I am speaking three languages including French. But I must admit that I like France less and less and I less understand its policy. I like Monaco better.

5. domainer111

domainer111 Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

6. Montecar

Montecar Upgraded Member Gold Account

I am speaking three languages including French. But I must admit that I like France less and less and I less understand its policy. I like Monaco better.
    Domain Name: FRANCE.COM
    Registry Domain ID: 3388638_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.ovh.com Registrar (French Registrar)
    URL: http://www.ovh.com
    Updated Date: 2018-04-30T17:29:49Z
    Creation Date: 1994-02-10T05:00:00Z
    Registry Expiry Date: 2027-02-11T05:00:00Z
    Registrar: OVH Registrar IANA ID: 433

7. Jv1999

Jv1999 Squire of the Tower VIP

The guy should've moved his domain from web.com to some neutral registrar as soon as court proceedings began. Or he should've became his own registrar.

Aren't all web hosting companies registrars too? I mean, why do registrars like HostingDude who offer hosting packages also allow for domain reggae? He should've just shelled some of his earnings to create a web hosting company to become a registrar, then transferred his domain to literally himself.

I mean at the very least he could've transferred his domain to Uniregistry, because Frank wouldn't randomly transfer out a domainer's domain because he wouldn't dare go against his own kind LOL. If Frank did that, he'd meet the rage of all of NP.

8. sellbourne

sellbourne Established Member

Himm.It is very interesting.I had to say good morning France Government ☺️
    If they started a case against to them i have francé.com
    What should i do if they open a case?
    🤔

9. maxtra

maxtra Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP

France owns an entire TLD in .fr.. horrible precedent.

Does this mean America can seize America.com at any moment, or Canada can seize Canada.com, etc.?

Fork up a couple M's and call it good... or use your own TLD if the owner refuses to sell.

Hope this is resolved accordingly.

10. bulkdomainz

bulkdomainz Established Member

Would Netsol have handed over Amazon dot com to any amazon 'country claimant' in this manner?

11. offthehandle

offthehandle . Gold Account VIP

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  12. bulkdomainz

bulkdomainz Established Member

Amazing! I hope France.com comes back this easy to the owner! Nestsol behaved totally idiotic in handing over the name on the basis of a Court order from France without letting the owner US resident owner know. I hope they get stung!

13. panman

panman Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

This story makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.. is there part of a story we’re missing here??? Absolutely wow, is all this can say!!!

14. alwaysforGod

alwaysforGod Peace and Love for All - Professor Domain

An asset that is global should be subject to global regulation, and a case of this nature absolutely should have multiple courts weigh in, and shouldn't have been transferred away so rapidly; unless, of course, (as someone earlier stated) there was something obviously shady being done on the domain that could cause legitimate concern for a nation's safety.

15. domainscot

domainscot Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

This is going to be very interesting case. First I think the owner should receive the domain back. I personally think it was legally stolen from him by using the full force of the state of France to claim it. To me this is very interesting case. Its first time A Goverment has used its power to seize assett. We have seen city dusputes with Barcelona.com and legal presidence was established with that case.

First France does have its own correct domain its France.fr that is the legal aspect of the registry domain for the country as .fr abides with rules french court. France.com to me the domain was stolen and breaks lots laws think even competition laws broken and conflict of interest laws broken.

Everyone has the right to free trade this breaks free trade rules. there is lots at stake here for the whole domain industry. If they win this then every country domain will over timescale will be taken over by state asks for it then it will be major city and town domains. This will not only apply to domains but also all the other social platforms that run along side the domains.

16. larryscott2559

larryscott2559 Established Member

This is such a terrible situation. It's like having your government take half a million dollars from you with basis for doing so. I hope he continues to fight. Doesn't look good for Web.com either. I wonder if Web.com responded to this.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  17. panman

I wonder what the legal requirements are for registrars to simply hand over domain names deemed in violation? Shouldn’t the domain just be ‘frozen’ in circumstances such as this, then sorted?

18. zurc.net

zurc.net Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Are we going to have to start calling them ‘Freedom Fries’ again?

19. mr-x

mr-x Acme Domains Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

At least with a .com, the owner can use American not French courts.

20. Kate

Kate Domainosaurus Rex VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

And while they are it, why not go after the .net and .org and other extensions ?
    Ironically, both the .net and .org are for sale, while the .com was developed and offering bona fide services.

21. vincenzo

vincenzo Active Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

The LaFrance.App domain is available right now, anyone fancy registering it :)

22. panman

What is difficult to comprehend is that the domain in dispute is already being forwarded and used!, It’s email(s) potentially being forwarded/intercepted..

This domain needs to be frozen, icann landing page implemented or similar, notifying people of what’s happening.

Why can’t registries around the world adhere to a common law rule by icann forcing each registrar to force its name servers to be changed until proceedings have finished..

23. DnEbook

DnEbook DataGlasses.Com ★★★★★★★★★★

Good point, I hope you don't have a map of France emoji Erwin?

24. panman

If I did, it’d be flying at half mast 🇫🇷

25. Kate

Kate Domainosaurus Rex VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

It has nothing to do with Icann and UDRP here, it was a 'legal' process.
    Domain disputes can be settled by courts too. UDRP and other arbitration procedures are optional, and do not exist in certain ccTLDs.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!