Dynadot

news Former France.com domain owner asks Supreme Court to consider case

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"In 2019, the French Government decided to gather all French public operators acting internationally under a “France” label, with the aim of unifying and increasing the clarity of France’s action abroad."

Great, France changes their rules for how the world works in 2019 and everybody has to just follow their bandwagon. (I truly believe they would lose this case in a European Court). Is this how this works? I am assuming that this is the reason they went after france.com.
You can read.
Thankyou.

•••
You can read.
Thankyou.
Not sure about your groove here Craig. If I stepped on your digits then I am sorry. Meant no harm. Yes, I can read in several languages each day.

Anyway I am blockading France now!

•••
I feel bad the guy lost a valuable domain. I hope they will rule for him.
Me on the other hand Im glad a country gets to have their domain name so that it can be put to full use.
Just wished they paid the guy or something lol

•••
In 2012 I registered CzechRepublic.fr but later on the registrar removed the domain from my account because of TM. According to Whois in 2014 someone else has regged the name and it looks like it is up for sale now, so I guess their registrar has a bigger balls?

•••
Not sure about your groove here Craig. If I stepped on your digits then I am sorry. Meant no harm. Yes, I can read in several languages each day.

Anyway I am blockading France now!

No issue with you mate.

I was just very tired, and the info was there to be read.

From France's point of view, it is a major international business domain, and will likely stay with them. I obviously feel bad for the original owner, but If a country cannot own or enforce the trademark of their own name...

Last edited:
•••
Very sad... Such a valuable domain.... I really wish he gets it back...

•••
The Dot Com was registered by the US Department of Defense . It was created to do some kind of world commercial trading to connect people and businesses. Basically commerical purposes.

It wasn't created by France. So I think what they did was basically stole the domain, like stealing candy from a baby. Using immunity on a domain name makes no sense. When they could easily solve it by "buying it out". Unless its really complicated, sensitive, and there are almost no choices immunity makes sense. A big country stealing from a US citizen ....

International internet theft is what it is. They have choices, and still to this day they can redress their wrong. And can chose to settle the case peacefully. They have a lot of options still to this day!

•••
Last edited:
•••
France has just "imported" France.com

•••
•••
The Dot Com was registered by the US Department of Defense . It was created to do some kind of world commercial trading to connect people and businesses. Basically commerical purposes.

It wasn't created by France. So I think what they did was basically stole the domain, like stealing candy from a baby. Using immunity on a domain name makes no sense. When they could easily solve it by "buying it out". Unless its really complicated, sensitive, and there are almost no choices immunity makes sense. A big country stealing from a US citizen ....

International internet theft is what it is. They have choices, and still to this day they can redress their wrong. And can chose to settle the case peacefully. They have a lot of options still to this day!
In Sweden, all these country domains were reserved and offered to the countries that had claim to them Some countries didn't take up the offer and these .se domains, which were held in reserve for 15 years, were recently released for anybody to register. Thailand.se is one example.

Last edited:
•••
Timing is probably quite bad with AUSUK, France are not happy with America, so don't think they will care too much about what US supreme court says.

But can a US court order ICANN to transfer the domain back over if previous owner wins the appeal?

•••
Punitive damages in this case are appropriate. Around 1 trillion Dollars.

•••
Punitive damages against fronce that is.

Last edited:
•••
My french isn't as good as it used to be but the last time I checked the French called their country "La France".

Actually, the official name of the country is La République Française (The French Republic), not France.

And, apart from that, there is NOTHING in French law (except the Appeals court decision regarding France.com) that gives the country any right over the name France. Nothing.

•••
Great, France changes their rules for how the world works in 2019 and everybody has to just follow their bandwagon. (I truly believe they would lose this case in a European Court). Is this how this works? I am assuming that this is the reason they went after france.com.

Exactly right. There's nothing in French law to protect the word France. Not one article of law, and no prior jurisprudence (except for the Appeals court decision in the France.com case) There are also more than 200000 trademarks in France (5 last week alone) with the name France, which proves it is not protected under French law.

•••
•••
•••
A trademark for the word "France"...what

What line did this guy cross to lose his domain?

•••
A trademark for the word "France"...what

What line did this guy cross to lose his domain?
I think he sued in France. Basically giving the French Government jurisdiction to preside over who should "win". So the French gov...decided that they should win.

Basically the US court say that, by suing and giving the oversea court the power to preside over your case...and they have spoken.....there is nothing the US court can do now!

Now maybe suing in the EU court ? Or at least go to France and meet the department of tourism and ask them for some money ?

•••
I think he sued in France. Basically giving the French Government jurisdiction to preside over who should "win". So the French gov...decided that they should win.

Basically the US court say that, by suing and giving the oversea court the power to preside over your case...and they have spoken.....there is nothing the US court can do now!

Now maybe suing in the EU court ? Or at least go to France and meet the department of tourism and ask them for some money ?
Sounds a bit corrupt (strong word)...call it strategic

Last edited:
•••
Sounds a bit corrupt (strong word)...call it strategic
What do you mean "corrupt", strategic ? I don't understand.

•••
What do you mean "corrupt", strategic ? I don't understand.
The fact he brought a lawsuit in France, related to his "France" domain, he made a mistake doing that. Maybe I'm using the wrong word, but its really within the government of France's favour this situation. They took advantage of him, and he didn't get paid

•••
The fact he brought a lawsuit in France, related to his "France" domain, he made a mistake doing that. Maybe I'm using the wrong word, but its really within the government of France's favour this situation. They took advantage of him, and he didn't get paid
Ohh yead, definitely sad...

•••
Back