Dynadot

news Former France.com domain owner asks Supreme Court to consider case

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Timing is probably quite bad with AUKUS, France are not happy with America, so don't think they will care too much about what the US supreme court says.

But can a US court order ICANN to transfer the domain back over if previous owner wins the appeal?

Last edited:
•••
Timing is probably quite bad with AUSUK, France are not happy with America, so don't think they will care too much about what US supreme court says.

But can a US court order ICANN to transfer the domain back over if previous owner wins the appeal?
That's a good question - ICANN are a U.S group after all.

Last edited:
•••
One could safely assume that France would be able to afford France.com instead of stealing it. Shouldn't they be using France.eu or France,gov?

•••
Wasted effort, but he put a good fight.

•••
NewZealand.com was retained, France.com was confiscated.

And they keep telling me there is some type of law.

•••
If its owned by french government then game over.
Because diplomacy and upper level networking kicks in, for the countries best interests, which are above this man's needs.

•••
There is wikipedia link on "Atout France" and foreign diplomacy .... There are multiple pages in English and in French.

Adding entries like lawsuit, stolen domain, and controversy about France.com could help. Even with Ausuk ...big media will help alot since its one more reason for Ausuk to exist ....

Last edited:
•••
I hope that they get France.com back, delivered safely in a UK backed Nuclear submarine. :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
This started with the owner of France.com filing a trademark dispute.

And the French stepped in...

AUKUS aside, I think it was a doomed case from that point on.

Remember the TM disputes over Champagne?

Last edited:
•••
My french isn't as good as it used to be but the last time I checked the French called their country "La France".

France is an English word.

•••
•••
France.com redirects to France.fr

•••
•••
The site seems to focus on positive news only.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
"La" is an article.. that's like saying "The" United States.

•••
"La" is an article.. that's like saying "The" United States.
It's still the name of their country in French.

If I owned UnitedStates.com then the US Govt wouldn't be able to claim it from me. The country is called USA for short. The United States of America.

But they could probably claim TheUnitedStatesOfAmerica.com. Anyway .gov is for governments. The guy should have changed his name to Francecom.

Last edited:
•••
... accidental

Last edited:
•••
Interesting. There are a few interpretations about that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_France
Great reading. Just reinforced what I stated. The word France is used by some romantic languages etc and maybe built from the old word Frankreich but it's still not 'France' in French. It's 'La France'. Here it is called Frankrike and is registered privately and I bet they wouldn't complain. So why go after the English name and a guy who has had it for a long time. They should have bought it.

Anyway I really thought the French were super patriotic and for the french language. I guess they have realised that English is just as good.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
"In 2019, the French Government decided to gather all French public operators acting internationally under a “France” label, with the aim of unifying and increasing the clarity of France’s action abroad."

Great, France changes their rules for how the world works in 2019 and everybody has to just follow their bandwagon. (I truly believe they would lose this case in a European Court). Is this how this works? I am assuming that this is the reason they went after france.com.

Last edited:
•••
I feel bad the guy lost a valuable domain. I hope they will rule for him.

•••
Back