Dynadot

For some reason, I've been thinking of quitting domaining recently. Yeah - go figure. I'm sharing the thoughts, feel free to share yours.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
That doesn't mean it's not making money for me. It is. But it's not record-breaking stuff. Though it has better ROI than some other stuff I have currently.

That doesn't mean it consumes a ton of my time. It doesn't - or at least not anymore. I've streamlined stuff. I can get away with as little as 15 minutes a day if I want to. OR take 2 weeks off - completely if I want.

That doesn't mean I won't be holding domain names anymore. I will - some, my best ones. The others? I'd probably either clear or let them drop.

As one of the most frequent posters in the sales thread: You didn't see this coming from me, right?

But there are reasons I'm considering it. I'm sharing my thoughts, please change my mind. Or not.

What is currently changing my ideas:

- I don't like the current status of the market. I've never seen summer days so empty - in the sales thread. And in my own sales.

I'm making a good ROI, was expected to go past 100% soon (edit: might be there already) and past 100K profit per annum - next year. But it looks as if it doesn't get there. The world is going south - economically.

Edit: 100% annual ROI is not very good in business. Stock size vs. earnings I mean It means your stock rotation time is 6 months, which is not great. Say I have $50k in domains, I make $100k in sales, pocket $50k, that's 100% ROI and 6 months rotation.

- It does require investment. Money you keep locked in your names.

So for example with Dotible (my recent project in the sig) I have low costs and high margin - just like most tech startups would do. Domains aren't that. To make $100k you probably need $50k -$100k in assets (unless you are one of the older top domainers who have very good names).

I'd rather swing my investment towards less risk, more reward areas. Such as tech projects as the aforementioned one.

- It's a positive-feedback business, economically. That's not good right now. What I mean here is: If the economy prospers, you get more money; but if things go south, less domains are being sold. That's the positive feedback. And the downtrend has been already visible in 2022 although the business is still working and some are going quite well. But not everyone.

Things are going south worldwide as you know. I can see the writing on the wall.

In such times, good business is either 1) corporate that is solid and won't probably be touched, 2) small business but with very small cost and overhead, you just simply go ahead, or 3) negative feedback ones.

Example for 3: Repairs, pawn shops/loans or whatnot - anything a person would need in times when cash is low so they need to save or borrow etc. Domains are not of this kind.

I'm thinking of cutting a lot of the overhead, keep a minimal portfolio, have it automated... then off to new things and especially one meeting above criteria: negative feedback business OR high margin / in demand stuff, or catering to enterprise customers that would continue to be just fine in such times.

So what do you think? About what I posted above. Feel free to approve it, or criticize this, or maybe offer me some ideas (hopefully) and most importantly share your thoughts. They will be appreciated nevertheless.

P.S. Oh, and please note I'm also not scared or a quitter or whatnot. I do have good planing in general in business, and my instincts and experience tell me this is a turning point. Now. End of August 2022.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My biggest issue is really the lack of opportunities.

In general, reseller prices are far too high for the math to work when it comes to investment.

When you finally do find a good one, Epik takes it from your account a month later, and another party gets the sale. :)

Brad

•••
Here are some tips to weather out the storm:

Have a well-balanced portfolio
Billions of dollars are made in recessions, depressions, and even pandemics. A well-balanced portfolio includes future and current trends. People will still spend money, find the right niches.

Target the rich
Everyday people may be hoarding their money, but people with wealth are spending it. Target higher tier industries and people with wealth. Price domains accordingly.

Target the broke
Regular folks may be buying less, but they are still buying. Target them with low priced names and collect from the bottom of the barrel. With enough quantity, you can still make profit.

Drop the uglies
If you have a large portfolio, liquidate the names you've been on the fence on. Who cares how much you paid or how many years the name is aged. If you can, sell it, if you can't, drop it.

Long-term or short term?
Decide whether you are selling for the long-term or short term. Are you making quick flips and hope to make your money quickly? Then, shorten your portfolio and blast out calls and e-mails. Selling long-term? Have some patience. If you're planning on holding your names for years to come, then the economy right now, or for the next few years, is not a big concern.

Explore other revenue generating ventures, or get a part-time job
If you are not getting any sales, focus on your other skills that are in demand. Learn programming. Maybe get a job at a coffee shop. Whatever it takes to get some money coming in monthly to pay your bills.

Know it'll be okay
We've weathered these storms before. The .com bubble, the financial crisis, the pandemic. No one thought the world would recover. The truth is, people will always need domain names as long as we have internet. What the pandemic has shown us is that people are resilient and the internet always comes back full-swing.

•••
Existentialism.horse.... - .wtf

I guess it is the thrill of the chase...like a beautiful woman...and now you have her and yet you tire of the everyday monotony...she's a 9 out of 10 but such high maintenance...phew!!!

Life can sometimes make no sense at all or it makes complete sense. There are too many tragic tales through history of those that thought that they were on to the next big thing, a sure fire hit. A dead cert. Do you know who really made the money during the gold rush? The guy selling picks and shovels. Go figure..right.

You're probably a bit bored too. It happens. I'd say get better and richer (if that is your true motivation) doing what you already know and aspire to go on to greater things. Life is too short to worry about what may have been or what opportunities you may miss out on.

Personally, I wake up every day and the first thing I think of is domains and it is the last thing that I do everyday. Check one last time whether I've made a sale or not. The adrenaline keeps me hard...at it. I love everything about it. It is what drives me to become totally financially independent and never having to go back to working for a living. This isn't work. Its way too much fun.

Sometimes in life you just have to take your foot off the gas for a while and slow down a little and stop and smell the roses and reflect truly on what is important and what is not.

Everyone has their own journey and as we have never walked a mile in your shoes we can only guess the journey that brought you to where you are today. We should be grateful for the opportunity that being a domain name investor gives us and maybe if you are not happy anymore then you should just go and do something else. Be a llama farmer or a beekeeper but do it well and wake each day and just be happy.

The only guarantee in this life is that there are no guarantees.

Rgrds,

Redd

•••
I like you a lot, @twiki , always read your posts with great interest and sometimes follow some advice as well. However, I have to admit, this post is quite controversial. Of course, it is absolutely normal and logical for anyone to choose a new path that you have a passion for / bring you more money / simply of a less hussle.
The thing is that you've been claiming on every second post here that you are perfect (and immediately!) spotting good names right away. You were saying you know exactly that they will sell at least for high XXX. Matter of fact you were claiming you leave behind tens of such names every day on dropped lists, just because you don't have time to deal with them.

Now, multiply this fact to a portfolio of a few thousands (if I am not mistaken you were going from a portfolio of 20k + to like 4000). So, with the skill mastered and a few thousands names in the portfolio of if you sell thru rate goes down from like 2% to like 0,5% due to market turmoil, it still shouldn't be a huge problem for you.

Not to make this post critical but contributive, I want to add that I actually don't agree with you on a claim that there are lots of useful dropped leftovers every night, on the domains market today. I've been watching them a lot, analyzing thousands. Extremely few, not even jewels, but simply something worth trying. Sure enough, like in a famous theory of a chimpanzee and typing machine, when eternity is given, she will once type ''War and Peace'' - same way lots of such leftovers will sell one day, but to me that day is so far, that no point to take this name.

For me, if I buy names low-cost (hand reg) I prefer going analyzing actual words, trends, niches, key-word popularity and invest in them, rather than pick ups from secondary markets (but I do try to pick up some good quality backorders with Dynadot, though).

With that being said, I definitely do appreciate your honesty and thoughts, cause you aren't scared to look controversial or even weak (which you are definitely not). Your posts are interesting to read and worth the time to reply.

Good luck!

•••
You might be over-thinking this mate. Take a chill pill on your domaining and go out into the world. Find a hot chick, buy a VW camper and go explore. Doesn't need to be over-analysed.
This is some good general advice, that can generally be very useful - thanks.

However, by analyzing your brief analysis, I've came to the conclusion that I'm not over-analyzing too much. I might have to spend some time analyzing the result of my latest analysis to draw some deeper conclusions though.

Joke aside, I'm on the track with VW camper thing already, or something similar.
Buying a mountain spot and building a house there in the ideal place on Earth for me.

Nah, I'm not over-analyzing. I'm not even worried - and I do relax enough on a daily basis. It's something else. But self-check duly done as per your "notification".

As a business person, I've learned over the years that everything can be made or broke by timing. And often it's easier, faster and better to switch lanes rather than staying one that puts you in slow motion or (God forbid) grinds you to a halt.

I run this like a business, sorry but that's what I am (long time multiple SMB owner) and can't help it. Well planning and projections are part of the "day job". I'm seeing where it all goes and this seems to be an appropriate conclusion for the time being.

More its like I'm seeing a lot anyway and my mind is an analytic engine that cannot be shut off, not that it impedes or affects my functioning in any way; but rather it's the way I am, and I feel good like that.

If you look at my posts, they are generally elaborate and with great detail, lots of analysis. So it's rather a personal trait, which works well for me and not an issue caused by worries or something.

Sort of moving my domaining from all-in, to a side gig. The latter being actually the thing you'd do if you buy a camper van and go explore. So in some ways, I'm already doing that - what you suggested.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for being open and starting the thread @twiki and for all you contribute in reflections to NamePros.

This discussion has turned a lot of corners, but here are a few of my own thoughts, mainly on the OP and some of the early discussion.

1. I think it may well be a challenging period economically in domains for some months or possibly longer. There are economic issues in general, and that will carry through. It may create opportunities, as several people mentioned, but it will be challenging.

2. There was a big acceleration in domain names and online during first year of pandemic. That has meant that it is natural there will be lowered demand now for awhile. There will still be opportunities, but they will be different from a couple of years ago. Probably the people with names people upgrade to will be best off.

3. I think the way many well-known domainers got into NFTs has created a link between the two that is not natural to my thinking, perhaps too simple. I think the road for NFTs will continue to be wildly volatile and it is not good to be dragged into that.

4. Many things are better decentralized. I am not sure that decentralized domains are one of them. A well-run centralized system, with appropriate guides and controls, is best for domain names in my opinion. The trades in decentralized represent a lot of money. Some of the opportunities and problems have created in end user eyes uncertainty in domain names in general. Not good and I don't see way out of it soon. I may be wrong. Most very smart domain people I admire are into decentralized domains to some degree. Just expressing my own opinion here.

5. I think the domain industry is ripe for genuine innovation that end users will see resulting in something better for them. I hope it happens.

6. I don't think we should overlook the impact of the renewal rate increases. The two .com increases so far 'just' represent a bit over 14% increase, but I think the economics are such that many investors, with a 14 or 15% difference move from making a modest amount to losing. The main other domainer extensions have either gone up, .xyz and .co and before that .io, or are about to, .net with 10% rise early in new year. Many people need to be really wise re what to renew, and try to build a better, but perhaps smaller, portfolio.

7. There are people, including relatively new investors, building portfolios and doing very well. I think there is no time, though, that it is necessary to have a clear plan, be disciplined, and be educated on many topics. I truly admire people who have done their own thing successfully. Double thanks to those who have shared along the way.

8. Thinking aloud changes in direction always a good thing. I read Twiki original post as this. He says repeatedly he is not getting out of domains, but perhaps less emphasis. Most balance several businesses or investment interests. Nothing wrong with changing how much time goes into domaining.

Thanks again Twiki.

Bob

•••
@twiki - thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I'm in this game from 2015 and I can say that even if today is the end of the world I don't regret nothing. I'm maintaining a small portfolio and have no stress at all. I still like this business from day one on.

I can understand your thinking because you're on a different level than me and you have probably invested serious money in your portfolio. I would like to thank you for all your postings and your sales reports were always inspiring.
I wish you all the best whatever you'll decide to do. (y):xf.smile:
I'll still hang around and post stuff. No worries :xf.smile:

It's rather a personal decision.

And the world is not ending.

•••
Only theoretically. This is not exactly like buying stocks or something.

There are other factors at play, such as scalability (not enough supply for that), time (limited) and more.

And there are other factors at play as well. Including the fact that if current sales trend continues, I will have much less profit by the end of the year.

(edited - to early for me to do math without coffee)

Well, stocks are not exactly a guaranteed income either. And, of course, with stocks, if you could show few years of track record of making just 20% ROI consistently, you'd have no problem of raising billions of investors' money.

And here you guys are talking about 100%-150% as something not worthy and having better options. That is bogus.

I can relate with the scalability part though. But that is challenge for any business after certain stage. Even HD, if it started today, would struggle to reach 8-9 million domain portfolio size.

Scaling to thousands is not hard, scaling to tens of thousands is challenging (my current stage), scaling to hundreds of thousands is a huge task nowadays.

Last edited:
•••
You might be over-thinking this mate. Take a chill pill on your domaining and go out into the world. Find a hot chick, buy a VW camper and go explore. Doesn't need to be over-analysed.

•••
True, and well said.

I am not bored, will always have an interest in domains. But hmm, there are other avenues now. Which have always been there, however I waited a lot until taking the plunge.

TBH the main factor is still economy. I don't like gliding on a downwards slope, like I felt the market in 2022. I don't like having an car when there's a flood and you are probably going to need a boat. In some ways, that's how I sense domaining right now, domaining as a business not just a side gig (I'm okay with that).

That's probably my main turnoff right now. Perhaps a bit too much skin in the game, expecting smaller results in the future - for the reasons I have discussed. IT always felt growing growing for years, well in 2022 it definitely went in the opposite direction
But what if you could have a car that was also a boat and a boat that was also a car!!! I think that we can ride out the downturn in the economy and just keep doing what we do. The pandemic was a major hurdle for us all and I'd guess like many I just rolled up my sleeves, pivoted a little and got through to the other side. In truth, I don't think it will get much worse if at all and that only means one thing...everything from here on in goes in one direction...UP. In two years time you will be selling lie you didn't have a care in the world and you will look back and wonder what all the fuss was about. We're still here. We're still standing.

I'm more excited about the future now than I was a couple of years ago when I really didn't have a Scooby Doo (clue) what I was doing. I figured it out, set forth a plan and I put it into action.

There are too many tales of woe but your success gave hope to many that there was light at the end of the tunnel which wasn't a train coming to run us down.

You could always start investing in hyphenated names LOL. Now, there is a challenge.

Rgrds,

Redd

•••
Hey, don't be depressed. That was not my intent anyway.

It's not like I don't make money. I do.

But I'm also aware this is not the same as it was 1-2 years ago.

Who knows what the future holds. I'm just preemptive due to my business-formed instinct. (might be right, might be wrong)

The biggest problem I see now for my model is that clearance doesn't work anymore. I clear better and better names and get fewer and fewer sales, close to 0 in the last months.

But other domainers are still making good money and each one's portfolio is different. I'm talking just about my particular case and thoughts.

You are absolutely correct -- its not the same as it was. I know exactly where you're coming from.

I dont know what it is, blame it on the global pandemic or the globally depressed economy. I really dont know. All I know is I've been in this domaining business for 22 years and never, ever have I experienced over a year of no sales. Last sale (was a lease) was April 2021. Before that August 2020. TONS of inquiries though. Same number, perhaps slightly lower number of inquiries but sales - gone. Its a stage-1 drought.

Some give advice to do outbound. I have never done outbound in 22 years and wont start now. Too much chance of being labeled a spammer and domainers already get a bad rap for being "squatters". So no, no outbound. I've always done very well, happily well, listing domains at marketplaces and auction sites. It doesnt seem to be working anymore. My names arent stellar domain names but they're also not pigeon crap either. The fact that they receive what I perceive to be legitimate offers tells me they're worth something, but not $10 or even $100. LOL.

So, I, too, have been considering exiting and that consideration didnt begin today, last month or even earlier this year. I've been contemplating it for at least a year now, waiting for the market to pick up... its beyond frustrating now.

•••
@twiki - thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I'm in this game from 2015 and I can say that even if today is the end of the world I don't regret nothing. I'm maintaining a small portfolio and have no stress at all. I still like this business from day one on.

I can understand your thinking because you're on a different level than me and you have probably invested serious money in your portfolio. I would like to thank you for all your postings and your sales reports were always inspiring.
I wish you all the best whatever you'll decide to do. (y):xf.smile:

•••
I’ve gotten in and out of domaining a few times over the last 20+ years. I usually keep my core top names and then just kind of check out for a while. Keep up on renewals, cash a few sales, it’s an easy side hustle.

You can always scale back up later. Once you’ve found a profitable model and are able to identify quality, that skill set is locked in. You can always jump back in a little heavier whenever you want.

•••
I have learned a lot from your post since I became a member around 2 years ago. I think with .com price increases and people not renewing a certain percentage of their names because of this increase, will allow for domainers who have the eye, work ethic, and patience to buy names now when things are slowing down and economy is shaky right now, strike while there is blood in the streets. So either lighten up and pursue other projects, or hustle now and find the value that will come in next month when drops start coming post price increases. Just my opinion and I respect your decision and insights and whatever you do will be the best decision for yourself and your family (if you have one, not sure).
Best of luck and keep us posted.

PS: IMO the sales thread lack of reporting may not be a function of no sales, it may be a function of inexperienced comments/questions that clutter the thread. I personally have stopped reporting sales because it isn't worth the comments/questions that ensue from posting the sale. I have now posted on Twitter and enjoy this much better.

Last edited:
•••
Appreciate you sharing your position @twiki. I admire you posting something like this. The point you're at in your life matters. Other things are becoming a priority for you. You mention going the tech route, investing in tech projects that you feel are worthwhile. I love that. You know best about the inner workings of your business, you may feel it would be productive (or better) easing off with some of your domain activities. When it comes to domains, I can tell you I've dropped my portfolio significantly, and will allocate capital to a small handful of quality domains, that I feel are worthwhile in biotech (to keep). Its private, still need to put the money in place. I'll be able to talk about it at some point. You aren't a quitter, you're simply doing what you feel is right

Last edited:
•••
Try putting yourself in my shoes lol. Over 4 years and not even a lowball offer or fake offer. I'm constantly on here or twitter trying to get exposure for my names . I know everyone says patience but I've had a few of these names from the beginning. And yes there's a lot of crap there too but a few of them should have received some kind of offer by now. It's demoralising and hard to keep pressing on for zero reward. I'm extremely busy at work too so don't have much time to do any more than I already do. I admit I only have 6 I will renew forever or until sold . Anyway back to the day job for me. Hope you guys have a fantastic day 😀

•••
Also, @VadimK

By looking at your sig, apart from the 4-letter .com, there is a ton of similar stuff not taken at drop.

I was also talking only about 4-figs. In 3-fig? Lot of stuff to sell. I just don't go for that anymore. For example good geo domains, everyday niches, and countless niches I don't go into.

This sig I put up many months ago and never changed ever since (2 times, when sold names, replacing) - so, it's not my best names (what's the point to advertise best to domainers? I need no ''reseller'' sales) , however I obviously disagree that there are ''tons of similar stuff'' . Bring me a sample of anything decent with ''crypto'' or ''art'' at drops - no way you have a somewhat close to good combination. Same with any clean ''two words'' or GEO... Brandables - yes, of course cause anything can be brandable in theory.

Last edited:
•••
I’ve been there , done that , I did it for a little over 2 years , returned quite refreshed and made another pretty successful run . Now I am out . I retired about a month ago from my day job , I also retired from domaining , as far as buying inventory goes , I am holding inventory , but not actively looking or pursuing selling any of my domain inventory , I will let it sell as it sells, if it doesn’t sell , I will hold it .

It’s not a bad thing to step out, it actually did me a lot of good, break off from the riff raft and recalculate my goals in the industry and establish a forward plan when reentering .

I will always be around the domain industry , just as a onlooker now . I had a person ask me if I was over the domain addiction lol , I can truly say I am over the addiction 😂, I still love the industry as much as I ever had though.

Last edited:
•••
- Never saw anything interesting in the insiders lounge. Not for me. ( I will obviously not post anything there anyway, given the limited NP presence I have from now on. )
What about a level deeper than the insiders lounge, such as, the Professional Appraisals section? For example, this more recent professional appraisal levels up all previous appraisals and sets a whole new bar on domain asset value data collection and research: https://www.namepros.com/threads/i-purchase-com-keep-or-drop.1283853/ - (Note: The link is only accessible by VIP and Gold members)

There's a few people that like to read those with their morning coffee, for both entertainment and educational purposes. Did you know there were 34+ IP (Intellectual Property) evaluation methodologies? :)

I get it though, Every decade or so, I burn out and need a refresh and purge before jumping back into the deep end of the swimming pool. I'm rotating back in while it looks like you are thinking of rotating out. Just keep in mind, even when on outer rotation to focus on other ventures and scaling, it's handy to keep at least one finger on the pulse of a constantly changing industry, to stay in the loop, so your rotation back in later (when ready) is smoother.

In my opinion, If there's only 1 thing you do moving forward to stay connected to the pulse (While scaling your ventures), reading entertaining and educational hand crafted/original domain asset evaluations, leveraging the Intellectual property evaluation methodologies, just seems like a good add to the arsenal of industry reading materials.

Personally, I think the professional appraisal section is worth clicking the "Watch Section" link for automated alerts. Maybe even a bookmark.

At any rate, regardless what you decide or where in your rotation you are, I wish you and your ventures the best of success.

Last edited:
•••
Existentialism.horse.... - .wtf

I guess it is the thrill of the chase...like a beautiful woman...and now you have her and yet you tire of the everyday monotony...she's a 9 out of 10 but such high maintenance...phew!!!

Life can sometimes make no sense at all or it makes complete sense. There are too many tragic tales through history of those that thought that they were on to the next big thing, a sure fire hit. A dead cert. Do you know who really made the money during the gold rush? The guy selling picks and shovels. Go figure..right.

You're probably a bit bored too. It happens. I'd say get better and richer (if that is your true motivation) doing what you already know and aspire to go on to greater things. Life is too short to worry about what may have been or what opportunities you may miss out on.

Personally, I wake up every day and the first thing I think of is domains and it is the last thing that I do everyday. Check one last time whether I've made a sale or not. The adrenaline keeps me hard...at it. I love everything about it. It is what drives me to become totally financially independent and never having to go back to working for a living. This isn't work. Its way too much fun.

Sometimes in life you just have to take your foot off the gas for a while and slow down a little and stop and smell the roses and reflect truly on what is important and what is not.

Everyone has their own journey and as we have never walked a mile in your shoes we can only guess the journey that brought you to where you are today. We should be grateful for the opportunity that being a domain name investor gives us and maybe if you are not happy anymore then you should just go and do something else. Be a llama farmer or a beekeeper but do it well and wake each day and just be happy.

The only guarantee in this life is that there are no guarantees.

Rgrds,

Redd

True, and well said.

I am not bored, will always have an interest in domains. But hmm, there are other avenues now. Which have always been there, however I waited a lot until taking the plunge.

TBH the main factor is still economy. I don't like gliding on a downwards slope, like I felt the market in 2022. I don't like having an car when there's a flood and you are probably going to need a boat. In some ways, that's how I sense domaining right now, domaining as a business not just a side gig (I'm okay with that).

That's probably my main turnoff right now. Perhaps a bit too much skin in the game, expecting smaller results in the future - for the reasons I have discussed. IT always felt growing growing for years, well in 2022 it definitely went in the opposite direction

•••
You are absolutely correct -- its not the same as it was. I know exactly where you're coming from.

I dont know what it is, blame it on the global pandemic or the globally depressed economy. I really dont know. All I know is I've been in this domaining business for 22 years and never, ever have I experienced over a year of no sales. Last sale (was a lease) was April 2021. Before that August 2020. TONS of inquiries though. Same number, perhaps slightly lower number of inquiries but sales - gone. Its a stage-1 drought.

Some give advice to do outbound. I have never done outbound in 22 years and wont start now. Too much chance of being labeled a spammer and domainers already get a bad rap for being "squatters". So no, no outbound. I've always done very well, happily well, listing domains at marketplaces and auction sites. It doesnt seem to be working anymore. My names arent stellar domain names but they're also not pigeon crap either. The fact that they receive what I perceive to be legitimate offers tells me they're worth something, but not $10 or even $100. LOL.

So, I, too, have been considering exiting and that consideration didnt begin today, last month or even earlier this year. I've been contemplating it for at least a year now, waiting for the market to pick up... its beyond frustrating now.
Many guys think that domaining can be a full time job and have high hopes. For me is a side hustle. Buy only names you will keep at least for 10 years, auto renew or transfer if any good transfer deals. If you don't get the price you want over eight years, reduce the price for the next two years to cover the loss if possible. In the meantime if they are good names, their value will increase and it's likely that you will get- at least- your money back.

Last edited:
•••
I understand! I've been domaining for more than 20 years now, and what you're going through isn't new to anybody that has been at it for a long time. Making 100k as you mentioned in your post is a great feat in domaining. Truth be told, few ever do that. Sure, the economy is in a slump. The real economic indicators -- the ones economists used to look at before all this political correctness like the 10 year Treasury and two quarters in a row being down on consumer buying are already indicating a recession. It's a cycle. We've seen it before and we'll see it again. Bigger Booms come with bigger busts! Hold on to your good names my friend or sell them cheap to me! ...LOL... Good luck with whatever you decide.

•••
The problem you mentioned is not just a problem in the domain name industry,
The current state of the global economy is very bad,
The epidemic has been going on for many years,
It has severely hit various industries,
Just imagine if the market for domain names is not good, will other industries become better?
I have met many friends who have entered the real industry to start their own businesses in recent years,
Now we have to worry about store rent and employees' salaries every month,
I have seen a person who made a lot of money on domain names at that time reinvest in BTC,
At present, the loss of ten cents is gone

•••
Appreciate you sharing your position @twiki. I admire you posting something like this, quite genuine

The point you're at in your life matters. Other things are becoming a priority for you. You mention going the tech route, investing in tech projects that you feel are worthwhile. I love that. You know best about the inner workings of your business, you may feel it would be productive (or better) easing off with some of your domain activities. When it comes to domains, I can tell you I've dropped my portfolio significantly, and will allocate capital to a small handful of quality domains, that I feel are worthwhile in biotech (to keep). Its private, still need to put the money in place. I'll be able to talk about it at some point. You aren't a quitter, you're simply doing what you feel is right
I have been downsizing too. Intensively but not aggressively. Rather let them expire naturally and focused on less, more pinpoint buys.

Will see where this goes... So far the results have been good. I just have a less satisfactory feeling about the future right now.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back