IT.COM

For a rough idea of your domain name's value

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will using the average of some appraisal tools be a good determinant?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

• No

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Leonariel

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

I am new to Namepros and also to the domain name sphere. Through my readings, I came to realize that a domain name's value is quite relative. In other words, there are many factors that "determine" its value or give an indication of its value.

On one hand, we have appraisal site/tools like Estibot, DomainIndex, Valuate, Epik and many more. On the other hand, it's also said that a domain name's value is determined by the buyer: a domain name is valued as much as the buyer is willing to pay for it.

I have also read many times buyers asking whether they should sell at the price stated by the seller or hold on for a better offer. Knowing how much a domain name cost to either register or buy, don't you think by having an AVERAGE VALUE of your domain names would make your sales easier and with no bitter taste in your mouth?

I am thinking of using the average of some appraisal tools' values (I used 5 in total), in order to have a fair idea about the price of my domain names. [ = PRODUCT(SUM(G1,H1,I1,J1,K1),1/5) ] (formula when using Excel).

What do you think? Would this really work?

Your objective views are welcome! Thank you!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some of these estimating sites have some quirky values, and some give $0 values. You might get a better idea of value by considering the mode rather than the mean.

•••
Thank you @Kuffy!

However, can you please elaborate on "the mode rather than the mean"?

•••
Hi

if you continue to read thru the forum....
you may come across some posts that say "automated appraisal values" are worthless.

so, when figuring your average, keep that in mind.

imo...

•••
@biggie, thank you for your comment. I will keep that in mind!

•••
...What do you think? Would this really work?

Short version: nope!

Rationale: appraisals are a useful indicator, to be sure, but something that should be taken with a ton of salt! There are many other real world considerations on both sides, that of the seller and the buyer. Domaining is an art, not a science that would let itself be easily summed up in a mathematical equation.

And since you happened to mention Epik in this context, here is an interesting case study that should give you some food for thought on the subject of "expert" domain valuations and FMV (fair market value)...
https://www.namepros.com/threads/epik-escrow-review-questions.1021843/

Oh, and welcome to NamePros!

•••
@Domains - Wanted, thank you so much as well. So much insights to share. Thank you all guys!

•••
The problem is not appraising domains but finding buyers.
There is very little liquidity in domain names (except for the very best), so while a given domain could be worth $,$$$ the buyer may never come.
No buyer, no value.

•••
Use nambio . com to get an idea of past sales to get an idea of what your name may potentially sell for.

•••
I love it @urlurl. I will definitively try that. Thank you!

•••
No, it will not work my friend !

Here's an example for a friend's domain : Estibot $5,000 , DomainIndex : $8,000,000 !!!
(BTW the domain is low value...both appraisals are off)
If you average the 2, you will get around $4,000,000.

Check the stats provided like search volume , CPC etc but don't believe the appraised value....

•••
Use nambio . com to get an idea of past sales to get an idea of what your name may potentially sell for.

sorry i meant namebio . com

•••
No, it will not work my friend !

Here's an example for a friend's domain : Estibot $5,000 , DomainIndex : $8,000,000 !!!
(BTW the domain is low value...both appraisals are off)
If you average the 2, you will get around $4,000,000.

Check the stats provided like search volume , CPC etc but don't believe the appraised value....
@Asfas1000, I think you make sense, just like other people here. Thumbs Up!

However, here is my question: do you have any "trick" as far as using search volume, CPC and the likes is concerned? Or I will be glad if you can elaborate on it (search volume, CPC).

Thank you!

•••
@Asfas1000, I think you make sense, just like other people here. Thumbs Up!

However, here is my question: do you have any "trick" as far as using search volume, CPC and the likes is concerned? Or I will be glad if you can elaborate on it (search volume, CPC).

Thank you!

Well the search volume is how many times a term is searched per month, below 100 / mo is really low (although it may work) and above say 5,000 is considered rather high.

As for CPC, it's how much advertisers (for these keywords) are paying for a click. The higher the better obviously. If it's very low, it could mean that the keywords are not commerially viable (think free stuff or just educational)

•••
@Asfas1000, that is quite impressive, the information you shared. Thank you!

But, what about a domain name whose details are as follows: 390 searches /mo and $5.94 USD as CPC. Is it any good?

•••
But, what about a domain name whose details are as follows: 390 searches /mo and $5.94 USD as CPC. Is it any good?

The metrics are not bad , but still impossible to say without knowing the actual domain...

•••
OnAllFour .com is the domain name @Asfas1000.

•••
It's an idiom and I think it's not proper English, should be "on all fours".

I can't see commercial value and to be honest I don't understand the high CPC. The only thing that is relevant is a website onall4 . ca

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back