IT.COM

new gtlds Everyone saying to not invest in gTLD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Steger13

Established Member
Impact
I was lookong at other gTLD and ccLD to see if i could get any one words L, LL, LLL, LLLL of anything and its all taken! every where in all the gtld and cctld. So why everyone on the interenet sais to not invest in those? Everyone already invested there. I dont get it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.gtlds being trivialised by .commie cartel because their 'valuable' .com domain is being marginalised by more streamlined, better looking, better sounding, more luxurious domain options where available

more luxurious? how? You mean more expensive?

•••
problem is a number of these ngtlds look like they are going to fail - and a lot of them are likely to charge exorbitant renewal fees - so you're taking a chance spending a lot of time and money on an ngtld project. Most of the ngtld registrations are speculative - domainers jumping from one promotion to another - and it looks like it is already running out of steam - numbers are already falling substantially and you've got the xyz 1 cent cliff face looming. Here's the ntldstats screenshot for the last month:

upload_2017-5-17_17-14-23.png

•••
expand the timeline
see the climb
think long term

•••
Really? I thought that no . was better for domain because its easyer for ppl to remember?

nope
no .com is easier to remember
they're too long and ugly vs superior gtld equivalent

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
of course the climb will be steep at the start - if you're starting at zero.

Interesting to look at two of the new extensions - .lol currently has 54,000 domains in 'upcoming delete' mode - that's 67% of its total registration. So not looking great. Even .lol had 25k registrations within a week of launch.

upload_2017-5-17_22-28-37.png

But .fun has been launched for 6 weeks now, and even with massive publicity campaign has got to just 7800 registrations, barely 50 to 100 domains a day being added at the moment. There's too many new extensions and there's too little demand. Here's .fun graph.

upload_2017-5-17_22-32-55.png

•••
JQXT.com will sell JQXT.biz or .internet will probably never sell
Because such sample is just random 4L.
CVCV/VCVC or something other brandable - can be sold...

•••
I say invest a few grand for 2 to 3 years. If you are even (like me) or slightly higher than your yearly cost, keep the domain names, else start dropping. Blindly rejecting new gTLDs is a wrong approach. Which names to drop depends on the traffic (type ins), previous offers, search numbers, and number of domain names already registered for the same keywords (including gTLD) in other TLDs.

•••
Invest into .com!! And theres nothing to worry about

•••
•••
All this .com vs gtld's story remind me the fall of the roman empire...
And now you have Italia, a country surrounded by other countries.

•••
.gtlds being trivialised by .commie cartel because their 'valuable' .com domain is being marginalised by more streamlined, better looking, better sounding, more luxurious domain options where available

car.finance is simply better than carfinance.com

digital.marketing is simply better than digitalmarketing.com
If both were available for reg at the same price it should be obvious which is the better investment TODAY.

No matter how small the odds there is a chance my numbers for the lottery will be chosen and I will be a millionaire. How many of you will invest in my ticket?

Last edited:
•••
So What is the best thing to do then? Seams that everyone has their own thoughts about this topic. Lot of confusions with this. :banghead:

•••
So What is the best thing to do then?

You are not going to get everyone to agree on one answer. Do you know anyone here on NP that you respect their opinion more than the others? If so, I would "follow" them and their posts.

•••
So What is the best thing to do then? Seams that everyone has their own thoughts about this topic. Lot of confusions with this. :banghead:

try 1 domain at <$50

DO NOT BUY PREMIUM PRICING .. VERY BAD IDEA w.r.t. ROI

do not buy any more until you sell 1

Last edited:
•••
try 1 domain at <$50

DO NOT BUY PREMIUM PRICING .. VERY BAD IDEA w.r.t. ROI

do not buy any more until you sell 1

do not buy any more until you sell 1" thats hard to do. lol
Thanks for help!

•••

So, it appears now that not "everyone on the internet says to not invest in ngtlds"? :)

Now when you escaped from the matrix, it is time for research.

Check Namepros threads, namebio.com, sold.domains, dnjournal.com for reported ngtld sales. Become a member of ngtld forum - you can easily find the link - and read it in a whole.

Carefully analyze reported sales and try to register few similar names. If you have no large enough cashflow, don't register very expensive premium domains. Nowadays most of ngtlds are available, for the first year, at the registration cost of .com or less , and there are many nice names still unregistered.

You need clear business plan. Don't rely on possible ngtld sales to pay off renewals, until you finally realize what names will sell.

Take any advise with grain of salt. Follow the numbers. Get ngtld zone files and check what extensions got many end user registrations, what extensions got many developed websites already.

Follow all famous domain forums/blogs/media regarding ngtlds. Try to focus on not what people think of ngtlds but rather on facts they report. Sometimes going through lengthy discussions you will find only a small bit of useful info - but that info can help a lot.

In other words, do what all domainers must do if they want their domain business to be profitable in any niche: thorough research. Replace "ngtld" with "gtld" or "cctld" to be profitable with them.

•••
This:

I'm not sure there's a lot making serious profit.

I remember this one thread started by somebody to hype their new gtld sales. This was the title of the thread:

Just Broke $25K of gTLD Domain Sales in less than 12 months

here are some of the first responses:

Congrats on your sales !

Nice sales.

Impressive sales, congrats!

until I pointed out - "$45,000 to make $25,000 is - $20,000."

Yes, sold $25,000, but spent $45,000

I just returned from Domain Europe conference yesterday. At the conference a domainer, I wont name any names, went on stage to enthusiasticly talk about his gTLD portfolio and its success. To be fair he himself said he had a 5 year perspective on them, but I think he was being optimistic. Also some of his names he already owned for 2-3 years.

He told us he was averaging yearly sales of 12-15K USD per year. Really good huh. Or... Each year he paid renewals of 88K USD. A yearly loss of at least 65K USD. Luckily this guy had another business to fund his ventures. But to call it a success is a bit far fetched.

•••
This:

I just returned from Domain Europe conference yesterday. At the conference a domainer, I wont name any names, went on stage to enthusiasticly talk about his gTLD portfolio and its success. To be fair he himself said he had a 5 year perspective on them, but I think he was being optimistic. Also some of his names he already owned for 2-3 years.

He told us he was averaging yearly sales of 12-15K USD per year. Really good huh. Or... Each year he paid renewals of 88K USD. A yearly loss of at least 65K USD. Luckily this guy had another business to fund his ventures. But to call it a success is a bit far fetched.

to say these are frightening stats is an understatement. run people, run.

for 70k a year you could still build yourself a beautiful .com portfolio with much less risk.

everyone says 5 years. we are already in year 4 and nothing has happened!

Last edited:
•••
So, it appears now that not "everyone on the internet says to not invest in ngtlds"? :)

Now when you escaped from the matrix, it is time for research.

Check Namepros threads, namebio.com, sold.domains, dnjournal.com for reported ngtld sales. Become a member of ngtld forum - you can easily find the link - and read it in a whole.

Carefully analyze reported sales and try to register few similar names. If you have no large enough cashflow, don't register very expensive premium domains. Nowadays most of ngtlds are available, for the first year, at the registration cost of .com or less , and there are many nice names still unregistered.

You need clear business plan. Don't rely on possible ngtld sales to pay off renewals, until you finally realize what names will sell.

Take any advise with grain of salt. Follow the numbers. Get ngtld zone files and check what extensions got many end user registrations, what extensions got many developed websites already.

Follow all famous domain forums/blogs/media regarding ngtlds. Try to focus on not what people think of ngtlds but rather on facts they report. Sometimes going through lengthy discussions you will find only a small bit of useful info - but that info can help a lot.

In other words, do what all domainers must do if they want their domain business to be profitable in any niche: thorough research. Replace "ngtld" with "gtld" or "cctld" to be profitable with them.
Thanks good info. B
to say these are frightening stats is an understatement. run people, run.

for 70k a year you could still build yourself a beautiful .com portfolio with much less risk.

everyone says 5 years. we are already in year 4 and nothing has happened!

Interesting..i think you are right, specially when you are a beginners like me.
Thanks

•••
Invest in the good ones... leave the mediocre ones

The one word gTLD's have value, they have sold and domainers have made money.
That said, they will never be a .com, and 2 or 3 word gTLD's will probably never pay off unless you hit exactly the right ones.

Completely agree with that - I've had mixed results so far, but I do believe there are still a few good 2 and 3-word ones waiting for the right developer or end-user.

•••
I was lookong at other gTLD and ccLD to see if i could get any one words L, LL, LLL, LLLL of anything and its all taken! every where in all the gtld and cctld. So why everyone on the interenet sais to not invest in those? Everyone already invested there. I dont get it?
Follow your instincts.

Personally, I wouldn`t look for 1-2-3 or 4L new gTLDs unless they are meaningful.

Generic & Keyword - This is where you should focus more for G`s.

If you are new in domaining I would suggest you to train your domaining skills on dot com since the cost of wrong choices is not a big problem in this part of the industry.

A good domain is a good domain no matter what the extension is.

•••
This:

"its success" is losing $65,000 a year. Insane. All that money he could easily load up on good .coms on the aftermarket and actually make a profit each year. It's like the example I gave earlier, when did losing money equal success. It's like the example I gave earlier, when did losing money equal success.

Last edited:
•••
This:

Did he also said that he paid 88K for the renewals?

Or is it just your estimation?

Cause you said he talked about his success...

So, it doesn`t really sound like his words.

Last edited:
•••
Did he also said that he paid 88K for the renewals?
Or is it just your estimation?
Cause you said he talked about his success, I don`t think he stated that.
Seriously?

All his own figures he made public on stage. Check with anyone that was there.

12-15K income per year.
88K average renewals per year.
At least 65K losses.

I think he was very enthusiastic because he had his own test in which he "won" over.com. Based on a waitress named Carol (named altered to protect his identity). He called it the Carol test. He and some friends were at a restaurant and their waitress was named Carol. So they asked would you prefer Carol.com or Carol.world (which he owned). The waitress preferred Carol world, which apparently gave him the impression that the corporate world felt the same when presented with the option between a .com and a nGTLD.

So he won the Carol test. But lost 65K yearly..

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back