Dynadot

offers Ever say no to this? Bought on Friday $600, Offered $5000 on Saturday.

NameSilo
Watch

LarryDomain

Top Member
Impact
So I bought a name that was catchy because it was a nickname I used for my son for $600 on Friday. Two days later, someone offers 1k for it..I say no..they raise it eventually to $5,000. It was hard, but I still said no.

Sometime sons are more important!

;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you don't take that offer you will regret it severely in the future.

This happens a lot.

You have interest in a name and you get an offer soon after you reg it.

So you think it is a great name and you will get lots of other offers.

Then a few years go by and you have been renewing the name and still no other offers.

Now you wish you sold the name when someone offered you good money for it.

The thing is you never know if you will get another offer on it.

It is a good amount of money, and if you have a gut feeling that this is a very specific name that not many other people will want then you should take the $.

Then put the money away for your son's college or whatever.

•••
Remember people OP probably has a great job/ two income family. Lives in a nice neighborhood etc Feels like he is selling out his kids future for 5 weeks college tuition

But in most cases good to take the cash or try for more, give the kid a regfee new nick name

Good Luck

•••
Sure, I've done that a lot, bought many domains and flipped them right way for sometimes 10k profit, but most people here are right, take the offer and move on, its a great margin. I've declined similar offers only to regret it later unless I really really like the name and don't mind holding it.

•••
So I bought a name that was catchy because it was a nickname I used for my son for $600 on Friday. Two days later, someone offers 1k for it..I say no..they raise it eventually to $5,000. It was hard, but I still said no.

Look at it from the potential buyers side.

It may be that they have deep pockets and have someone they love who might 'deserve' that domain in their eyes. In that case, they might be willing to go a lot higher.

Nobody can give you a straight answer without knowing the name, but I can tell you that if I were in your shoes I would say no and turn the offer down.

In fact years ago I have said no to a $5k offer for a domain that I bought the same day; I turned the offer down and the domains still sits as inventory. I blame myself for not being a better salesman at that time.

Do I regret it? Not for a second.

You take the risks you can afford to. So if you could use the $5k, take the offer, if you value the name more than selling it then keep it. OR, for the big boy finale, you can put an actual price on the domain that would satisfy you and send that price to the interested party.

Whatever you choose to do, make the choice yourself and be okay with whatever happens.

Good luck.

•••
It may be that they have deep pockets and have someone they love who might 'deserve' that domain in their eyes. In that case, they might be willing to go a lot higher.

True, or maybe they will go no higher and never contact you again.

You have real money on the table now and it is a very good return.

I don't know what the name is, but still you have 5k now, and that is really something.

•••
True, or maybe they will go no higher and never contact you again.

No risk no reward.

Plus like I said back then I wasn't great at sales.

Now I can walk prospective buyers right down the road I want them to follow.

•••
It's a great flip, that's for sure! The buyer came back to me and asked what I wanted to sell it for this morning but I haven't responded. I previously told him I didn't want to sell it. I personally would not have paid over $2000 for it during auction, but now that I have it. It's harder to let go due to it being the EXACT nickname I use for my little one. He's preteen.

Like some had mentioned, I may never get this offer again. That's probably true but when it comes to a domain that you have a personal attachment to. It's not a big deal if you don't get the offer again in the future.

I just found out that the buyers are using a different extension at the moment and the site is quite popular but it's not the .COM. Looking at my stats, the .Com gets about 80 hits a day from unique typeins. I took it off of parking to make sure they don't think I'm regging to steal their brand..etc.

•••

;)
Take the deal.
Invest $2.5k into something else bank $600 from the original purchase and spend the remaining $1.9k on creating great experiences with your son and family (y)

•••
I am not going to ask for what is the domain name but what is your son nick name?

I don't think he cares too much about the domain name. Just sell it and buy him an Iphone 7.

•••
Bet your son will tell you to sell it lol

•••
I don't quite the "attachment" thing. At the end of the day, it's just a domain, and there is no real guarantee your son will ever use it. I do under the sentimental side to it, yet it's not worth taking a $4000+ worth risk on. If you have a high offer, it'd be prudent not taking.

Solution: tell him youre not interested in selling, but $20k could change your mind. If he meets you at the middle higher, more power to you. But remember: YOU DO NOT NEED HIS DOMAIN, AND HE DOES. Of the 2 parties, YOU hold the cards. Sure, not selling would be okay, too. But to deny a guaranteed thng is bad. If you opt to sell, simply make have a damn good price tag.

The OP, I've had this happen to me once, but I sold it for a mere $100. Eh... it was from a drop and $1 GoDaddy handreg. So it wasn't bad.

•••
You purchased it on an impulse that was based on your emotions...strong emotions towards your son, not for the purpose of reselling. The fact that offers have come through is just a nice bonus, if for nothing else than to say that its a special name.

You'll never regret not selling it as long as you think about your son and what value that domain name will have for him as he gets older. The possibilities of what he could do with it are only limited by his imagination, and since its his nickname, his emotional attachment will probably translate into something pretty decent, which ultimately will make him happy.

He's that generation....imagine what it'll be like for him when he of age to understands what dad is giving him.

no brainer...keep the domain.

•••
You can lease it, and when your son grows, you still own it.

•••
So I decided to keep the domain. It would be difficult for me to buy his first name..And I'm certain I wouldn't have a chance to buy back the nickname. So I told them it's not forsale any longer. Also I have his brother's name so if I have nothing for him, he'll be a bit upset. :)

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts.

•••
It's a great flip, that's for sure! The buyer came back to me and asked what I wanted to sell it for this morning but I haven't responded. I previously told him I didn't want to sell it. I personally would not have paid over $2000 for it during auction, but now that I have it. It's harder to let go due to it being the EXACT nickname I use for my little one. He's preteen.

Like some had mentioned, I may never get this offer again. That's probably true but when it comes to a domain that you have a personal attachment to. It's not a big deal if you don't get the offer again in the future.

I just found out that the buyers are using a different extension at the moment and the site is quite popular but it's not the .COM. Looking at my stats, the .Com gets about 80 hits a day from unique typeins. I took it off of parking to make sure they don't think I'm regging to steal their brand..etc.

i own surname in .com which i dont want to sell but have not recieved an offer on it yet tho

•••
Great story here, thanks for sharing

•••
@LarryDomain As a somebody said lease the name. You will have recurring income. choice is yours of course.
And of course I don't know why they want the domain. If for development it is worth leasing.

Last edited:
•••
leasing the name could provide pocket money

•••
I think you did right, I turned down a hand reg in 2009,
i was offered 10k in first week and 25k in a month. I developed it and it made me over nearly 10 times the 25k offer. I still have the domain and I would want probably a minimum of 50k offer to to even consider selling it.

•••
good you thought of your son . But sometimes you need to put the emotions behind and you need to see that $5k is a very big amount. You can buy a lot of other domains for that kind or you can lease that domain name and take it afterwards. But give it a thought

•••

;)

Ask you son, if he prefer nick name or $5k. :xf.cool:

•••
•••
Ask you son, if he prefer nick name or $5k. :xf.cool:

Yes I was wondering if your son knows about this situation?

If my dad told me this... well I'd say, ok, I want a name change and 5k please.

•••
theres always 5k in a college fund which will be more in the future and then your son will have a future in his dream. It cost $25 to change your name.

•••
theres always 5k in a college fund which will be more in the future and then your son will have a future in his dream. It cost $25 to change your name.

Plus $10 for the new domain name - because you'd pick a new name where the .com was not taken, no?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back