NameSilo

offers Ever say no to this? Bought on Friday $600, Offered $5000 on Saturday.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LarryDomain

Top Member
Impact
So I bought a name that was catchy because it was a nickname I used for my son for $600 on Friday. Two days later, someone offers 1k for it..I say no..they raise it eventually to $5,000. It was hard, but I still said no.

Sometime sons are more important!

;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
hmmmm you can get alot for your son for 5k haha

•••
Consider renaming your child :xf.laugh:
f3aa3ff2413b9f87ebd98ce6c0f32e8b.jpg

•••
I've turned down high offers before that I have regretted later on, but this particular scenario has never happened to me.

Well done for holding onto it, family comes first :xf.smile:

•••
Never know they might comeback with an even higher offer.

•••
Lease it, let your son decide what to do when he's old enough.

•••
My experience.....

If you don't take that offer you will regret it severely in the future.

They will move on from your name and find another.

When you contact them in a year, they will say no thanks.

Been there....done that.

•••
I'm quite sure they will. After some research, they need it. I just don't know what my breaking point will be.

Never know they might comeback with an even higher offer.

•••
Will your son keep his nickname as he grows up? How will he use the name? The 5 grand could help him to gain an appreciation of business and commerce, and that could be worth a lot more than $5,000.

•••
10 points for holding out dude... much respect.

Problem is now, $5k was difficult for you to hold out on... if they jumped from $1k to $5k ...they are probably shocked that you turned it down... watch them come back and make a $15k - $20k offer now... lol.

Keep us in the loop, I would love to know if I called it right. :)

**You could sell it and buy the name in nGTLD. Like a vanity domain... like: Name.Rocks or something like that.

Last edited:
•••
It's a great flip, that's for sure! The buyer came back to me and asked what I wanted to sell it for this morning but I haven't responded. I previously told him I didn't want to sell it. I personally would not have paid over $2000 for it during auction, but now that I have it. It's harder to let go due to it being the EXACT nickname I use for my little one. He's preteen.

Like some had mentioned, I may never get this offer again. That's probably true but when it comes to a domain that you have a personal attachment to. It's not a big deal if you don't get the offer again in the future.

I just found out that the buyers are using a different extension at the moment and the site is quite popular but it's not the .COM. Looking at my stats, the .Com gets about 80 hits a day from unique typeins. I took it off of parking to make sure they don't think I'm regging to steal their brand..etc.

•••
•••
So I bought a name that was catchy because it was a nickname I used for my son for $600 on Friday. Two days later, someone offers 1k for it..I say no..they raise it eventually to $5,000. It was hard, but I still said no.

Look at it from the potential buyers side.

It may be that they have deep pockets and have someone they love who might 'deserve' that domain in their eyes. In that case, they might be willing to go a lot higher.

Nobody can give you a straight answer without knowing the name, but I can tell you that if I were in your shoes I would say no and turn the offer down.

In fact years ago I have said no to a $5k offer for a domain that I bought the same day; I turned the offer down and the domains still sits as inventory. I blame myself for not being a better salesman at that time.

Do I regret it? Not for a second.

You take the risks you can afford to. So if you could use the $5k, take the offer, if you value the name more than selling it then keep it. OR, for the big boy finale, you can put an actual price on the domain that would satisfy you and send that price to the interested party.

Whatever you choose to do, make the choice yourself and be okay with whatever happens.

Good luck.

•••

Sometime sons are more important!

;)
Take the deal.
Invest $2.5k into something else bank $600 from the original purchase and spend the remaining $1.9k on creating great experiences with your son and family (y)

•••
Now I'm curious what this domain is....?

•••
The key is how you got into the domain. If hand reg it probably needs to be an 'In the news" senario. If it was dropped and caught someone else wanted it on the drop too but was clueless on dropping, now wants the name badly.

Then there is two others. !) Appraisal scam aet up, and 2) Someone just Dicking with you.

I see now you likely straight up bought it from someone else. Could just be a random timing thing or the seller having some fun with (sad but once in a while things like that happen)

Good Luck

Last edited:
•••
haha..love that rename bit.. The name was from a drop..The person / company that wants it was not one of the bidders. I honestly feel bad for them but my son may want to do something with it when he's older. he has a few years to go though.

•••
hmmmm you can get alot for your son for 5k haha

Wisest words... I would rather take the $5000 and get my son something spectacular, plus the fact that the son could grow up not to like the domain name or see no value in it and then he let it drop.

•••
Never had it happen , but in all honesty if i could make $4,600 in one day i would have solt that faster then a ferrari ;)

•••
•••
Remember people OP probably has a great job/ two income family. Lives in a nice neighborhood etc Feels like he is selling out his kids future for 5 weeks college tuition

But in most cases good to take the cash or try for more, give the kid a regfee new nick name

Good Luck

•••
Sure, I've done that a lot, bought many domains and flipped them right way for sometimes 10k profit, but most people here are right, take the offer and move on, its a great margin. I've declined similar offers only to regret it later unless I really really like the name and don't mind holding it.

•••
I am not going to ask for what is the domain name but what is your son nick name?

I don't think he cares too much about the domain name. Just sell it and buy him an Iphone 7.

•••
I don't quite the "attachment" thing. At the end of the day, it's just a domain, and there is no real guarantee your son will ever use it. I do under the sentimental side to it, yet it's not worth taking a $4000+ worth risk on. If you have a high offer, it'd be prudent not taking.

Solution: tell him youre not interested in selling, but $20k could change your mind. If he meets you at the middle higher, more power to you. But remember: YOU DO NOT NEED HIS DOMAIN, AND HE DOES. Of the 2 parties, YOU hold the cards. Sure, not selling would be okay, too. But to deny a guaranteed thng is bad. If you opt to sell, simply make have a damn good price tag.

The OP, I've had this happen to me once, but I sold it for a mere $100. Eh... it was from a drop and $1 GoDaddy handreg. So it wasn't bad.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back