IT.COM

question Ever come across a dropped domain & wonder why?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
As one who frequently handregs. I come across domains that I find available that could easily be perfect for big brands like Dial soap (Cleanbody.com fictitious just for example purposes.) or stoppain.com (taken but for example purposes assume as dropped)

domains like this seem to be out there. once owned for years now dropped and no one picked up at expired auctions.

Has anyone ever come across such domains and wonder why?

and also with the same thought also think.

"This domain is better than most of my best domains. How is it this domain is dropped and never picked up again and is "out there"? If such a domain "failed" what chance could my domains have?"

if you have come across such domains and decided not to take it or did take it. please explain why or why not?

most pro domains would simply "walk away" from dropped domains as a "drop" is literally the touch of death.

Yet I hear Mike Mann buys such domains that are "out in the open" after drop and turn around and sell them for thousands for 10,000% profit.

Can someone explain this "phenomena"?

Figured it would be a good conversation piece.

Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
a perfect example is my domain. 885888.net which I noticed was expiring soon. so I said what the heck? I backordered it with Godaddy which it was registered at luckily. Then when it expired I got it for a cool $25.

after which checked namebio and found out it sold a year before or so for $4000+!!!

can anyone explain how THIS happened?

$25?

is this an example of domains "falling thru the cracks"?

Looks like it was used for a Chinese website, doesn't mean another buyer will pay the same. Tho, there are plenty of 8s :)

•••
Thought about the original post of this Thread and wanted to just throw this out there.

maybe some domains that drop and are "out there" are out there because the original did let them expire on purpose

AFTER.....

they do the grimey technique of letting their domain expire only to allow it to go to expired auction on Godaddy or whatever and if they see it getting high bids they pay the fee to get the domain back thereby cancelling thee auction with all the bids. in which case the domainer puts it back for auction paying for a featured and hopes that the originally bidders find it again to bid on it.

now that the domainer knows there's interest he or she proceeds with this move.

if not let's it go if it doesn't go above $200-$300 because of the cost of fees.

very Grimey right?

could explain the domains that are "out there"

Last edited:
•••
•••
Yes, it's absolutely wrong to assume that a domain isn't worth owning purely because it was dropped by its (former) owner. We can recount numerous instances where we have let a domain expire, only to find it grabbed by a new registrant and then subsequently resold for a pretty penny. That's what makes the domain industry exciting, there is plenty out there if you know where to look and can be bothered to look through lists...

So goes the old English expression: "Where there's Muck, there's Brass"

reminds me of when I let TGOR.com expire and now it has a pricetag of $8000+

•••
gems in crap are just that, you should wash it. that's all. lol

•••
here's a perfect example I just found while BSing on domaintools whois. found MobileAppSites.com was dropped twice. and now owned by Time Warner.

Sometimes I wonder.

Say you handreg a great domain. That's perfect for some big company. Does anyone think that maybe when you approach a target company that it is their standard MO to "not be interested" if for no other reason but to play the "waiting game" and just sit and wait till the domainer offering them a domain that they generally are interested in but not showing interested publicly gives up and drops the domain and if it isn't bought at auction expireds or dropcatch. get it for the price of a handreg?

could this be happening behind the scenes you think?

•••
the thing is, when you're wading through crap lists all day, mediocre (at best) names start to look like gems! That's why I've mostly quit going through expired lists. I just keep my own ever growing list. I try to add 20 names a day, much faster and easier than drop lists!

•••
here's a perfect example I just found while BSing on domaintools whois. found MobileAppSites.com was dropped twice. and now owned by Time Warner.

Sometimes I wonder.

Say you handreg a great domain. That's perfect for some big company. Does anyone think that maybe when you approach a target company that it is their standard MO to "not be interested" if for no other reason but to play the "waiting game" and just sit and wait till the domainer offering them a domain that they generally are interested in but not showing interested publicly gives up and drops the domain and if it isn't bought at auction expireds or dropcatch. get it for the price of a handreg?

could this be happening behind the scenes you think?
Reminds me of this thread https://www.namepros.com/threads/renewing-domains-in-advance-to-increase-sales.955656/

•••
•••
I just keep my own ever growing list. I try to add 20 names a day, much faster and easier than drop lists!

Do you mean that you keep a list of 'desirable domains' (that are currently taken, but might expire/be for sale one day) ? If yes, how big is it ?

•••
what does PBN mean

what would a good tool do instead?

PBN= private blog network.

I've noticed a few areas where expired domains analysis tools are not very efficient (at least the one I am aware of)

Expired invented domains. There are many of them. Some look as good as those listed in BB.

Keywords with prefixes and suffixes. Unless you have a list of keywords you monitor 'one at a time', they are hard to find.

Domains with multiple words: the keyword monitors I know look for 2 keywords only and will miss something like 'INeedHelp.com'

Aged domains. Many will disregard this indicator, but I think that a domain which has been registered for 10 years is worth a look.

•••
@aramyusMost get caught before they expire but not all. – Can you elaborate more on this?

Before being expired (and available to register), domains are subject to being dropcatched. There may be other mechanisms. I am not too familiar. May be someone has the precise details on them.

•••
PBN= private blog network.

I've noticed a few areas where expired domains analysis tools are not very efficient (at least the one I am aware of)

Expired invented domains. There are many of them. Some look as good as those listed in BB.

Keywords with prefixes and suffixes. Unless you have a list of keywords you monitor 'one at a time', they are hard to find.

Domains with multiple words: the keyword monitors I know look for 2 keywords only and will miss something like 'INeedHelp.com'

Aged domains. Many will disregard this indicator, but I think that a domain which has been registered for 10 years is worth a look.

Since you brought up age. I want to ask as it's always made me wonder.

Does a drop really affect a domains value in terms of aging? I suspect thee answer is yes but I'd like to be wrong for the sake of dropped domains that I mistakenly reg without doing a background check.

What I mean is. Say a domain that originally was first reg back in 1980. But since then has been dropped 10 times. Is it really true that each drop "resets" the aged value of a domain?

I've seen some domainers reword the age of their domains by saying that their domain has been registered since 1989.

now a smart domain buyer would undoubtedly check domaintools first to see if it was dropped.

but from a value perspective. does a DROP really affect its value from a business point?

so what I'm saying is.

Dropped domain registered first back in 1980 Vs. Domain registered back in 1980 and never dropped.

also does a drop affect a domains SEO score even if in the past it's had websites and backlinks?

•••
a drop has no effect to other people then to domainers
I personally do not care
it depends on the use of the domain

Last edited:
•••
a drop has no effect to other people then to domainers
I presonally do not care
it depends on the use of the domain

but I'm sure smart people will ask "people in the know" and those people will tell them to not touch your drop domain with a ten foot pool.

so what would be a good counter in that scenario?

•••
but I'm sure smart people will ask "people in the know" and those people will tell them to not touch your drop domain with a ten foot pool.

if the domain doesn't sell itself
I wouldn't want to sell it

•••
if the domain doesn't sell itself
I wouldn't want to sell it

agreed. but even the most successful domainer has thought a domain could sell itself and ends up dropping after a year.

•••
Do you mean that you keep a list of 'desirable domains' (that are currently taken, but might expire/be for sale one day) ? If yes, how big is it ?

Yes, exactly. My list right now is about 1200 names or so, and I will keep adding to it. Instead of running the same old searches for the same old keywords every 4 days, its easier to just come up with all of the best possible names with that particular keyword once, log it, and then wait for them to expire.

•••

Ask yourself for a second, if a super premium domain name like hotels.com happen to drop for any number of reasons and was hand registered again, do you think these same "smart people" you speak of would bother asking those "people in the know", if they should buy because of its drop history?

•••
Since you brought up age. I want to ask as it's always made me wonder

I use age as an indicator, and not more than that. It's a signal that says 'let's have a closer look'. Age brings some value for seo domains and probably no value for 'expensive domains'. It may impress buyers for 'unexpensive domains' and help them decide to proceed.

As far as I know, the age gets reset if a domain has expired.

I don't check drops. Often drops are a signal that the domain has been abused. It's especially true for seo domains.

•••
Before being expired (and available to register), domains are subject to being dropcatched. There may be other mechanisms. I am not too familiar. May be someone has the precise details on them.

A domain name cannot be caught by any service before "being expired". That is why I asked for elaboration.

A domain name can only be snapped up after expiration and after the maximum grace period for renewal by owner, has been exercised.

•••
A domain name cannot be caught by any service before "being expired". That is why I asked for elaboration.

A domain name can only be snapped up after expiration and after the maximum grace period for renewal by owner, has been exercised.

Thanks for the information, but let's clarify

For sure, a registrar cannot waive the rights of the previous owner during the grace period.

During the grace period, the only option would be to contact the previous owner and make a private deal, pay the penalty to the registrar and get the domain.

After the grace period is over, the domain is no longer the property of the previous owner, and there is a mechanism where the registrar can waive the domain from being available for everyone. I am not too sure of the legal aspects, may be you can clarify.

May be it's simply a vocabulary problem with confusion between expired and deleted.

Last edited:
•••

In complement to my earlier post, I found this article that describes the various stages where a non-renewed domain can be bought before it's 'fully deleted' and available for anyone to register.

pixelmade.com/blog/domain-names/different-types-expired-domain-names

The vocabulary is tricky, so there is a lot of room for confusion

Apparently, the registrar becomes the 'legal owner' of a domain at the end of the grace period and until the domain is fully deleted. I am not too familiar, but I imagine these are icann laws. I also wonder who gets the money when a non-renewed domain gets auctionned/transfered/caught before it's fully deleted. I also imagine it's the registrar or his partners, but I am not sure.

•••
I picked up this one a while back. It was dropped.

CoinBitcoin.com
and got
CoinBitcoin.net
and
CoinBitcoin.org

to create a "case pack".

It was originally posted for sale on Godaddy for $300,000. Then dropped.

someone thought there was value in this domain. until the bottom fell out with bitcoins a little while back.

I think with the price of bitcoin at around $600 again. I think it will be a good sign again.

$300,000? lol

it does have the "drop" as a blemish to it.

I like that it covers all the spectrum of the Cryptocurrency niche.

Covers ALL "Coins" plus mentions "Bitcoin" in the domain.

great for SEO I'm thinking?

I really don't know why people don't tell you the truth. I will! Most of the names you pick are worthless. I have seen how you make registrars richer everyday. Please donate that money to a charity or spend more time reading and learning. using words like "I think" to describe your buying decision isn't concrete enough.

I do hope you do not take this personal but it is the truth. You are wasting money every week. By this time next year, you understand better.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back