Domain Empire

question Ever come across a dropped domain & wonder why?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
As one who frequently handregs. I come across domains that I find available that could easily be perfect for big brands like Dial soap (Cleanbody.com fictitious just for example purposes.) or stoppain.com (taken but for example purposes assume as dropped)

domains like this seem to be out there. once owned for years now dropped and no one picked up at expired auctions.

Has anyone ever come across such domains and wonder why?

and also with the same thought also think.

"This domain is better than most of my best domains. How is it this domain is dropped and never picked up again and is "out there"? If such a domain "failed" what chance could my domains have?"

if you have come across such domains and decided not to take it or did take it. please explain why or why not?

most pro domains would simply "walk away" from dropped domains as a "drop" is literally the touch of death.

Yet I hear Mike Mann buys such domains that are "out in the open" after drop and turn around and sell them for thousands for 10,000% profit.

Can someone explain this "phenomena"?

Figured it would be a good conversation piece.

Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ask yourself for a second, if a super premium domain name like hotels.com happen to drop for any number of reasons and was hand registered again, do you think these same "smart people" you speak of would bother asking those "people in the know", if they should buy because of its drop history?

of course not but I thought it was understood here that we're talking about certains domains that have "questionable" value not uber awesome domains like hotels.com which have obvious value.

can someone please just mention a couple of "questionable" value dropped domains they have come across that made them wonder why it's "out there" for the sake of this conversation?

Thanks.

•••
•••
I really don't know why people don't tell you the truth. I will! Most of the names you pick are worthless. I have seen how you make registrars richer everyday. Please donate that money to a charity or spend more time reading and learning. using words like "I think" to describe your buying decision isn't concrete enough.

I do hope you do not take this personal but it is the truth. You are wasting money every week. By this time next year, you understand better.

hey no worries I appreciate the Brutality. lol I'm thick skinned and it's fine. But domain history has shown that some novice and idiot domainers have score "lotto" ticket domains in the past. I'm not hoping for that in no way. but it does happen.

The difference between Fool and Genius is success. A fool can screw up many times. Thats why he's a fool. But once he does something truly remarkable he's automatically called a Genius.

I only need to succeed once for me to prove you wrong. I like those odds. as for my bank account. The domains I have most (when I get around to setting them up) are parked bodis and a few others.

each of my domains get a healthy PR blast every month so that I get backlinks from.

to be honest some of my domains don't make enough ppc to pay the YEAR renewals. but the rest (mostly adult related domains) make bank like gangbusters to cover renewals.

I did not want to have to disclose my business but you seem to be very interested in it since you seem to be following my business carefully to know which domains I have.

Although I appreciate a fan or two. Wouldn't it be best to focus on your own biz and handle IT instead of worrying about other peoples biz? Now I'm concerned about you. are you ok?

thanks for the concern but I'll be ok. have a great day and best of luck.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
yes .club it is really cool for that business type.

•••
•••
Remember, we have some Spanish blood too.

•••
Yes and yes.

oh! 50-50? that's cool.

eehhh. I'll stick to .com except maybe for .cn and .bet and ,.pet which I got suckered into.

•••
oh yea that's true that's why I have a hairy chest and back. need a weedwacker. lol damn Conquistadors!

•••
actually just thee other day found out my Grandma's middle name Fanlo wasn't actually a Chinese last name but was the name of an actual town in Spain! lol

•••
anyways back to dropped domains. can anyone please mention any dropped domains they came across that made them do a double take?

either ones you skipped over or ones you actually regged again despite the drop?

•••
i collected all kinds of extension; however, only the one that will make sense. I like the .com for none specific business title. But when you have specific business, I believe the appropriate extension should adhere. Example: Pay.money VS Pay.com. You will understand the true simplicity?

•••
I rarely pay attention with those stuff. I like to create my own name, using my creativity and beliefs about suchlike.

•••
In complement to my earlier post, I found this article that describes the various stages where a non-renewed domain can be bought before it's 'fully deleted' and available for anyone to register.

pixelmade.com/blog/domain-names/different-types-expired-domain-names

The vocabulary is tricky, so there is a lot of room for confusion

Apparently, the registrar becomes the 'legal owner' of a domain at the end of the grace period and until the domain is fully deleted. I am not too familiar, but I imagine these are icann laws. I also wonder who gets the money when a non-renewed domain gets auctionned/transfered/caught before it's fully deleted. I also imagine it's the registrar or his partners, but I am not sure.

The registrars ultimately are the WINNERS.

•••
The registrars ultimately are the WINNERS.
That's why pick a great name and don't sell it too cheap. And this goes to all extension. Of course, we all know that premuim names are 100 percent reserve. They got smarter and more...which domainers has zero control of this activity etc..

•••
I agree with ang, it depend on timing! most of domainer buy and hold for about 1 years, especially for ppl that have domain in large quantity!(big mistake) if their name not selling , It would be better to sell bulk or cheap! otherwise the cost will burden! but again if the name are so good, .eg emd and etc, I think he/she should choose which one! to let go and which one to hold! but lets be real, almost impossible to get EMD dot com with big searcher! that's why most domainer including me, 80% my domain are crap! sometime I pick veryveryuglynamewithsufixanddashwithnumber.com! I still pick them and hold them for many2 years! as long it making money and making me on top! I don't mind to renew for 2 or more years! but if not making money, sometime I just let them or sell very cheap!

some ppl can hold big quantity, but most of us dont! just like forex games! we prefer hit and run! rather than buy and hold for many many years! :)

•••
hey no worries I appreciate the Brutality. lol I'm thick skinned and it's fine. But domain history has shown that some novice and idiot domainers have score "lotto" ticket domains in the past. I'm not hoping for that in no way. but it does happen.

The difference between Fool and Genius is success. A fool can screw up many times. Thats why he's a fool. But once he does something truly remarkable he's automatically called a Genius.

I only need to succeed once for me to prove you wrong. I like those odds. as for my bank account. The domains I have most (when I get around to setting them up) are parked bodis and a few others.

each of my domains get a healthy PR blast every month so that I get backlinks from.

to be honest some of my domains don't make enough ppc to pay the YEAR renewals. but the rest (mostly adult related domains) make bank like gangbusters to cover renewals.

I did not want to have to disclose my business but you seem to be very interested in it since you seem to be following my business carefully to know which domains I have.

Although I appreciate a fan or two. Wouldn't it be best to focus on your own biz and handle IT instead of worrying about other peoples biz? Now I'm concerned about you. are you ok?

thanks for the concern but I'll be ok. have a great day and best of luck.
No hard feelings man. Point of correction, I never followed your business and had no idea you had one going. My assertions are based on the domain names you often post here on namepros.

Have a nice life, man!

Last edited:
•••
A bit of misinformation here. To those who think this is possible, it is, with patience. Go back and read his Tweets to see that he's held these drops for a significant amount of time (years).
he also prices the domains and sticks to his guns, you need to be able to turn down hundreds of offers before the right buyer comes along. Patience + determination

•••
One thing I have learned over time is no one can say what names will sell and which ones will not.

There are numerous discussions about how to select domain names, but every time I think I have this game figured out I see the sale of a name I think is a s*it name that I would never register.

Watch the sales and you will see names you think are awful selling for thousands of $.

How do you explain this?

You can't.

In many ways domain investing is a crap shoot and a lot like playing the lottery.

Have you ever renewed a domain for years and never had an offer and them let it drop and later you see someone picked it up and made a nice sale?

I have.

For all the speculation and talk at NP about how to select names there really is no right way to do it.

Its exciting. You could reg a name that was passed over by everyone else and hit the jackpot with it.

This is a crazy and addicting game, but you got to love it.

Last edited:
•••
Dropped names happen accidentally quite a bit tick the box and well wrong option deleted instead of renewed.

I actually have a secret I buy names that expire when on holidays. Summer June many don't check emails but I do. Wish yourself a Merry Christmas well so do I when you forgot that name was expiring.

Last edited:
•••
buy names that expire when on holidays

It's a very good practice. I have noted the same. People are less attentive. :)

That said, I doubt professional domainers forget to renew their domains or delete them by mistake because they don't realize their fingers have slipped. I'd be more encline to think it may happen to busineses who struggle with complex interfaces or simply have the habit to pay their bill at the very last moment.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back