IT.COM

question Ever come across a dropped domain & wonder why?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
As one who frequently handregs. I come across domains that I find available that could easily be perfect for big brands like Dial soap (Cleanbody.com fictitious just for example purposes.) or stoppain.com (taken but for example purposes assume as dropped)

domains like this seem to be out there. once owned for years now dropped and no one picked up at expired auctions.

Has anyone ever come across such domains and wonder why?

and also with the same thought also think.

"This domain is better than most of my best domains. How is it this domain is dropped and never picked up again and is "out there"? If such a domain "failed" what chance could my domains have?"

if you have come across such domains and decided not to take it or did take it. please explain why or why not?

most pro domains would simply "walk away" from dropped domains as a "drop" is literally the touch of death.

Yet I hear Mike Mann buys such domains that are "out in the open" after drop and turn around and sell them for thousands for 10,000% profit.

Can someone explain this "phenomena"?

Figured it would be a good conversation piece.

Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yet I hear Mike Mann buys such domains that are "out in the open" after drop and turn around and sell them for thousands for 10,000% profit.
A bit of misinformation here. To those who think this is possible, it is, with patience. Go back and read his Tweets to see that he's held these drops for a significant amount of time (years).

•••
A bit of misinformation here. To those who think this is possible, it is, with patience. Go back and read his Tweets to see that he's held these drops for a significant amount of time (years).

thanks for that tidbit.

So how does one sell a domain that was once dropped several times? any tips anyone? I'm looking at a great dropped domain right now.

Is it a dumb assumption to assume that whoever the first 1 or 2 or 4 registrants who registered a dropped domain after it was dropped not once by many times just

"wasn't good enough" of a salesman to sell the domain assuming it was their purpose to resell in the first place and not try to develop it?

is a Drop in the history of a domain really truly the final nail or nails in the coffin?

can anyone please share their experience in this area?

Anyone sold a domain that was dropped multiple times in the past?

•••
I picked up LoanBro a few days ago and I think it's a good domain for Loan Brokerage Company. As for the reason why it was dropped, maybe, I'm the only one thinking it's a good name. :)

What do you think?

•••
I think it really depends on market conditions and how long you are willing to wait.

For instance, I have picked up some drops with the intent of selling but know they are for the future when the pool of available names dwindles and the focus shifts again.

A reseller will likely be more concerned with a domain's history of drops than an end user also.

Think about a new business that starts up today and goes searching for a domain that ends up being one you own. Do you think they care that domain was dropped by 3 people over the last 10 years?

•••
@Avatar629 - You should check it's history at places like archive.org, et al, before you buy. But if you've found a great domain, which has commercial appeal/value, you should register it immediately with a coupon, and take it from there.

•••
You should also consider the fact that many domains are dropped unintentionally. People forget to renew, or just had it for so long that the credit card on file has expired and/or they miss the emails warning them of the pending deletion. Or quite simply, a domainer that has so many domains at so many different registrars that some are just completely forgotten about.

So, expired domains are not necessarily unwanted or of any lesser value. The age and seo etc that is lost is, more often than not, of no concern to someone who just simply wants the name....

Last edited:
•••
You should also consider the fact that many domains are dropped unintentionally. People forget to renew, or just had it for so long that the credit card on file has expired and/or they miss the emails warning them of the pending deletion. Or quite simply, a domainer that has so many domains at so many different registrars that some are just completely forgotten about.

So, expired domains are not necessarily unwanted or of any lesser value. The age and seo etc that is lost is, more often than not, of no concern to someone who just simply wants the name....

I would guess that 98%+ of any intentional drops are picked up in pre-release auctions or are caught by DropCatch (and others) when they drop. It would be only a very small, tiny percentage, of commercially viable domains that actually drop. IMHO.

•••
I would guess that 98%+ of any intentional drops are picked up in pre-release auctions or are caught by DropCatch (and others) when they drop. It would be only a very small, tiny percentage, of commercially viable domains that actually drop. IMHO.

This is true, most do get taken before you even have a chance, but not all.

•••
Sorry. I mean unintentional drops. But you got what I meant :)

•••
Yes, I figured you just skipped the "un" lol.

Alas, the true challenge is finding the gems that won't be caught by the other DC's, but I think sometimes it has more to do with luck than anything else.

•••
Yep. But luck is just a small part, (or is that 100% part?) for any domains which don't get picked up, and have commercial value. Talking about .com's at least.

•••
True, and then the times when you have a name picked out that you think is great and it doesn't get picked up, it makes you second guess yourself and wonder "is it really that good?"

•••
•••
I picked up LoanBro a few days ago and I think it's a good domain for Loan Brokerage Company. As for the reason why it was dropped, maybe, I'm the only one thinking it's a good name. :)

What do you think?

nice one. When you need a loan. who do you ask? a Stranger? or your Bro?

•••
I picked up this one a while back. It was dropped.

CoinBitcoin.com
and got
CoinBitcoin.net
and
CoinBitcoin.org

to create a "case pack".

It was originally posted for sale on Godaddy for $300,000. Then dropped.

someone thought there was value in this domain. until the bottom fell out with bitcoins a little while back.

I think with the price of bitcoin at around $600 again. I think it will be a good sign again.

$300,000? lol

it does have the "drop" as a blemish to it.

I like that it covers all the spectrum of the Cryptocurrency niche.

Covers ALL "Coins" plus mentions "Bitcoin" in the domain.

great for SEO I'm thinking?

Last edited:
•••
@Avatar629 - So what do you think this is worth? For me it doesn't have any value :(

•••
@Avatar629 - So what do you think this is worth? For me it doesn't have any value :(

better to develop it as a Cryptocurrency website. maybe list faucet affiliate programs and something like Coingecko.com

•••

right now if I listed it on Sedo with a featured listing on Namebio.com? I think it has a good chance for a good price. maybe not $300k. maybe $10K?

•••
@Avtar629 - Then I don't understand why you haven't done so, already. What's holding you back?

•••
picked up turfpond.com yesterday with 1.5 million backlinks. don't know why? lol

•••
•••
ahhh, you got me. lol.

wiggling.fish .online (credit) lol

Last edited:
•••
the fact that a name has dropped before is not a blemish imo.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back