Dynadot

question Ever come across a dropped domain & wonder why?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
As one who frequently handregs. I come across domains that I find available that could easily be perfect for big brands like Dial soap (Cleanbody.com fictitious just for example purposes.) or stoppain.com (taken but for example purposes assume as dropped)

domains like this seem to be out there. once owned for years now dropped and no one picked up at expired auctions.

Has anyone ever come across such domains and wonder why?

and also with the same thought also think.

"This domain is better than most of my best domains. How is it this domain is dropped and never picked up again and is "out there"? If such a domain "failed" what chance could my domains have?"

if you have come across such domains and decided not to take it or did take it. please explain why or why not?

most pro domains would simply "walk away" from dropped domains as a "drop" is literally the touch of death.

Yet I hear Mike Mann buys such domains that are "out in the open" after drop and turn around and sell them for thousands for 10,000% profit.

Can someone explain this "phenomena"?

Figured it would be a good conversation piece.

Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the fact that a name has dropped before is not a blemish imo.

Although plenty of times ( before I ever knew about domain tools.com) my domain choices were ridiculed by self appointed "Pros" on NP.

Seems to be the "litmus test" for quality domains whether or not it's ever been dropped.

•••
Procrastination.
That plus I really want to do a full on promotion and piggyback my other Bitcoin and coin domains to maximize my costs for featured listing on Namebio. Simply featuring one domain is very expensive. Mention other domains and spread the cost among a bunch of domains.

•••
Yeah you can find these gems. Luck has a little to do with it for some but anyone with the right resource info, skill, and gut instinct pulls these domains out of lists all the time. All my portfolios are hand reg only off lists.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Back to the initial question, I think there are 2 main reasons why you still find some decent gems in expired domains:

- the lack of tools to find them.
Most expired domain tools are PBN oriented and they concentrate on backlinks, monthly searches, DA or similar seo indicators. They totally miss how attractive a domain would be for a buyer

- the mindset of domainers
Most domainers look for valuable domains that can be sold $xxxx or much more. Statistically there are very few such domains left expired (they will be drop catched or auctionned)

•••
Whether a domain name is dropped, expired or available to hand-register; as far as it is pronounceable, brandable and I can see a potential end-user paying good $$$ for it, would definitely go for it.

A very good example is RiteCapital.com, which was once used by an international company in the human capital / financial space (checked archive.org).

The aforementioned dropped domain was recently hand-registered again, but this was after spending a couple of days researching the potential of a sale to an end-user.

Never really bothered with "why the domain was dropped" (as this can happen for a number of reasons). Rather, main focus after discovering the gem was "how much can this name sell for?", and taking it from there.

All that being said, you can find gems :$: anywhere... :-D

•••
I think in many cases when you find a good dropped domain it could be an Internet marketer, who bought the domain with the intention to develop it but never got down to actually doing it. I have done this way to many times myself. Many Internet marketers are not domainers, some focus purely on Internet marketing..

•••
I think in many cases when you find a good dropped domain it could be an Internet marketer, who bought the domain with the intention to develop it but never got down to actually doing it. I have done this way to many times myself. Many Internet marketers are not domainers, some focus purely on Internet marketing..

Indeed there are many situations where excellent domains are not renewed. The question is why do such domains end up in expired domains rather than drop catch or auctions ?

•••
Indeed there are many situations where excellent domains are not renewed. The question is why do such domains end up in expired domains rather than drop catch or auctions ?

I have no idea for sure......but perhaps it's the sheer volume of domains that are expiring, I suppose some will just slip through the cracks..

•••
Last edited:
•••
I have no idea for sure......but perhaps it's the sheer volume of domains that are expiring, I suppose some will just slip through the cracks..

From what I see, the domainers inspect expired domains in the following ways:
- short domains or remarkable patterns such as ABBBA
- full word domains
- PBN domains based on seo criteria
- keyword domains are more difficult to inspect. expireddomains.net is probably the best tool around, but they miss many domains, in particular prefix/suffixes
- invented domains are not inspected. No tool is available as far as I know.

•••
Tip: If you spot what you think is a good domain dropping and wonder why the registrant let this happen ?

Check the domain at Whoisology.com, often you get to see other registered domains by the same registrant and sometimes you can find that he/she has many other drops that you can be of similar quality and dropping also !

•••
Indeed there are many situations where excellent domains are not renewed.

Yes, it's absolutely wrong to assume that a domain isn't worth owning purely because it was dropped by its (former) owner. We can recount numerous instances where we have let a domain expire, only to find it grabbed by a new registrant and then subsequently resold for a pretty penny. That's what makes the domain industry exciting, there is plenty out there if you know where to look and can be bothered to look through lists...

So goes the old English expression: "Where there's Muck, there's Brass"

Last edited:
•••
I just regged tax free invest (3600 G monthly searches) and kid clothing store (22k searches). Both were dropped and in .com. I think they have potential to sell for a whole lot more in the future.
BUT... I must have looked through 5,000 names just to find these two.

•••
Well, I know - and also feel - what you mean .. but even when catching that type of domains it is usually a waiting game (if you do not want to let them go for only some bucks). imo.

•••
Yes for me,it was a pure chemical name..wondered why it was still available...
I know the market for Chemical name is very less..but for a pure chemical name it is worth to register...I will hold this one until I find a buyer...not gonna drop..

•••
Well, I know - and also feel - what you mean .. but even when catching that type of domains it is usually a waiting game (if you do not want to let them go for only some bucks). imo.
Mike Mann would probably sit on those until they sell for $4,000 or higher. I'll be happy with 10X ROI.

•••
Keep in mind there is a strong difference between 'not renewed' and 'expired'. Many excellent domains are not renewded for very legitimate reasons (death, bankruptcy, lack of interest, too small to worry ...). Most get caught before they expire but not all.

•••
•••
•••
I regged ImHoly.com today ;)

I made a tool for find stuff easier
its in my sig

Last edited:
•••
•••
It was originally posted for sale on Godaddy for $300,000. Then dropped.
Actually this is one reason why viable domains drop: they are priced for sale at ridiculous amounts. After a few years, the domain holder is fed up and drops the domain. Then somebody else will try again with the same domain. That might work or not, depending on the strategy and timing (the buyer may not materialize for a long time).
We would see more sales if domains were priced realistically.

•••
A bit of misinformation here. To those who think this is possible, it is, with patience. Go back and read his Tweets to see that he's held these drops for a significant amount of time (years).
Plus, like a lot of things, we read about the sales in the media, but not news/info about how many he drops each month.
(Although, from what I've read about his portfolio, perhaps not as many as some people would.)

•••

a perfect example is my domain. 885888.net which I noticed was expiring soon. so I said what the heck? I backordered it with Godaddy which it was registered at luckily. Then when it expired I got it for a cool $25.

after which checked namebio and found out it sold a year before or so for $4000+!!!

can anyone explain how THIS happened?

$25?

is this an example of domains "falling thru the cracks"?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back