IT.COM

Even a blind chicken can find a great domain!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Picture0003.png

On namePros most of us are familiar with a famous domainer that spent an entire night hand registering domains only to see them sell for millions of dollars. The domainer continues his streak and today is one of the most successful domainers on the planet.

Seems to me some businesses like Huge Domains are very much copying this process by registering millions of domains and hoping a percentage of them will resell at a profit. The difference here being that Huge Domains mostly registered dropped domains figuring eventually someone else will want them.

In German there is an expression.....

"Auch ein blindes Huhn findet mal ein Korn."

Loosely translated to english it means....

"Even a blind chicken sometimes finds a piece of corn"

The question here is can this be repeated in 2019?

So if someone decided to randomly sit 10 people down and hand register any combination of two word .com's could one conceivably have a successful business?

My opinion on this is that one probably could as long as the selling price of the domains stayed in the 2-4k range. Two word .com's are still very much in demand and chances of success are probably pretty good.

So what do my fellow domainers think?

Any successful blind chickens out there? :xf.laugh:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So if someone decided to randomly sit 10 people down and hand register any combination of two word
I think 99% of the domains they thought up, that made any sense, would be already registered, which would cause them to register nonsensical names that are worth nothing.

•••
I think 99% of the domains they thought up, that made any sense, would be already registered, which would cause them to register nonsensical names that are worth nothing.
Thats exactly what happened to me as I started up. Whatever I thought or madeup was already regd and I ended up with few garbage names which I deleted later out of embarrassment.!

•••
Last edited:
•••
Then there are the ones who know how to pick the names - the other side of the coin so to speak.
Yes, thats where "investing" replaces the term "buying" in this business. Anyone can buy a domain, it takes knowledge and skill to invest in domains. I learn more about that every day.

•••
•••
•••
Since op reads a Great Domain, what do you mean?

•••
Since op reads a Great Domain, what do you mean?

A great domain is anything that sells

Well.... at least by my definition anyways :xf.wink:

•••
A great domain is anything that sells

Well.... at least by my definition anyways :xf.wink:
But what does it mean if an idiot buys a terrible domain and sells it to another idiot ? :xf.confused:

•••
But what does it mean if an idiot buys a terrible domain and sells it to another idiot ? :xf.confused:

If the domain sells it can never be an idiotic domain.

A sale is a sale

•••
If the domain sells it can never be an idiotic domain.

A sale is a sale
So the money cancels out the stupidity. I learned something today. :-P

Perhaps it's more complicated...

1) idiot1 buys terrible domain hamsterwrench.icu
2) idiot2 buys hamsterwrench.icu from idiot1 for $500. Domain becomes temporarily great.
3) idiot2 tries to sell hamsterwrench.icu for $1000, nobody offers even $1, ever. Domain becomes terrible again.

I guess its really quite a fluid thing when it comes to idiots buying domains. :ROFL:

Last edited:
•••

2) idiot2 buys hamsterwrench.icu from idiot1 for $500. Domain becomes temporarily great.
3) idiot2 tries to sell hamsterwrench.icu for $1000, nobody offers even $1, ever. Domain becomes terrible again.

I guess its really quite a fluid thing when it comes to idiots buying domains. :ROFL:

Remember I am talking first hand reg.

If it sells it was a great hand reg.

PS. Also talking .com

•••
Remember I am talking first hand reg.

If it sells it was a great hand reg.

PS. Also talking .com
I hope you realize I am joking, right ? :-P

•••
•••
Here is another great domainer,

Screenshot_2019-03-30-13-12-25-666_com.android.chrome.png

•••

Hahahaha... this is a terrible scenario. Idiot Domainer selling idiot domains to another Idiot Domainer.

•••
Hahahaha... this is a terrible scenario. Idiot Domainer selling idiot domains to another Idiot Domainer.

True it is funny

Just one issue...

I would love to have the money from all the domain sales that were thought to be idiotic.

•••
True it is funny

Just one issue...

I would love to have the money from all the domain sales that were thought to be idiotic.

Start from AsSeenOnTV.com $5.1 million :ROFL:

My commission is 1% only

Last edited:
•••
With handregging, ultimately it's all a matter of quantity and buying domains that have a chance to sell. Most won't sell even if you're great at picking them, but some will. The more you have the more will sell if you have some understanding on what you're doing. Even better- some will sell for a lot because well... sometimes somebody who wants your domain has deep pockets and will be willing to pay a lot in order to get it. It's a matter of numbers and statistics. Like lottery tickets, in a way. The more you buy, the better your chances are to get a winner. Only here you can also use knowledge to increase your chances.

Whenever you see someone selling a handreg for $XX,XXX, naturally it's impressive and means that they know what they're doing, but make sure to also look at the rest of their portfolio. If there are a lot of other handregged domains there... think about their cost and the cost of their renewal each year. Don't just think about the sale. Think about all the ones that didn't sell and won't sell. The individual sale is still impressive but it puts things in perspective. It's easy to see only the big sale and not the big picture.

Last edited:
•••
I sell hang reg all the time. What you want to know, 10 reg'd 3 years ago and what gets renewed? Probably 70% of my .coms I am keeping though 3 years so far.

•••
Then there are the ones who know how to pick the names - the other side of the coin so to speak.

https://domaingang.com/domain-news/...d-made-almost-forty-grand-with-these-domains/

Show attachment 116621
So, two hand reg domains for $20 in 2011, add 8 years of renewal each. If you count the commissions and taxes paid for the 38k or so and is you ad the thousands or tens of thousand of his hand regs from the same period that did not sold, you will conclude that it's nothing out of ordinary. I can bet that there are lots of smaller domainers here at NP who have better ROI than him, but everything it's at a smaller scale, so it's not that evident.

•••
Show attachment 116615

On namePros most of us are familiar with a famous domainer that spent an entire night hand registering domains only to see them sell for millions of dollars. The domainer continues his streak and today is one of the most successful domainers on the planet.

Seems to me some businesses like Huge Domains are very much copying this process by registering millions of domains and hoping a percentage of them will resell at a profit. The difference here being that Huge Domains mostly registered dropped domains figuring eventually someone else will want them.

In German there is an expression.....

"Auch ein blindes Huhn findet mal ein Korn."

Loosely translated to english it means....

"Even a blind chicken sometimes finds a piece of corn"

The question here is can this be repeated in 2019?

So if someone decided to randomly sit 10 people down and hand register any combination of two word .com's could one conceivably have a successful business?

My opinion on this is that one probably could as long as the selling price of the domains stayed in the 2-4k range. Two word .com's are still very much in demand and chances of success are probably pretty good.

So what do my fellow domainers think?

Any successful blind chickens out there? :xf.laugh:

can this be repeated in 2019?

the problem we doesn't know its underground game, i am new to this business but have other online business.

nothing is reported :)

•••
Let's not forget the majority of us who "hand reg" are really buying domains that have died and are on expire lists. I think most of us don't wake up one morning and think up most of our hand regs.

This is why I jokingly refer to myself as a "Domain Re-Animator". I pick through the domain "grave yard" and "re-animate" dead names into the living.

Hopefully some turn into MON$TER$ !!!

•••
It is true that it seems the vast majority of new hand regs are not truly new. Now when I look at a hand-reg one thing I check is NTs Whois and surprised how many have been registered and dropped multiple times.

While the fact some domains were not let drop means something re quality, I don't think much. I think it has more to do with domain investment style of owner.

I am also amazed how much domainer to domsiner traffic. On NB about 10x as many sales under $100 as above.

I think a true work of art domain with high value is remarkably rare.

Bob

•••
Back