IT.COM

Epik, We have a problem. Domain removed from account without permission.

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I am sure as many of you are aware I have had issues with Epik in the past, but decided to give them a chance when I saw a domain I wanted on Name Liquidate.

I purchased the domain PianoMoving.com on 7/20. It was transferred into my account then.
This was the only domain in my account.

It was in my WHOIS information.
I updated the nameservers.

When I just checked it is magically no longer in my account.
The nameservers were changed.
I received zero contact about the domain being moved.

I have all the receipts -

1.) The purchase/renewal from Epik.
2.) The Paypal charge.
3.) Email of when the domain was moved into my account @ Epik.
4.) Email when the nameservers were updated in early August @ Epik.

I don't see any indication that the domain was removed from my account.
On top of zero communication, there also appears to be nothing under "Outgoing Pushes" or "Task History".

I sent a DM to @Rob Monster about this earlier this morning, but have not received a response yet.

I was just notified I received a refund. I don't want a refund.

I want the domain I won, that was in my account, which I had full control over.
It was removed from my account without permission or even notification.

I do not find this acceptable in any way.

@Epik.com, you have some explaining to do.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the way they "stuck their hand in your cookie jar" to take the cookie, and didnt tell you about it, is a violation of an agreement/privacy and just lacks human decency.
instead of rectifying it and figuring out how to get the domain name back, then they say "because hes a shareholder we helped him by internally moving the domain" ... how about treating all customers equally and not doing obscure under the table favors for shareholders by breaking into customers accounts and taking their purchased items?
the day they took the domain, where was the email to say "hey there was an error, and we had to remove the domain name." i bet they were hoping you'd never notice their mistake.
then the "well we have insurance so if you sue us, we dont care" comes off as "ill see you in court." what a way to treat customers.

ever since the data breach at epik, they were blacklisted by me. then when you add in the fact that they have the 3rd most expensive renewal price for .com (quite the feat considering there are hundreds/thousands of registrars), missing free features like email forwarding or ssl certificates, and now this ? and this entire time i was sitting here thinking godaddy was a bad registrar for charging $5 more dollars than namecheap to renew.

Last edited:
•••
I just submitted a complaint with ICANN. I am not sure what they will, or even can do.

In summary -

The domain pianomoving.com was removed from my account by Epik.com a month after I became the owner.
It was moved to the current registrant without authorization, notification, explanation, or refund at the time.

An unrequested refund was only provided, without explanation, after I discovered the domain missing.

What was going to happen if I did not notice this? Was Epik ever going to give me notice, explanation, or a refund?

I also pointed to the UDRP panel's ruling in the VOCL.com dispute.

In that case, Epik Inc. had been determined by the panel to have inherent conflicts of interest, provided materially inaccurate information and disclosures regarding domain ownership, and engaged in misconduct.

The panel also called into question the respondent's credibility and goes on to find serial misrepresentations by the respondent.

Please refer to the full findings here -
https://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=D2021-1050

I believe this is relevant because it is directly related to the credibility of the registrar itself.

I believe what Epik says should not be taken at face value, and what actually happened needs to be investigated further.

When you factor in the timeline and chain of events, I think it is reasonable to come to the conclusion that Epik acted in bad faith by removing the domain without authorization, notification, explanation, or a refund at the time.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I just submitted a complaint with ICANN. I am not sure what they will, or even can do.

In summary -

The domain pianomoving.com was removed from my account by Epik.com a month after I became the owner.
It was moved to the current registrant without authorization, notification, explanation, or refund at the time.

An unrequested refund was only provided, without explanation, when I discovered the issue much later.

What was going to happen if I did not notice this? Was Epik ever going to give me notice, explanation, or a refund?

I also pointed to the UDRP panel's ruling in the VOCL.com dispute.

In that case, Epik Inc. had been determined by the panel to have inherent conflicts of interest, provided materially inaccurate information and disclosures regarding domain ownership, and engaged in misconduct.

The panel also calls into question the respondent's credibility and goes on to find serial misrepresentations by the respondent.

Please refer to the full findings here -mains/search/text.jsp?case=D2021-1050[/URL]

I believe this is relevant because it is directly related to the credibility of the registrar itself.

I believe what Epik says should be not taken at face value. What actually happened needs to be investigated further.

I don’t think they should be given the benefit of the doubt, because of their past behavior.

When you factor in the timeline and chain of events, I think it is reasonable to come to the conclusion that Epik acted in bad faith by removing the domain without authorization, notification, explanation, of a refund at the time.

Brad

I thought epik gave u refund without asking or chasing after it?

•••
Sh't happens , move on and find another domain .

•••
•••
I thought epik gave u refund without asking or chasing after it?

They provided a refund, without explanation, only after I noticed the domain missing almost (2) weeks after it was removed from my account without notice.

I own thousands of domains, and have used dozens of registrars. I have never had a domain leave my account without notice at any other registrar.

I have no idea what would have happened if I didn't notice the domain missing.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

“Everything that needs to be said has already been said"​

•••

Mind your own business and speak for yourself. He is providing an update that is most relevant. Any stakeholder in business understands that a registrar cannot be allowed just to ignore the abuse and hope that it goes away.

•••
This is my business its a open forum . You have all the legal options at hand submit a complaint with ICANN .

•••
•••
https://www.epik.com/buy/pianomoving.com

Pianomoving.com Is currently listed for sale on Epik (make offer). So, the Epik account where the domain resides opted to list it for sale on Epik marketplace. Why is this? And, assuming that the payment plan is not yet completed as we learned, how can it be for sale in the first place?

pm.jpg

•••
https://www.epik.com/buy/pianomoving.com

Pianomoving.com Is currently listed for sale on Epik (make offer). So, the Epik account where the domain resides opted to list it for sale on Epik marketplace. Why is this? And, assuming that the payment plan is not yet completed as we learned, how can it be for sale in the first place?
What a mess.

•••
@bmugford

You still seem to have it listed at Dan. Just a heads up ;)

•••
What a surprise. A new Let's Encrypt garbage TLS certificate has been created today, September 15th. Aside from the weird and seemingly random combinations with other Epik customers that you don't want to be associated with (shelter, anyone?), doing this as often as Epik/Terrahost does is totally unnecessary.

https://crt.sh/?id=7544255699

X509v3 Subject Alternative Name:
DNS:7r.net
DNS:arbitragegraph.info
DNS:californialandscapedesign.com
DNS:cannabisauditor.com.bakedbeansd.io.animationvideosuite.com
DNS:daddyvladdy.org
DNS:doneforyouarticles.com
DNS:eazcbd.com.shippingcontainerbuildings.net
DNS:eroticpodcasts.com
DNS:forextrainingcourse.com
DNS:gayutopia.org
DNS:immoloca.com
DNS:instructionalu.com
DNS:jiovanny.com.mechanics-tools.com
DNS:pedigreedoggrooming.com
DNS:pianomoving.com
DNS:tastylia.com
DNS:www.lifebeginsatconception.com
DNS:xn--kassaskp-g0a.com
DNS:yrtr.me

Last edited:
•••
•••
doing this as often as Epik/Terrahost does is totally unnecessary
If they are issuing multidomain certs, this is technically acceptable and not uncommon. Imo. Any change --> all the set reissued. Should, for example, gayutopian eroticpodcasts decide to switch host as they do not want to be associated with piano movers anymore - then these domains will be deleted from the epik/terrahost system, and a request would be generated to reissue the certificate without 2 deleted domains. And/or vice versa... It all depends on the setup and even on sysadmins personal taste. Of course, they do not expect namepros members to be such a good investigators :) But, indeed, an issue of questionable neighbors is something that any customer of any webhost/registrar should at least be aware of...

Last edited:
•••
Should, for example, gayutopian eroticpodcasts decide to switch host as they do not want to be associated with piano movers anymore
Well said :xf.grin:

•••
This is indeed a mess. So sorry this happened to you @bmugford

One takeaway is move your auction win domains to another registrar as soon as possible.

This could have been a positive pr spin for Epik if they responded in a way that showed their concern for the innocent party, the buyer, in a meaningful way. Could have been lemonade but now the opportunity is lost.

•••
Last edited:
•••
This is indeed a mess. So sorry this happened to you @bmugford

One takeaway is move your auction win domains to another registrar as soon as possible.

This could have been a positive pr spin for Epik if they responded in a way that showed their concern for the innocent party, the buyer, in a meaningful way. Could have been lemonade but now the opportunity is lost.

it was probably transfer locked

•••
I have had this happen twice to me through the years , in the mid 2000s at a dominant domain auction house . In that case , it was a software glitch that caused the incident . Although I had the domain in my account at the auction house for 5 weeks, the domain never made it to my desired transfer register account. It is indeed a time consuming process and very disappointing event , the auction house did compensate me , but only to use the compensation on their platform .

Last edited:
•••
I also have no idea where the $4,750 price came from.
Highly confusing indeed.

This seems to be the price for buying the "US" whois database from Whoxy.

1663340328103.png

Last edited:
•••
Exact same thing happening with me today...Domain out of my account and listed on Epik under "Make offer"....I paid over 8k for the domain...
Something fishy is going on...

•••
Exact same thing happening with me today...Domain out of my account and listed on Epik under "Make offer"....I paid over 8k for the domain...
Something fishy is going on...

I am sorry to hear that. I guess Epik has some more explaining to do.

Was it removed without notice or explanation?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I am sorry to hear that. I guess Epik has some more explaining to do.

Was it removed without notice or explanation?

Brad
Yep. No email. Nothing. Now it's listed on their marketplace. I had my email on that domain as well...I'm hoping to hear from them asap....else I'd have to call my attorney next week...

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back