NameSilo

Epik, We have a problem. Domain removed from account without permission.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am sure as many of you are aware I have had issues with Epik in the past, but decided to give them a chance when I saw a domain I wanted on Name Liquidate.

I purchased the domain PianoMoving.com on 7/20. It was transferred into my account then.
This was the only domain in my account.

It was in my WHOIS information.
I updated the nameservers.

When I just checked it is magically no longer in my account.
The nameservers were changed.
I received zero contact about the domain being moved.

I have all the receipts -

1.) The purchase/renewal from Epik.
2.) The Paypal charge.
3.) Email of when the domain was moved into my account @ Epik.
4.) Email when the nameservers were updated in early August @ Epik.

I don't see any indication that the domain was removed from my account.
On top of zero communication, there also appears to be nothing under "Outgoing Pushes" or "Task History".

I sent a DM to @Rob Monster about this earlier this morning, but have not received a response yet.

I was just notified I received a refund. I don't want a refund.

I want the domain I won, that was in my account, which I had full control over.
It was removed from my account without permission or even notification.

I do not find this acceptable in any way.

@Epik.com, you have some explaining to do.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I feel like an outcome that includes an apology for what happened, a commitment to make sure it doesn't happen again, and an equitable offer to resolve their mistake is best for all parties involved.

Have I got this right @bmugford, what you want is these three things and then it's over?

1) Apology for what happened

2) Commitment to not let it happen again

3) Financial compensation (or return of domain name)

•••
Have I got this right @bmugford, what you want is these three things and then it's over?

He should also demand a copy of Redemo's e-book "Developer's Guide on how to make 2.74$/day from each domain" ))

Seriously, though, if Epik follows your advice, they can undo some of the self-inflicted damage. They spent way more on an event at Namescon trying to get some positive PR.

I had a conversation with Sufiyan of Epik and was considering moving few thousand domains as an experiment. Needless to say that it is not happening any longer.

•••
Seems like Epik think this issue is 'done and dusted'.

They couldn't be more wrong. Who on earth will trust them with their domains now.

They need to sort this out and make things right.

•••
I "support this company monetarily"??? I invested about 10 years ago. Do you really not understand how investments work or are you simply just trolling me?
It’s not about you, it’s about epik giving privileges to the 1% of customers that they deem special.

You as an investor in the company, no matter when, clearly got special treatment in this case.

The domain expired dude, plain and simple. Your payment plan deal was null and void once Brad won the expired auction and took possession of the domain.

Because you financially supported epik they made a poor decision to steal Brads domain in order to facilitate your transaction. It’s simple to see how epik operates which in any circumstance is disgraceful.

Last edited:
•••
Seems like Epik think this issue is 'done and dusted'.

They couldn't be more wrong. Who on earth will trust them with their domains now.

They need to sort this out and make things right.
People trust them even after the hack apparently, there are always people who don't read the news or these forum posts, and some are naive and still trust after all, but later get burnt. And then they wonder how. Never trust companies who do not take all their clients serious, if they screw people once, they will do it again, because they know people will always give them a second chance or third, but I will never be Epik's client, lesson learnt from others.

Last edited:
•••
People trust them even after the hack apparently, there are always people who don't read the news or these forum posts, and some are naive and still trust after all, but later get burnt. And then they wonder how. Never trust companies who do not take all their clients serious, if they screw people once, they will do it again, because they know people will always give them a second chance or third, but I will never be Epik's client, lesson learnt from others.

Being hacked is no big deal. Swiss banks get hacked all the time. Oh, wait ... ?

•••
@bmugford

Is it correct that up to this point they haven't reached out to you at all, explaining/discussing the situation except for rob's insane statement?

It's crazy...

That is correct. Epik has had no further communication with me when it comes to trying to resolve this.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

Yeah, I think that would be a reasonable remedy to the situation.

The ball is in Epik's court. They know how to get a hold of me.

Brad

•••
•••
I have no words ...

I would think this would be a good opportunity for a new CEO to start out on the right foot with the domain investment community, but what do I know.

Brad

•••
Yeah, I think that would be a reasonable remedy to the situation.

The ball is in Epik's court. They know how to get a hold of me.

Brad
lol they are not going to do anything about it.... Its over unless you go to court with them.

•••
Will you contact ICANN or you will listen to Braden's fairy tales?
I would not believe his words until he provided live evidence of all the dates when domain was sold, when was the first payment etc.

•••
Will you contact ICANN...

I am planning to file a complaint with ICANN later this week.

As far as Braden's role, I don't believe he had control at the time I purchased the domain.

It seems like, if there really was some mistake, it was related to Epik or the payment plan buyer. Whichever party was responsible for renewal would have failed to carry out their duties and only resolved it by taking the domain without permission, notification, or explanation.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I am planning to file a complaint with ICANN later this week.

As far as Braden's role, I don't believe he had control at the time I purchased the domain.

It seems like, if there really was some mistake, it was related to Epik or the payment plan buyer. Whichever party was responsible for renewal would have failed to carry out their duties and only resolved it by taking the domain without permission, notification, or explanation.

Brad
Will this be resolved by tomorrow? Why did you say the domain being removed from your account was up to debate?

•••
Will this be resolved by tomorrow? Why did you say the domain being removed from your account was up to debate?
Will it be resolved by tomorrow? Sure, if Epik contacts me and we reach a resolution.
Outside that, unlikely.

The domain being removed from my account without authorization is NOT up for debate. It undoubtedly happened. As did the lack of notification and explanation.

If anything else was said, it must have been a typo.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
@bmugford Do you have proof of the the whois in your name like a screenshot of when you had it showing your info? Also do you have a screenshot of it in your account? Also, did they ever say why no email of ownership change or is that what your waiting on?

•••
@bmugford Do you have proof of the the whois in your name like a screenshot of when you had it showing your info? Also do you have a screenshot of it in your account? Also, did they ever say why no email of ownership change or is that what your waiting on?

I have the screenshots of basically everything.
Epik has also made no attempt to deny any of the core claims.

For instance here is a screenshot showing my WHOIS profile was applied to the domain on 7/20.

New Project (3).jpg

Or one showing when I updated the nameservers on 8/2.

New Project (4).jpg

•••
I have the screenshots of basically everything.
Epik has also made no attempt to deny any of the core claims.

For instance here is a screenshot showing my WHOIS profile was applied to the domain on 7/20.

Or one showing when I updated the nameservers on 8/2.
You probably need a purchase receipt id # to show them too, but yeah looks like you show whois/ownership change. Hope you get it resolved, if they never reply you might have to just move on. At, least you got your $'s back

Last edited:
•••
You probably need a purchase receipt idea # to show them too, but yeah looks like you show whois/ownership change. Hope you get it resolved, if they never reply you might have to just move on. At, least you got your $'s back

I have all the receipts.

New Project (5).jpg

•••
I have all the receipts.
Is odd when you own it for less than 2 months then lose it. But, yeah guess that can happen, but just disappearing like magic from your account sounds odd but if new owner has sold it you may not be able to get it back.

•••
Is odd when you own it for less than 2 months then lose it. But, yeah guess that can happen, but just disappearing like magic from your account sounds odd but if new owner has sold it you may not be able to get it back.

This is not some normal situation. This is not like an expired auction being renewed before it is moved into your account. This does not involve theft.

I tried multiple times to find one similar case to this. Despite talking to people who own a collective hundreds of thousands of domains, I could not find even one single comparable example to what happened here.

Epik can explain to ICANN why they initiated a change of registrant without authorization or notification.
Also, they can explain why they didn't provide any explanation or refund, until I caught it later.

"Registrar Compliance Program"

https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/registrar-compliance-program-03nov16-en.pdf

Transfer Policy Requirements (continued)

Inter-Registrant transfers/Change of Registrant (COR)

To complete any Material Change to the Registrant Name, Registrant

Organization, Registrant email address and Admin email address (if there is no

Registrant email address), registrars must:

¤ Obtain express consent from both Prior Registrant and New Registrant (or Designated Agents) through secure mechanism
¤ Process COR within one day of receiving consent

¤ Notify both Registrants of COR per policy

¤ Impose 60-day inter-registrar transfer lock following COR

¤ Registrants may opt out of lock prior to any COR request

¤ Material Change is a non-typographical correction

Last edited:
•••
This is not some normal situation. This is not like an expired auction being renewed before it is moved into your account. This does not involve theft.

I tried multiple times to find one similar case to this. Despite talking to people who own a collective hundreds of thousands of domains, I could not find even one single comparable example to what happened here.

Epik can explain to ICANN why they initiated a change of registrant without authorization or notification.
Also, they can explain why they didn't provide any explanation or refund, until I caught it later.

"Registrar Compliance Program"

https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/registrar-compliance-program-03nov16-en.pdf

Transfer Policy Requirements (continued)

Inter-Registrant transfers/Change of Registrant (COR)

To complete any Material Change to the Registrant Name, Registrant

Organization, Registrant email address and Admin email address (if there is no

Registrant email address), registrars must:

¤ Obtain express consent from both Prior Registrant and New Registrant (or Designated Agents) through secure mechanism
¤ Process COR within one day of receiving consent

¤ Notify both Registrants of COR per policy

¤ Impose 60-day inter-registrar transfer lock following COR

¤ Registrants may opt out of lock prior to any COR request

¤ Material Change is a non-typographical correction
Honestly, if it was stolen it'd be easy to get back even if it changed hands twice. But, your case is very odd and it may be hard or not possible to get back. What strikes me as weird is that you got no notification and had to contact to be refunded.

•••
What strikes me as weird is that you got no notification and had to contact to be refunded.
Yes, it just magically disappeared from my account without a trace.
Poof, gone.

It also strikes me as odd, and I don't accept Epik's response after the fact at face value for a number of reasons. When I file the ICANN complaint I am likely to expand on that.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Should we all be screen-shotting things now?

•••
Should we all be screen-shotting things now?
Well, if every company acted like Epik in this situation, it is probably the safe thing to do.

If I owned many domains there, I might not even have noticed this domain missing.
Was Epik ever planning to contact me or provide a refund otherwise?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back