NameSilo

.tv Ebay blast

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
i moved this to its own thread from the kuwaitnews thread-

if people are interested then we can set this all up- i suggested blasting ebay with a bunch of tv names.
now, the actual purpose would be more to spread the tv word, but if a sale happened, awesome :)

ebay gets a lot of traffic. you never know who your enduser might be. my thoughts are if on a certain day, a large amount of tv names went up for sale, it might have a greater impact than one or two.

it would need to be consistant tho. you dont see mcdonalds rolling out 50 different theme songs at one shot- it would not help to build the brand. the listings would have to be consistant- repetitious.

they would all need to use the gallery image, to make an impact- and we would need to do a write up for the description- and the same write up shows on every listing. after you put the details about your particular name, you pop in this description.

people read over and over and over about .tv and where it is going, and how it fits.

now- there may not be a single sale- and the point is to go into this not exactly expecting one- it is more of a marketing plug. but who knows, someone may make a sale.

ebay is cheap- and this is a real cheap way to reach a whole lotta people, and make a little noise about .tv. so for me to spend 15 bucks on a few listings, to me is not money wasted, if it is done right.

but, 15 listings wouldnt do it- people wouldnt even blink an eye. we need alot of listings for people to look and say, holy crap, what is this all about???? if you cant garner that kind of reaction, then it is a waste of money.
so, this may sound unrealistic, but i am thinking there should be no less han 100 listings hitting all on the same day- i know i would be at least ten of those

100 or more .tv listings, rolling out at once, in mass form. i do think that might get people looking, and reading, at .tv and all it is.

so anyways, thats my idea :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nice one freedom30.....Especially the tag line at the end!

•••
I'll do it. Please PM me when you are going to list Smash.

•••
HasRob said:
I would put all these .tv domains in the .com area are you kidding me :imho:

When are we doing this?

really? cant we get in trouble for that?

•••
smashfactory said:
really? cant we get in trouble for that?

I doubt that we would get in trouble but we would be defeating our own purpose. We ARE .tv and we need to establish that fact by the procedures we are setting forth. Climbing or raiding onto .com will only verify what everyone knows, that .com is the dominant extension. We aren't disputing that, we are a seperate entity, a branching off and climbing UP the technological evolutionary ladder, so to speak.

We should be quite able stay our ground and make it be known that WE ARE THE FUTURE PRESENT of the Internet and beyond in terms of interactive and visual media.

In essence, we don't need .com to springboard us if we know how to market ourselves. It's going to happen and we are going to be there to see it through.

However...If one or two .tv domain names should happen to fall through the cracks and find their way to a .com accidently, that would not be the end of the world either.

•••
i like your tagline and the few changes you made freedom- looks likes a winning effort!

i would like to do this after jan. 10th- after the domaintools auction, but before the 17th, before the great domains auction- sheesh- is that right?

if we do it for 7 days, we pick the day we want the auctions to end on, and basic time, then take it from there- in doing a little research it seems we should have the auctions end around 10pm eastern time on a sunday night

some stats-
between nov. 30 and dec 29th-

140 domains sold via auction- 8 via store
192 were listed for 3 days, 545 were for 7 days, and 100 were for 10 days
51 sold on saturday, 38 on friday and 32 on sunday (guess we need to move to a sat night end)
most domains sold between 7-9pm

•••
It's a start.

Decide on a definite date and time and it's a go for me.

•••
ok then how about- 7 day run- start on 19th, end on the 26th- does those dates sound ok to everyone? does it conflict with anything?

this will give me time to set up

•••
smashfactory said:
ok then how about- 7 day run- start on 19th, end on the 26th- does those dates sound ok to everyone? does it conflict with anything?

sounds good to me.

•••
In as well. You can list mine if you want to.

•••
Till there is a separate .tv category at ebay, you'll be better suited in listing under .com, thats where the eyeballs are.

And Let me know the date, I'll list two too...just for moral support.

Good Luck

•••
mwzd said:
Till there is a separate .tv category at ebay, you'll be better suited in listing under .com, thats where the eyeballs are.

And Let me know the date, I'll list two too...just for moral support.

Good Luck

Agreed! A little cheeky, but what the heck, controversy generates publicity.

and not to give dottie even more work, but really as many people as possible should throw some names into the ring.....the more names, the bigger the impact...

also....please dont look at this as a way to offload crap names that we have all regged......remembr that .TV is all about brand with names you could never afford in .com.......well if we give crap names, no one wants a crap name in any extention...and we will have defeated the purpose of the whole exercise.......

•••
smashfactory said:

Yep,

Plenty of prep time for me. Is there a time as well for this?

•••
let me check- i believe the auction ends the same time it started, but a week later- so we would be shooting for listing on the 19th, at appr 10pm eastern time-

anyone who is in, please work on our descriptions and get them to me before the 15th if i am listing you- if you know you wont be around to list at 10pm eastern on the 19th, let me know and i can bulk list on mine

•••
Smash,

I'm working on mine and already have two that will be released on Jan. 19, 2008 at 9pm(That is 7pm PST for ebay time). The others will be ready by then. Plenty of time.

Anyone spreading the word to media or interested parties so far?

Let's synchronize our watches and get this day and time right for the event.

Have a great day, one and all involved!

•••
I listed quite a few .tv's in the .com area before and as mentioned, thats where all the eyeballs are.

•••
I placed the proverbial note in the bottle to ebay asking them to consider giving .tv its own category as they have with .com, .net,.org. and other. We are worthy of such.

Hope they at least respond with more than a form email whether or not they actually follow my suggestion. Worth a shot, anyway.

•••
i thinks it sonly .10 to schedule it- we should do that ahead of time so we can easliy schedule it to hit at the same time-

freedom, even tho you listed your stuff you are gonn ahave to edit it a bit- we need to go with the same gallery image, and title description-

if in all our titles we did something like:

:domain name: - Mass .TV Rollout!

or something like that- if we all had the same title except for the domain name itself, then in our inside descriptions we can write:

To search for the other .tv listngs that were part of this rollout, put "Mass .tv Rollout" in search.

that would bring up all the domains with that in the title-

ron is away till the end of the month, so anyone who wants to help to get the word out that would be awesome

•••
I'd suggest the "Default" description to have a few keywords that no other listings on Ebay will possibly have as well ;)

Then everyone here could add links to sigs / websites that links to that particular set of Search results on Ebay ... which will only help everyone involved and Get the listings crawled by the Engine bots even better (Most ebay listings are picked up by google etc .. pretty quickly though) - But every little bit could help. :tu:

•••
smashfactory said:
i thinks it sonly .10 to schedule it- we should do that ahead of time so we can easliy schedule it to hit at the same time-

freedom, even tho you listed your stuff you are gonn ahave to edit it a bit- we need to go with the same gallery image, and title description-

if in all our titles we did something like:

:domain name: - Mass .TV Rollout!

or something like that- if we all had the same title except for the domain name itself, then in our inside descriptions we can write:

To search for the other .tv listngs that were part of this rollout, put "Mass .tv Rollout" in search.

that would bring up all the domains with that in the title-

ron is away till the end of the month, so anyone who wants to help to get the word out that would be awesome

I did not list the ten yet. I have two up there not involved in this project and they aren't using the .tv script we decided on at the end. I used an older one I made.

The two I have waiting in the wings so far are wino.tv and toydolls.tv and they won't pop up until 9pm central time on the 19th this month.

What common pic should we use on the gallery?

On my store I use a tv test pattern for the logo, but that is only for nostalgia sake as I actually remember them from once upon a time. D-:

Mark said:
I'd suggest the "Default" description to have a few keywords that no other listings on Ebay will possibly have as well ;)

Then everyone here could add links to sigs / websites that links to that particular set of Search results on Ebay ... which will only help everyone involved and Get the listings crawled by the Engine bots even better (Most ebay listings are picked up by google etc .. pretty quickly though) - But every little bit could help. :tu:

As I am kind of new to this particular technique(and slow to comprehend), it may take me a while to absorb what you just said and put it to practical use, but it sure sounds like marketing and that sounds good to me!!

If I have any trouble I may ask for help on this.

•••
if you go to ebay and type into the search- cool domains- those domains with cool and domains in the title show up in the search- by giving any viewer a search string that is unique tto our listings- they can stumble into one listing, say via a different search- and have a way to pull up the roll of names from a unique search sting that is in the title-

now, with that being said and what mark said- we should also, to utilize the search to our best ability- properly utilize most searched keywords, if they apply- to raise our searched views-

read here:

http://www.listmystore.com/ebay_research.htm

http://www.nameopoly.com/domain-name-sales/ebays-most-searched-keywords-for-doamon-names.html

both our title and main descriptions should use somee of these words wisely- our title tho also needs to have a unique sting tho that is unique to our listings- and it must be the title because a viewer has tto manually click "search description"- the title is default-

•••
smash... I know I'm not invited to the party... but can I send you two of my names for listing?

Or I could list them to release at the requisite date.

Either way is fine, I'd be happy to design a template that everyone can follow too... make life simple. Let me know.

•••
anyone is invited silly :)

my fault: i shouldnt have used the word template- i meant just the inside description that we will be using- it will be straight up text

•••
Hi Smash,
can I add 2 to the party also?
Ben

•••
•••
Mine are all set to go Jan. 19, 2008 at 9pm. Pls let me know should the launch time/date change.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back