Dynadot

Dynadot steal your domains

NameSilo
Watch

Marko12

Established Member
Impact
Dynadot stole 3 or 4 domains from me, these were .uk, I got an email saying xxxx.uk was removed from my account. I investigated, as dynadot are accredited Nominet registrars you must be able to renew your domain right up to the point of cancellation. Not dynadot, they place expiring domains in an auction, if someone bids they remove the domain and change the registrant email (again against Nominet t&c's).

I realise they can have an auction in case it drops but they cannot touch the domain until that point, but they do.

Nominet were great, transferred the domains back to me no problem. Here is the icing on the cake, they have one of my domains on sedo ! No idea what they will do if it sells, they don't own it and I moved around 200 domains from dynadot today and another 900+ will be going from them in the next week , that's just the .uk ones I will be transferring the rest as well.

I can only thank Nominet and my new registrar (bareflame) for their fantastic support and I can only condemn dynadot for the apalling way they treat their customers. It made me laugh in another thread where they said it would be despicable to do such a thing, but believe me , they do it. I have screenshots of it all.

I thought they were ok, boy my eyes were opened, customer service is non existent and when you get it, it is quite funny as it is so scripted. They tried to say it was my sedo listing. I'm sure sedo logs IP' s and it sure wasn't mine, in fact dynadot are the only people who could access it.

That's my experience with dynadot.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeas avoid dealing with DYNADOT at all cost .

They dont deserve to be in business .

•••
•••
Scammers is right in front of you! I think they should be reported to BB; to avoid more victems!!

•••
Yes they also accused me off PayPal fraud a while back . There customer service rep was a complete bitch and would not listen to me . At the end PayPal paid me my money back .

Avoid them at all costs .

•••
I thought they were ok, boy my eyes were opened, customer service is non existent and when you get it, it is quite funny as it is so scripted.

Anybody using Dynadot, or thinking of using them, needs to read the warnings here about them locking your account without warning:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/dynadot-refusing-to-unlock-account-what-are-my-options.824770/
Which leads to unhelpful scripted messages from unhelpful customer support, at best, and a block on pushing or transferring domains, including ones you have sold.

•••
from what I have experienced, even if I win a expired dynadot domain and pay for it, if the 'previous' owner renews it, I get refunded and the domain does not land in my account

•••
+ I also don't understand: what rights have @Dynadot to rewrite WHOIS by their data on Expiration Date and to block transfer-outs in AutoRenew-Grace Period???
I talk about gTLD-domains...

With domain.com I can transfer-out my domains up to 40 days upon Expiration Date and they don't touch WHOIS!
Because they strictly follow ICANN-rules!

Last edited:
•••
Accordingly Sedo...
Contact them directly - and they will remove your domains from their marketplace.

•••

You only need to email us if you want to transfer a GTLD domain after it expires. ICANN doesn't really take a position on what should or should not happen to the Whois information after a domain expires, so some Registrars choose to replace it with expired info and others choose not to.

•••
Hmmm,

@Dynadot any comments?

We list domains in our auctions "some time" after they expire. In the case of a UK domain, this happens about ~80 days after expiration. That is what happened to the OP.

So no, we didn't steal his domains.

"Here is the icing on the cake, they have one of my domains on sedo !"

We don't list domains on Sedo (or Afternic or any other similar sites). It is possible the owner of an auction could have done that, though I think it is unlikely, since the Whois information isn't immediately updated and I think, but can't be sure, that both Sedo and Afternic use the Whois information to verify ownership of a domain.

•••
Thanks for your reply.
But I prefer to work with Registrars which don't create problems for me and/or don't waste my time (where all operations are available via panel).

•••
Holly cow... thanks for the heads up....I had no idea DynaDot were a bunch of dodgy skanks

•••
WARNING .

STAY AWAY FROM DYNANOT .

•••
They also locked my account .

And had to transfer my domains out . I let most of them expire .

STAY AWAY FROM DYNADOT . THEY SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN .

•••
Hmmm just wondering......how come these DynaDot skanks still have an active banner ad here on NP. I think their banner ad should be taken down to avoid other NP members getting conned by them.

•••
I have had several hundred domains registered at Dynadot for the last 7-8 years and had no problems. Of course I don't participate in their auctions and don't usually push the limits of the expiration dates. I have recovered a few after they expired without any problem.

I seems unlikely that was just the result of luck.

•••
I've been a happy Dynadot customer for ~9 years. I really appreciate that the UI is not like godaddy.

•••
OP said:
Dynadot stole 3 or 4 domains from me, these were .uk, I got an email saying xxxx.uk was removed from my account. I investigated, as dynadot are accredited Nominet registrars you must be able to renew your domain right up to the point of cancellation. Not dynadot, they place expiring domains in an auction, if someone bids they remove the domain and change the registrant email (again against Nominet t&c's).

I realise they can have an auction in case it drops but they cannot touch the domain until that point, but they do.

Dynadot said (is the poster really Dynadot?):
We list domains in our auctions "some time" after they expire. In the case of a UK domain, this happens about ~80 days after expiration. That is what happened to the OP.

So no, we didn't steal his domains.

Well if you take something you are not entitled to and then refuse to give it back until forced to by a third party what would you call that @Dynadot ?

•••
In all fairness ,I think they have a 30 day grace with dynadot ,and once they actually let me renew at the regular price before it went to the general public redemption.Theres an old saying believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. Although anything is possible,people should take everything with a grain of salt till they investigate it for themselves.

•••
@Dynadot, you took control of the domain and changed the email, Nominet told me this themselves so you are lying, Another reason I will tell that is lies, you are no have expiring .uk domains anymore do you ? wonder why (nothing to do with Nominet's enforcement team having a chat with you was it !) . To prove you are lying here is a reply from you regarding one of the domains.(I still have all the original emails). Nominet state you have 90 days to renew any .uk domain name. You took ownership on day 85 by changing the email address (which was not authorised) and this can be proven by Nominet themselves, do you really want to go there ? I am still waiting for a refund for all the additional costs.

"Hello,

You had a total of 85 days to grace renew your .org.uk domain. Since it was not renewed within that time frame, it was deleted from your account.

Best Regards,
Dynadot Support Team"

This domain ended being placed on sedo before the 90 days were up, Nominet were fantastic and sorted everything quickly, I see dynadot now seem to comply with Nominets terms and conditions, that's good to see (but I also know you don't have much margin for error to keep you accredited status !), but don't make me out to be a liar when I'm not because I will happily ask Nominet to write an email stating your violated their terms and conditions and effectively stole control of the domains from me.

Ben Pedri - I have emails from all sides including nominet, the 30 days is for .com's etc, .uk domains are 90 days.

•••
WARNING .

Do not use DYNANOT . Any little dispute they will lock your account OR get you to transfer your domains out .

They are the worst registrar on the internet .

•••
•••
•••

What does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

Dynadot stole 3 or 4 domains from me, these were .uk, I got an email saying xxxx.uk was removed from my account. I investigated, as dynadot are accredited Nominet registrars you must be able to renew your domain right up to the point of cancellation. Not dynadot, they place expiring domains in an auction, if someone bids they remove the domain and change the registrant email (again against Nominet t&c's)..

I suppose you read the T&C when you signed up, right? Everyone else seems to know how things work. I don't agree with auctions of domains at all. I believe in a straight random drop principal; however, just about every single registrar participates in some form - Dynadot, Enom, Pheenix, Name, GoDaddy, Tucows, etc. etc. etc.

They tried to say it was my sedo listing. I'm sure sedo logs IP' s and it sure wasn't mine, in fact dynadot are the only people who could access it.

That's my experience with dynadot.

You are trying to say it is their listing - he said, she said? You're are guilty of the same crime as your accusation. No idea what "only people who could access it" means - anyone can put stuff on Sedo just about.

I'm glad you got your names back. I highly recommend that you renew on a proper cycle to avoid this type of situation in the future.

Hmmm just wondering......how come these DynaDot skanks still have an active banner ad here on NP. I think their banner ad should be taken down to avoid other NP members getting conned by them.

This is your level of research? One poster gets mad and because of that you assume that an entire business (been around for a while) is a con job and they are skanks? Really?

Dynadot has some issues but they've always resolved them with emails/phone call.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back