IT.COM

Dynadot Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi all!

We’ve created this thread to make it easier to communicate with us here on Namepros, and we’ll also be posting regular updates on our offers and products. Please feel free to share any feedback and suggestions with us, or to let us know if there’s anything we can assist with.

We’d like to kick things off with an extension of our $7.99 .COM transfer sale, the code “COMTRANS4” has been extended until 23:59 PST on May 31, and there’s no limit on how many domains you can transfer using the code. Every month we have great prices on a wide selection of domains, and you can find a full list of our sales here:

https://www.dynadot.com/sales.html

We’re also excited to share that our CEO, Todd Han, will be hosting an AMA (Ask Me Anything) right here on Namepros in the near future, with more information on a date and time coming soon.

Dynadot is an ICANN accredited domain name registrar and web host headquartered in San Mateo, California. Founded in 2002 by a software engineer, our primary focus is engineering and design excellence. Our custom written, state-of-the-art domain and hosting software is stable, fast, and easy to use. From humble beginnings, we have grown steadily and now are home to over 2.6 million domains.

Our goal is to provide our customers with world class registration and hosting services for a reasonable price. Most of our site is fully automated, allowing us to offer some of the lowest prices in the industry. At the same time we strive to provide excellent customer service, and helpful responses to all questions. If anything is not to your satisfaction, feel free to contact us, and we will do our best to resolve the situation.

We individually respond to every email we receive - no cut and paste responses. Customer service is handled by highly trained customer service representatives that work closely with our software engineers, so you are likely to get an intelligent response to your question.

Contact information:
Live chat support: https://www.dynadot.com/chat/login_resp.html
Email support: [email protected]
North American phone support: +1.866-262-3399 (toll free) and +1.650-262-0100
Chinese phone support: 400 803 5591
This was a promoted post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Our website is currently down for maintenance. Estimated time: 45 minutes.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

•••
i deal with 15 registrars. none of them shut down like this on clients.

its borderline outrageous. and is certainly unprofessional.

if u think this is not making yer clients think twice about dealing with you then i urge u to think again.

respectfully, your outraged superbulk client.

Last edited:
•••
i deal with 15 registrars. none of them shut down like this on clients.

its borderline outrageous. and is certainly unprofessional.

if u think this is not making yer clients think twice about dealing with you then i urge u to think again.

respectfully, your outraged superbulk client.
We're truly sorry for the downtime and any trouble that has caused. The site is now back online and all services have returned to normal.

•••
We're truly sorry for the downtime and any trouble that has caused. The site is now back online and all services have returned to normal.

i already knew youd say that
the real problem is what will u do to change this in future
but i think i already know what u will say now too
ty

•••
Today i was checking my spam box on gmail and found few Transfer Away emails from @Dynadot

•••
@Dynadot - thank you for starting this thread. A great idea. And a great registrar :).

Planned technical maintenance. It is so frequent. And you shut rhe website down each time. Not convinient. Are there any workarounds? Why is this? Just imagine what if lets say amazon was doing the same... they definitely do, but in background. So, it should be possible to run backups in some other way... ?

•••
Today i was checking my spam box on gmail and found few Transfer Away emails from @Dynadot
Our emails may sometimes be flagged as spam by a provider due to the large volume of emails we send out unfortunately. Adding [email protected] to your email contacts and marking the emails as safe should help with the delivery of those.

•••
@Dynadot - thank you for starting this thread. A great idea. And a great registrar :).

Planned technical maintenance. It is so frequent. And you shut rhe website down each time. Not convinient. Are there any workarounds? Why is this? Just imagine what if lets say amazon was doing the same... they definitely do, but in background. So, it should be possible to run backups in some other way... ?
Our team do try to avoid maintenance whenever possible and keep any required maintenance to a minimum, the maintenance periods would be restricted to major backend changes and we may need to take the website offline during these times to prevent any issues from occurring whilst the updates are being implemented. Usually the maintenance period should only take 1-2 minutes at the most but there can sometimes be unexpected problems that cause the maintenance period to last longer unfortunately.

•••
Our team do try to avoid maintenance whenever possible and keep any required maintenance to a minimum, the maintenance periods would be restricted to major backend changes and we may need to take the website offline during these times to prevent any issues from occurring whilst the updates are being implemented. Usually the maintenance period should only take 1-2 minutes at the most but there can sometimes be unexpected problems that cause the maintenance period to last longer unfortunately.

I mean this with the greatest respect but have you guys never heard of load balancing?

•••
Really appreciate that you set up an official thread @Dynadot . I am glad that a number of businesses do have NamePros official threads, and wish they all did.

Great news that Todd Han will respond on an AMA. What a great idea, and look forward to it!

A lot of helpful links and information in your opening post.

Thanks,

Bob

•••
Thank you my favourite Registrar for the Official thread. It would increase better experience for users.

A request please charge less for domain tasting.

Thanks

•••
Thank you for setting up this official thread in NP.

Looking forward for regular updates.

•••
Hey @Dynadot , thanks for creating this thread. You are at the top of my favorite registrars list.
And will also take this moment to appreciate your developments on the mobile app, it so much convenient to manage domains through the app. More power to you ✌️

Last edited:
•••
Dynadot an up comer registrar greatly respect

Problem; $500 min to payout from DD auctions

Last edited:
•••
Hi @Dynadot -- I'm happy to see this thread come to fruition, and look forward to transparent ongoing discussion.

Today, upon going to Dynadot.com to initiate a domain transfer to yall, I noticed, 🔥 hot auctions on dynadot.com homepage had included a great call to action domain, but it also included a questionable trademark domain, Directv.co.

upload_2020-5-11_15-11-12.png

I am not a lawyer, just a domainer trying to understand best practices. I'm wondering if Directv.co auction being promoted on dynadot.com homepage is a automated metric oversight (1 bid at $125?), or a manual or conscious decision to promote such a domain on your home page?

Adding to a possible negative outlook, is directv.co auction is being promoted, while the homepage is simultaneously promoting a flash .co sale. Some may notice a $125 bid for Directv.co and think to register similar .co domains in hopes of a profitable return. Is this a message Dynadot is OK delivering?

Per namePros rule 6.1.15.
6.1.15. Do not infringe on the intellectual property (“IP”) rights of another party, which includes typographical errors (“typos”) of globally-recognized trademarks. Selling IP or benefiting from globally-recognized IP of another party is strictly prohibited unless permitted by law (e.g., with their permission or it is a review website).

In 2018, I applauded (via nP thread) dropcatch.com for cancelling the auction of Pinterest.net due to legal issues. ** note to @Michael from namebio: per the cancellation email regarding Pinterest.net, it might warrant the removal of namebio including it as a reported sale from January of 2018.

According to namebio, Pinterest.org sold on namejet in 2017. Unknowing if that was/is related to the 2018 pinterest.net auction cancellation.

OnlineDomain.com had written about an auction house promoting trademark domains in 2018.

What is Dynadot.com's official position about auctioning trademark domains? Or specifically to this post, what is Dynadot.com's position on promoting trademark auctions on their home page?

Last edited:
•••
Hi @Dynadot -- I'm happy to see this thread come to fruition, and look forward to transparent ongoing discussion.

Today, upon going to Dynadot.com to initiate a domain transfer to yall, I noticed, 🔥 hot auctions on dynadot.com homepage had included a great call to action domain, but it also included a questionable trademark domain, Directv.co.

Show attachment 154032

I am not a lawyer, just a domainer trying to understand best practices. I'm wondering if Directv.co auction being promoted on dynadot.com is a automated metric oversight (1 bid at $125?), or a manual or conscious decision to promote such a domain on your home page?

In 2018, I apparently created a nP thread about dropcatch.com cancelling the auction of Pinterest.net due to legal issues. ** note to @Michael from namebio: per the cancellation email regarding Pinterest.net, it might warrant the removal of namebio including it as a reported sale from January of 2018.

According to namebio, Pinterest.org sold on namejet in 2017.

OnlineDomain.com had written about an auction house promoting trademark domains in 2018.

What is Dynadot.com's official position about auctioning trademark domains? Or specifically to this post, what is Dynadot.com's position on promoting trademark auctions on their home page?

Great question, despise registrars who turn the other cheek, even promote blatant tm domains

Potential Fix;
Add “report” button not just Dynado but all reg
Knowing Dyna history, prob jus slipped cracks. Doubt they even knew about it; great find.

Last edited:
•••

Show attachment 154032

I am not a lawyer, just a domainer trying to understand best practices. I'm wondering if Directv.co auction being promoted on dynadot.com homepage is a automated metric oversight (1 bid at $125?), or a manual or conscious decision to promote such a domain on your home page?

Adding to a possible negative outlook, is directv.co auction is being promoted, while the homepage is simultaneously promoting a flash .co sale. Some may notice a $125 bid for Directv.co and think to register similar .co domains in hopes of a profitable return. Is this a message Dynadot is OK delivering?

In 2018, I applauded (via nP thread) dropcatch.com for cancelling the auction of Pinterest.net due to legal issues. ** note to @Michael from namebio: per the cancellation email regarding Pinterest.net, it might warrant the removal of namebio including it as a reported sale from January of 2018.

According to namebio, Pinterest.org sold on namejet in 2017. Unknowing if that was/is related to the 2018 pinterest.net auction cancellation.

Great post and a great question. Your image has a domain I may or may not be bidding on and I'd appreciate it if it wasn't being shown along with the circled one.

Again the domain next to this circled one is terrible and I think nobody else should bid on it. But in saying that I think perhaps it can be removed from your image... please :xf.wink:

•••
Great post and a great question. Your image has a domain I may or may not be bidding on and I'd appreciate it if it wasn't being shown along with the circled one.

+1 for voicing your opinion!

Again the domain next to this circled one is terrible and I think nobody else should bid on it. But in saying that I think perhaps it can be removed from your image... please :xf.wink:

Fat chance that domain ends at $37. :xf.love:

And If it does, will it be delivered to the buyer, or renewed and returned to the registrant?

Also if it does, would that be a signal for more folks to start checking out dynadot expiring auctions? 💡

Last edited:
•••
+1 for voicing your opinion!

Fat chance that domain ends at $37. :xf.love:

And If it does, will it be delivered to the buyer, or renewed and returned to the registrant?

Also if it does, would that be a signal for more folks to start checking out dynadot expiring auctions? 💡

Nobody should check out Dynadot auctions. It's a complete waste of time.....

It's best to stick with GD expired auctions. I mean it's not like it's expensive or anything...

•••
Your image has a domain I may or may not be bidding on

Did you win it?

Out of a courtesy to you, I didn't place a bid.

Though, I noticed somebody had outbid the previously mentioned $37 price point.

Any idea what it closed at?

///

Meanwhile...

The single $125 bid for Directv.co has that auction prominently positioned on Dynadot.com homepage.
With 20+ hours remaining. After the initial bid was placed at 2020-05-10 | 10:02

Does that mean Dynadot is OK with this domain being featured on their home page, along side the .co flash sale banner?

A few thoughts
  • Why would anybody place a early high bid on a dynadot auction if that means dynadot is going to feature your bid/domain on their home page for added competition?
  • Is the person who bid $125 helping or hurting dynadot? Meaning, is it possible dynadot is getting trolled (perhaps by a bidder who doesn't intend to pay?) just to game Dynadot's auction promotion system, to troll Dynadot into featuring a potentially trademark domain on their home page along side their .co flash sale banner?
  • There could be a legit use to Direct V outside of Directv trademark? And dynadot doesn't wish to impose. As a result this allows dynadot to profit, possibly passing on all liability to the bidding parties / IP holders / appropriate legal routes?
Possible solution: Manually vet featured domains.

Last edited:
•••
Did you win it?

Out of a courtesy to you, I didn't place a bid.

That's very kind of you. I didn't win it but came very close. Dynadot is slowly becoming the new GD in terms of expired prices it seems.

•••
Hello everyone. My name is Hallie Cao. I'm on the Dynadot aftermarket team, so if you have any feedbacks or comments especially about our marketplace, please send them my way! :) I promise to look into every feedback as they play a vital role in letting us know what works and what doesn't. Thank you all for the comments and feedbacks thus far. I look forward to being an active participant here on Namepros.

To address the questions regarding directv.co - no, we do not actively promote trademark domains. Our hot auctions list is automated in our system and looks like this one slipped through. Thank you for letting us know. We have removed it from the featured list.

•••
Thank you my favourite Registrar for the Official thread. It would increase better experience for users.

A request please charge less for domain tasting.

Thanks

Hello @Sinbad. Is there a specific TLD you're thinking of?

•••
Dynadot an up comer registrar greatly respect

Problem; $500 min to payout from DD auctions

Hi @Samer. The $500 minimum only applies to payouts to non-US based Paypal accounts. I understand the amount seems high but we had to respond to Paypal's changes to fee structure back in 2018.

•••
Back