NameSilo

DROA must pay $6 per transfer away in settlement

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

aww

Established Member
Impact
Domain Registry of America is now required by the FTC to payout $6 for each person who transfers away from them:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/12/domainreg.htm
http://www.droa.com/news.asp

(ARIShost onced used DROA for domain registrations, so if you ever had a ARIShost domain you may want to check if you qualify for this refund - I had at least one)

The Federal Trade Commission has requested that a federal district court enjoin Domain Registry of America, Inc., an Internet domain name re-seller, from making misrepresentations in the marketing of its domain name registration services and require it to pay redress to consumers. According to the FTC, the company told consumers that their domain registrations were expiring, leading many consumers unwittingly to switch their domain name registrar. The company also allegedly did not disclose that it would charge a processing fee to consumers if their transfer request was not competed – for any reason – and failed to provide consumers refunds in a timely manner. Under the terms of the stipulated final order announced today, Domain Registry of America (DROA), based in Ontario, Canada, may be required to provide redress to up to 50,000 consumers, is prohibited from engaging in similar conduct in the future, and is subject to stringent monitoring by the Commission to ensure its compliance with the court order.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Yeh. hopefully that puts a nail in their coffin :)

•••
With their $25 per year price for domain registration, I think they are putting their own nails in the coffin. Anyone who is still paying double digits for domain registrations is just not even trying.

•••
Yeah, there are tons of registars out there that have affordable domain registration prices or at least decent services. :)

•••
thats why they did what they did , so they could get ppl to pay $25 . probably because nobody else was

•••
I still get some sales to big corporations that will ask to move from my sub $10 price registrars to Network Pollutions or Register.con during ownership transfers. I guess they just don't trust smaller operators or are just set in their ways.

•••
Some people might be led to believe the more you pay the better a product you are getting

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back