IT.COM

.Cam / .Com?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

j2630971

Impact
Hi,

Anyone knows why GoDaddy and its partners do not support the .cam extension?

Also, with platforms like X, do you see more adoption for short “.com mimicry domain extensions” related to media such as .cam? (Cars/cam Women/cam Houses/cam etc)

Thanks,

J

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think your barking up the wrong tree if you think cam is a potential typo for com, A and O are opposite ends of the qwerty keyboard for a start. And If a user misreads it your just giving traffic to the .com anyway

The .cam extension does have the potential for exploitative use or for click bait so services are at liberty to ban any extension, It's nothing to do with an totally unlikely typo/input

Last edited:
•••
TBH I wonder why it was approved. It's not a typo for .com like .co, .cm or .om can be, but it's definitely a lookalike, especially in some fonts. That gives it a huge potential to be used in scams, phishing etc.

•••
Yes I agree. Hence I've highlighted the Click-bait. It wasn't a well thought through approval. They should have stuck with just dot.camera

•••
.Cam has relevance. Especially for live feed video meant to be accessed by anyone online. A good example would be nature cam live feeds that allow people to watch birds or other animals. For example, an organization might use bluejay.cam for platforms that offer live feed Blue Jay bird monitoring. Let’s not get started on the other use-cases.

As for why GoDaddy doesn’t carry it (.cam), it’s possibly due to TLD politics. It doesn’t help that it starts with a ‘c’ and ends with a ‘m’. For them to offer an extension that’s one letter off from the extension many call “king”, it would signal an obvious truth - .com and .cam literally function the same way. Also, it could be a matter of profitability.

•••
.Cam has relevance. Especially for live feed video meant to be accessed by anyone online. A good example would be nature cam live feeds that allow people to watch birds or other animals. For example, an organization might use bluejay.cam for platforms that offer live feed Blue Jay bird monitoring. Let’s not get started on the other use-cases.
Yeah, I am sure there is a lot of money in bluejay cam websites. 🐦

We all know exactly why this extension exists.

As for why GoDaddy doesn’t carry it (.cam), it’s possibly due to TLD politics. It doesn’t help that it starts with a ‘c’ and ends with a ‘m’. For them to offer an extension that’s one letter off from the extension many call “king”, it would signal an obvious truth - .com and .cam literally function the same way. Also, it could be a matter of profitability.
It more than likely just comes down to limited shelf space and demand. There are a lot of obscure extensions that GoDaddy doesn't offer.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, I am sure there is a lot of money in bluejay cam websites. 🐦

We all know exactly why this extension exists.

It more than likely just comes down to limited shelf space and demand. There are a lot of obscure extensions that GoDaddy doesn't offer.

Brad
😄 Come on now Brad! You get the point. If you’re selling pizza, it doesn’t hurt to consider .pizza. Selling cars? Consider .cars. Doing something commercial? Consider .com. Government organizations use .gov and nobody in this forum ever talks about the irs using irs.com as its primary web address. We all know why. The point is .cam has a place in the sphere of naming. With billions of people in the world, there's no way .com could be the sole extension.

•••
😄 Come on now Brad! You get the point. If you’re selling pizza, it doesn’t hurt to consider .pizza. Selling cars? Consider .cars. Doing something commercial? Consider .com. Government organizations use .gov and nobody in this forum ever talks about the irs using irs.com as its primary web address. We all know why. The point is .cam has a place in the sphere of naming. With billions of people in the world, there's no way .com could be the sole extension.
People can choose what they want. It's a free market.

It's also a free market for GoDaddy, when they determine what to put on their shelf.

I guarantee a lot of extensions GoDaddy offers are paying for that shelf space.

No one is saying .COM should be the only extension. That is just a strawman argument.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Please refrain from criticizing any TLD/gTLD until you have conducted thorough research. And remember, never make assumptions solely based on the reinforcement of a member's claim on multiple Namepros posts. Always conduct your own research before making any assumptions.

1705950961927.png

https://www.nic.cam

Here are 10 potential advantages of using the .cam TLD:

1. Specificity: The .cam TLD is highly relevant for websites related to cameras, photography, or live streaming.
2. Branding: It can help create a unique and memorable brand identity for websites and businesses in the camera industry.
3. Availability: As a relatively new TLD, there may still be a wide range of available domain names to choose from.
4. Differentiation: Using .cam instead of the more common .com TLD can help websites stand out and differentiate themselves from competitors.
5. Targeted Audience: The .cam TLD can attract a specific audience interested in cameras or photography, potentially leading to more targeted traffic.
6. SEO Benefits: Having a relevant TLD like .cam can potentially improve search engine optimization (SEO) for camera-related keywords.
7. Industry Association: The .cam TLD can help establish credibility and association with the camera industry, building trust among users.
8. Short and Memorable: .cam is a concise and easy-to-remember TLD, making it easier for visitors to recall and revisit websites.
9. Global Appeal: The term "cam" is widely understood and used internationally, making it accessible to a global audience.
10. Creative Possibilities: The .cam TLD opens up creative opportunities for website names and branding, allowing for unique and catchy combinations.

Please note that the benefits mentioned are potential advantages and may vary depending on specific circumstances and the goals of the website or business.

Here are 10 examples of different types of websites that could use the .cam TLD, along with how the .com TLD could be used for these sites:

1. Real Estate: A website like "yourcityhomes.cam" could showcase available properties, while a .com domain like "yourcityhomes.com" could serve as a general information hub for the real estate agency.

2. Car Dealership: A website such as "bestdealsonwheels.cam" could feature a car dealership's inventory, while a .com domain like "bestdealsonwheels.com" could provide additional information about the dealership and its services.

3. Photography Services: A website like "capturedmoments.cam" could showcase a photographer's portfolio and services, while a .com domain like "capturedmoments.com" could offer additional information, client testimonials, and contact details.

4. Product Reviews: A website such as "techgadgetsreview.cam" could provide in-depth reviews and comparisons of various tech gadgets, while a .com domain like "techgadgetsreview.com" could offer additional articles, news, and updates in the tech industry.

5. Live Streaming: A website like "gamingevents.cam" could stream live gaming events and tournaments, while a .com domain like "gamingevents.com" could offer related news, forums, and community features.

6. Travel Vlogs: A website such as "wanderlust.cam" could host travel vlogs and videos, while a .com domain like "wanderlust.com" could provide travel guides, tips, and resources.

7. Virtual Tours: A website like "museumexplorer.cam" could offer virtual tours of museums and art galleries, while a .com domain like "museumexplorer.com" could provide additional information about the featured institutions and their exhibits.

8. Wildlife Photography: A website such as "naturesafari.cam" could showcase wildlife photography and conservation efforts, while a .com domain like "naturesafari.com" could offer educational resources and articles about wildlife.

9. Online Courses: A website like "learncoding.cam" could provide online coding courses and tutorials, while a .com domain like "learncoding.com" could offer additional resources, forums, and community support for learners.

10. Event Photography: A website such as "celebrationmoments.cam" could showcase event photography services for weddings and parties, while a .com domain like "celebrationmoments.com" could provide pricing information, testimonials, and a blog featuring event planning tips.

These examples demonstrate how the .cam TLD can be used to create specific and targeted websites, while the .com TLD can be utilized for broader information, branding, and online presence.

Here are a few websites with the .cam domain that I quickly found:

mentor.cam|poly.cam|vrsgroup.cam|realestate.cam|domain.cam|https://autokingz.cam|cursed.cam|faceter.cam/|swf.cam|anywhere.cam|see.cam|shuttercount.cam|otw.cam|aliva.cam|

In Firefox, follow these steps to load all the sites simultaneously:

1. Open Firefox and navigate to "Tools," then "Settings."
2. Go to the "Home" section and customize the Homepage and new Windows settings by selecting Custom URLs.
3. Paste a list of domain names, separating them with the "|" symbol.
4. Once you have made the changes, simply exit the page without the need to save.
5. Reopen Firefox, and all the pages from the list will automatically open in separate tabs.
6. The number of sites you can load simultaneously may depend on the capabilities of your computer. A more powerful computer will allow you to load more sites.
7. If any page(s) in the list fail to load, you can easily reload that specific page.

Please note that these instructions are specific to Firefox and may vary slightly depending on the version you are using.

•••
Great insight in the responses, thanks a lot. I’m glad GD offers this extension now. Have anyone tried it on Afternic? Last time I couldn’t even find the option to browse/buy any .cam domain. I see a great functional potential on this extension. In other words, hoard/invest/flip .com and develop/use .cam to target users interested in DIY, travel, learning and X (twitter) / Youtube related projects. Just my thoughts. Thank you for answering and sharing. J

•••
Be
Great insight in the responses, thanks a lot. I’m glad GD offers this extension now. Have anyone tried it on Afternic? Last time I couldn’t even find the option to browse/buy any .cam domain. I see a great functional potential on this extension. In other words, hoard/invest/flip .com and develop/use .cam to target users interested in DIY, travel, learning and X (twitter) / Youtube related projects. Just my thoughts. Thank you for answering and sharing. J

Its registry is nic.cam.

Sedo offers a wide range of high-quality keyword domains listed under the .cam extension, all available at very affordable prices. To begin your search, simply click on the magnifying glass icon without entering any keyword. Then, enter ".cam" in the search box located under the TLDs section. Uncheck all other options and select the "Buy Now" filter to explore the quality and low prices of .cam domains for sale.

However, it's important to keep in mind that while these domains have low prices, there is no guarantee that they will ever experience a significant increase in value like .ai and .com domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back