Dynadot

.ca Dot CA Discussion, Sales, and Showcase

NameSilo
Watch

whitebark

Part-Time ZombieVIP Member
Impact
Domains For Next MyID .ca Auction

These are the upcoming domains and reserve range for the next/current myid.ca auction:

666.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Acrobats.ca ($251 - $500)
affordabletrips.ca ($251 - $500)
AirportRentals.ca ($1001 - $1750)
albertabyowner.ca ($251 - $500)
BridalOnline.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Broke.ca ($5001 - $7500)
CanadianDrugStores.ca ($501 - $750)
CanadianTennis.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CarStore.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CheaperFlights.ca ($101 - $250)
CraftSales.ca ($501 - $750)
DiscountTours.ca ($1001 - $1750)
DivorceTips.ca ($501 - $750)
DownloadFreeRingtone(s).ca ($2 - $100)
DUILawyers.ca ($1001 - $1750)
EasyIncome.ca ($751 - $1000)
EcoVoyage.ca ($251 - $500)
EngineeringCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
Enlargement(s).ca ($751 - $1000)
ExoticHolidays.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FashionOnline.ca ($2501 - $3750)
Fertiliser.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FitnessJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
FlightSearch.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Freebies.ca ($7501 - $10000)
FreelancingJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
FurnitureLiquidation.ca ($751 - $1000)
GayBlog.ca ($251 - $500)
GayCanada.ca ($3751 - $5000)
HealthGuide.ca ($1001 - $1750)
HearingAids.ca ($7501 - $10000)
Hired.ca ($7501 - $10000)
HockeyGame.ca ($1001 - $1750)
homegardens.ca ($251 - $500)
HowToDance.ca ($501 - $750)
iBlogs.ca ($751 - $1000)
InternetHelp.ca ($251 - $500)
InternetPhones.ca ($1751 - $2500)
JFK.ca ($1001 - $1750)
JointVenture.ca ($2501 - $3750)
KitchenWare.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Lake-Ontario.ca ($1001 - $1750)
LogosOnline.ca ($501 - $750)
Mask.ca ($3751 - $5000)
MontrealLaser.ca ($251 - $500)
MontrealTravel.ca ($1001 - $1750)
MusicJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
NutritionJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
OakvilleFlowers.ca ($501 - $750)
OnlineCoupons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
OnlineDates.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineGaming.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineStock.ca ($751 - $1000)
OnlineStocks.ca ($751 - $1000)
OrganicStore.ca ($1751 - $2500)
PharmaceuticalCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
PizzaRestaurant(s).ca ($101 - $250)
PrivatePilots.ca ($501 - $750)
ProFootball.ca ($251 - $500)
QuebecHoneymoons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
RollerBlading.ca ($5001 - $7500)
SaskatoonRealtors.ca ($101 - $250)
SelfImprovement.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Sensual.ca ($10001 - $15000)
Shareware.ca ($15001 - $25000)
SingleChristian.ca ($251 - $500)
SmallJob.ca ($1001 - $1750)
SNN.ca ($251 - $500)
Snores.ca ($1751 - $2500)
SportsStore.ca ($501 - $750)
TechJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TeddyBear.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Theme.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TNN.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputer.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputers.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoDentists.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TravelAuction.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UniqueGifts.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UsedHouses.ca ($251 - $500)
UsedLaptops.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Valuable.ca ($501 - $750)
VancouverHomeForSale.ca ($101 - $250)
War.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Women.ca ($50000)

I can see a number of these getting picked up - there a few others I'm surprised they accepted the high reserve and can't see selling because of it. What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am thinking of doing an analysis, but don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done this. Do you know if an analysis has been done on the exact same words that sold in .ca and in .com and studies the range of factors between the two prices. I know issues since the dates will be different, but still thought would be interesting to see if, e.g., .ca sells at between 1/12 and 1/3 of com (those are just made up factors at this point).

•••
Congrats. I especially like GetFunding, SelfDriven and BestGift - freeways not so much. BestGift would be superb for a Canadian site that provides a service with gift suggestions after you enter keywords, with a uniquely Canadian flavour. GetFunding would work great for either crowd funding site, a startup exchange funding, or a loan aggregator, among others. I am sure you thought of all these, but ideas that I had right off.
100% agreed with the potential use-case for bestgifts. I've thought of doing the same in more general terms with bests(.)ca. Develop an aggregation platform for the best of any given product/service in Canada.

There's strong affiliate earnings potential when promoting products on a reputable platform. Just a thought!

Last edited:
•••
The question is why would anyone want justice.on.ca ?
The third level subdomains are remnants of the past. Now new registrations are frozen. Before 2001 you had to be federally incorporated to register directly under .ca, so a number of businesses had to register at the third level, or get the agreement of all the third level domain holders.
The biggest third levels are unsurprisingly .qc.ca and on.ca.
I have some stats to share :)

Of course, when these third level domains expire, they can 'unlock' the .ca counterpart - depending on whether there are other third level domains remaining :)
In the past, acquiring third level domains was a backdoor to acquiring the .ca equivalent :) I suppose you can still do it.

Also, there are fourth level registrations in .ca, about 1000 from the top of my head. .us also has a lot of third and fourth level domains for historical reasons. Examples: .k12.us or .fed.us.

•••
The third level subdomains are remnants of the past. Now new registrations are frozen. Before 2001 you had to be federally incorporated to register directly under .ca, so a number of businesses had to register at the third level, or get the agreement of all the third level domain holders.
I have some stats to share :)

Of course, when these third level domains expire, they can 'unlock' the .ca counterpart - depending on whether there are other third level domains remaining :)
In the past, acquiring third level domains was a backdoor to acquiring the .ca equivalent :) I suppose you can still do it.

Also, there are fourth level registrations in .ca, about 1000 from the top of my head. .us also has a lot of third and fourth level domains for historical reasons. Examples: .k12.us or .fed.us.

Very informative, thank you very much (y)

So justice.on.ca was someone else still able to register justice.qc.ca and if so who will get the rights to justice.ca?

•••
•••
I am thinking of doing an analysis, but don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done this. Do you know if an analysis has been done on the exact same words that sold in .ca and in .com and studies the range of factors between the two prices. I know issues since the dates will be different, but still thought would be interesting to see if, e.g., .ca sells at between 1/12 and 1/3 of com (those are just made up factors at this point).

I suspect you will find 1/60 to 1/75, in which case it might be wise not to publish.

•••
•••
The question is why would anyone want justice.on.ca ?

A little bit self limiting!

I see lots of bc.ca subdomains.
Schools, non profit and even a well estabished vineyard
https://www.summerhill.bc.ca/
One advantage, very GEO specific... for instance, if summerhill.bc.ca was mine, develop site and submit to "Google Maps/Yellow pages/etc" and get "Google First page" love ...way easier than trying to rank for something like "BC wineries"/etc

Note they didn't add to Google maps
https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1KMZB_enCA780CA780&ei=t1DJWrCbNaPXjwTC56GoAQ&q=google+maps+/www.summerhill.bc.ca&oq=google+maps+/www.summerhill.bc.ca&gs_l=psy-ab.12...18447.18447.0.20823.1.1.0.0.0.0.131.131.0j1.1.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.0KIW_Qv6RPY

•••
Lover Summerhill!!! Penticton/K-Town/Osoyoos ... Great part of Canada!
I have "OsoyoosBC.ca"
Don't want to renew it.PM me an offer.

•••
Very informative, thank you very much (y)

So justice.on.ca was someone else still able to register justice.qc.ca and if so who will get the rights to justice.ca?
Just by a quick glance at the link Kate provided, looks like they would get CIRA's blessing as long as there is agreement between all involved municipal registrants. A nice, democratic solution :) Nothing on there about second level locked names being released, it would be interesting to see to whom first priority would be awarded if it were to happen.

•••

I have experienced this several times while looking for names for companies, but is there any way to find out which third-level extension is using it?

I just get the usual: "01114 The domain name provided conflicts with at least one other registered domain name and as a result is not available for registration (e.g. xyz.ca conflicts with xyz.on.ca)." error without any way to determine which, or how many, other registrants there are.

Last edited:
•••
I guess you have to check the whois for each possible third level domain, but you have only 14 :)
  1. .ab.ca Alberta
  2. .bc.ca British Columbia
  3. .mb.ca Manitoba
  4. .nb.ca New Brunswick
  5. .nf.ca Newfoundland
  6. .nl.ca Newfoundland and Labrador
  7. .ns.ca Nova Scotia
  8. .nt.ca Northwest Territories
  9. .nu.ca Nunavut
  10. .on.ca Ontario
  11. .pe.ca Prince Edward Island
  12. .qc.ca Quebec
  13. .sk.ca Saskatchewan
  14. .yk.ca Yukon

•••
I have experienced this several times while looking for names for companies, but is there any way to find out which third-level extension is using it?
Would certainly save some effort- but I like how CIRA respects .ca's registrants privacy overall..

•••
Would certainly save some effort- but I like how CIRA respects .ca's registrants privacy overall..

That's not privacy, it's obfuscation.

Even discounting the fact that companies are not auto-privacy protected, I am simply asking which EXTENSION is using it, not the person or company.

i.e. I want to buy xyz.ca, but it's already taken by a 3rd-level - so which one? is it .ON, .BC, whatever? And it gets worse as I believe municipalities also got into the act at 4th level.

•••
I guess you have to check the whois for each possible third level domain, but you have only 14 :)
  1. .ab.ca Alberta
  2. .bc.ca British Columbia
  3. .mb.ca Manitoba
  4. .nb.ca New Brunswick
  5. .nf.ca Newfoundland
  6. .nl.ca Newfoundland and Labrador
  7. .ns.ca Nova Scotia
  8. .nt.ca Northwest Territories
  9. .nu.ca Nunavut
  10. .on.ca Ontario
  11. .pe.ca Prince Edward Island
  12. .qc.ca Quebec
  13. .sk.ca Saskatchewan
  14. .yk.ca Yukon

I am not sure that covers it all, as I am almost certain that 4th level exists with some departments and municipalities.

•••
I am not sure that covers it all, as I am almost certain that 4th level exists with some departments and municipalities.

Not sure if this helps but..

"The Canadian registry operations once favoured fourth-level names (such as city.toronto.on.ca) for purely local entities or third-level names for entities operating solely within one province. Federally incorporated companies could have a .ca domain, while provincially incorporated companies required the letters of their province, like .mb.ca. Only an entity with presence in two or more provinces was typically registered directly under .ca; this complex structure (and the long delays in getting .ca registration) caused many Canadian entities to favour the .com, .org and .net registrations, despite the then-higher cost...."

https://www.nominate.com/on.ca.shtml
also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.ca#Third-level_(provincial)_and_fourth-level_(municipal)_domains

Last edited:
•••
I suspect you will find 1/60 to 1/75, in which case it might be wise not to publish.

Wow, do you really think it is that low? I would have guessed like maybe 1/10 to 1/20 without looking into the exact data.

A side issue would be to find that odd name that sold for more in .ca than in .com. I am sure a few exist.

•••
Wow, do you really think it is that low? I would have guessed like maybe 1/10 to 1/20 without looking into the exact data.

A side issue would be to find that odd name that sold for more in .ca than in .com. I am sure a few exist.

I think its going to be pretty low. I am interested in your findings though. It would be nice to be able to take some reliable data and push for some more marketing and awareness through CIRA.

•••
•••
•••
Just an FYI that we've updated our .CA TBR Picks for April 11:

http://www.domainrecap.com/2018/picks/ca-to-be-released-tbr-weekly-picks-for-april-11/

Enjoy, and hopefully you can find something interesting.

Dang!!! Great list... But I’m torn...

On the one hand it’s very nice of you to do this. But on the other hand, I had researched and put together a list of my own. But why bother if you publicize one before the drop date?

No chance of flying under the radar and picking one up now.... :(

I guess the real winners now will be the drop catch services. 👎🏻

I think it would be awesome if you posted your list 5-15min AFTER the names were dropped... that way anybody who had done the research for themselves would have an opportunity to possibly grab a name and benefit from their own hard work...And your list would benefit those who aren’t willing to put the work in and enjoy feeding on scraps.

Certainly do appreciate the hard work you’re putting into this though...just conflicted on the release of it...

Cheers!

Last edited:
•••
I think it would be awesome if you posted your list 5-15min AFTER the names were dropped...

While I appreciate the comments, and as I pick up a few .CA drops from time to time, have had similar feelings, there would really be absolutely no reason to post a TBR Picks list *after* the TBR run.

It would be like posting a Super Bowl prediction 5-15 minutes after the game.

•••
While I appreciate the comments, and as I pick up a few .CA drops from time to time, have had similar feelings, there would really be absolutely no reason to post a TBR Picks list *after* the TBR run.

It would be like posting a Super Bowl prediction 5-15 minutes after the game.

Hmmm.... I think it’s quite a bit different than posting Super Bowl predictions after the game.

You aren’t posting a list of predictions...you’re posting a list of actual events that will be occurring.

Again, your site looks great... you obviously put in a lot of time and hard work and it shows! Also, I’m sure it’s extremely helpful to many people. :)

Like I say...A cheat sheet is awesome for the lazy domainer. I’m thinking that by publishing the list prior to drop, it definitely broadens the amount of people that may be shooting for the same name which only benefits the dropcatch companies... any serious domainer will spend the time and find these gems on their own. There still may be competition, and perhaps a drop catch service would be the only way to acquire them, but perhaps the price would not go as high at auction because less people will be bidding on it or another possibility is that you might be able to get a sweet name without a drop catch service... just fly under the radar and grab it because it wasn’t publicized.

Nothing wrong with publishing your list five minutes after drop time. It would still be a great service to the lazy domainer’s. They could pick up the scraps that the serious domainer‘s who did a bit of work and put some time in either missed or didn’t want.

It would make total sense if you offered a drop catch service on your site... I would completely understand the business move of publishing your lists...And I’m sure you would make even more money than whatever your revenue is from advertisements.

Again, I am not dissing your site at all. I think your site is great. 👍🏻
It potentially costs me more money... but....well.... I’ll just leave it at that.

Cheers!
PS... you should really try to get a drop catch service going straight from your site.👍🏻

Last edited:
•••
PS... you should really try to get a drop catch service going straight from your site.👍🏻

Definitely, but this type of thing is not easy, and there is so much belt-tightening right now that the only thing selling are new hole punchers. I would love to link up with a dropcatcher for .CA, but I can't allot the time to set up as a registrar and no one has inquired as to a partnership or sponsorship.

Lots of stuff going on with me right now too, tons of work, selling the house and moving to a snazzy new one, kids got into IB, wife is buying another office (guess who does free IT on weekends?), so by June-July I should be able to devote more time to the site.

Last edited:
•••
No love. :(

Anybody here have any luck?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back