NameSilo

.ca Dot CA Discussion, Sales, and Showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

whitebark

Part-Time ZombieVIP Member
Impact
Domains For Next MyID .ca Auction

These are the upcoming domains and reserve range for the next/current myid.ca auction:

666.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Acrobats.ca ($251 - $500)
affordabletrips.ca ($251 - $500)
AirportRentals.ca ($1001 - $1750)
albertabyowner.ca ($251 - $500)
BridalOnline.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Broke.ca ($5001 - $7500)
CanadianDrugStores.ca ($501 - $750)
CanadianTennis.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CarStore.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CheaperFlights.ca ($101 - $250)
CraftSales.ca ($501 - $750)
DiscountTours.ca ($1001 - $1750)
DivorceTips.ca ($501 - $750)
DownloadFreeRingtone(s).ca ($2 - $100)
DUILawyers.ca ($1001 - $1750)
EasyIncome.ca ($751 - $1000)
EcoVoyage.ca ($251 - $500)
EngineeringCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
Enlargement(s).ca ($751 - $1000)
ExoticHolidays.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FashionOnline.ca ($2501 - $3750)
Fertiliser.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FitnessJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
FlightSearch.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Freebies.ca ($7501 - $10000)
FreelancingJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
FurnitureLiquidation.ca ($751 - $1000)
GayBlog.ca ($251 - $500)
GayCanada.ca ($3751 - $5000)
HealthGuide.ca ($1001 - $1750)
HearingAids.ca ($7501 - $10000)
Hired.ca ($7501 - $10000)
HockeyGame.ca ($1001 - $1750)
homegardens.ca ($251 - $500)
HowToDance.ca ($501 - $750)
iBlogs.ca ($751 - $1000)
InternetHelp.ca ($251 - $500)
InternetPhones.ca ($1751 - $2500)
JFK.ca ($1001 - $1750)
JointVenture.ca ($2501 - $3750)
KitchenWare.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Lake-Ontario.ca ($1001 - $1750)
LogosOnline.ca ($501 - $750)
Mask.ca ($3751 - $5000)
MontrealLaser.ca ($251 - $500)
MontrealTravel.ca ($1001 - $1750)
MusicJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
NutritionJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
OakvilleFlowers.ca ($501 - $750)
OnlineCoupons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
OnlineDates.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineGaming.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineStock.ca ($751 - $1000)
OnlineStocks.ca ($751 - $1000)
OrganicStore.ca ($1751 - $2500)
PharmaceuticalCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
PizzaRestaurant(s).ca ($101 - $250)
PrivatePilots.ca ($501 - $750)
ProFootball.ca ($251 - $500)
QuebecHoneymoons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
RollerBlading.ca ($5001 - $7500)
SaskatoonRealtors.ca ($101 - $250)
SelfImprovement.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Sensual.ca ($10001 - $15000)
Shareware.ca ($15001 - $25000)
SingleChristian.ca ($251 - $500)
SmallJob.ca ($1001 - $1750)
SNN.ca ($251 - $500)
Snores.ca ($1751 - $2500)
SportsStore.ca ($501 - $750)
TechJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TeddyBear.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Theme.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TNN.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputer.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputers.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoDentists.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TravelAuction.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UniqueGifts.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UsedHouses.ca ($251 - $500)
UsedLaptops.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Valuable.ca ($501 - $750)
VancouverHomeForSale.ca ($101 - $250)
War.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Women.ca ($50000)

I can see a number of these getting picked up - there a few others I'm surprised they accepted the high reserve and can't see selling because of it. What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Picked up pure(dot)ca today

Many many months of negotiations to land this one

•••
Received a legit $100K offer on an LLL.ca today. I countered. We'll see. It's a good one, so I'm hesitant to sell even at that price. If I do, hopefully there's no NDA as I would probably be willing to report it.

•••
Hi;

This is Bulent from SiberName. I was informed about this forum by CIRA. I would like to clarify that we have placed back the Auth-Code link to the user area.

The employees were informed not to ask for any fee for the Auth-Code request. Anyone with the issues can contact me directly;

I am very sorry for this inconvenience caused;

Kind Regards;

Bulent Turkoglu

•••
tumblr_p6kiqlxFbg1vz2kd0o1_250.png

•••
I Sold Bienvenidos/Bienvenido.ca for low ... x,xxx the other day. needed the $

and that has been the first sale in a long time.

•••
Agreed, but I don't think my .CA portfolio at that point yet, and there is no way you can pick up a cheap .CA and sell it for 4-5 figures in under a year, like you can sometimes with .COM.

Never say never. I picked up a 1-word .ca in TBR auction for under $500 in June 2016. Sold it for low 6-figures in under 2 years.

I've picked up MANY .ca drops for < $100 and sold for 4 and 5 figures. I can think of one last year that I bought uncontested in a drop and sold for $7K within a couple weeks. And it wasn't the previous owner either! Just a random inquiry - I don't even think they realized I had just registered the domain at all.

I picked up another 1-word .ca for about $2K by contacting the owner directly in 2018 - now in negotiations for another 6 figure sale already. Probably won't go through, but it will eventually make a very healthy profit. BTW - bought this one from the same guy MapleDots also bought from recently. Maple is lucky - I dropped the ball and didn't buy one particular domain right away due to other distractions at the time... That's what I get for not feeling any urgency to close the deal. I really didn't expect Maple or anyone else to discover it... My loss...

The biggest thing to realize is that you'll never make a really big sale unless you can say no to really big offers. And sometimes it takes a big gamble to make big money. I once bought a premium 2-word .ca for low 6-figures only to sell it a few years later for above mid 6-figures. But it took years of inquiries and offers - the entire time I stuck to my price - and they eventually paid it. Unfortunately - you've gotta gamble and be willing to lose. That's the really hard part and obviously sometimes you've just gotta take the easy money and run if your situation warrants it. Unless you feel _really_ good about your buyer having deep pockets and being more emotionally invested in your domain than they probably should be - that's when you can maybe hold on for the really big sales.

I think the "selling enough to renew and survive while slowly upgrading" mentality is the correct one for most people. Maple is probably an exception with a bankroll to take some risk and pay bigger money for better domains. Even with a large portfolio you can go years without really big sales. But when you do hit a good streak, it can pay for years of renewals and plenty of portfolio building in one shot.

Speaking of that, I'd also highly recommend to anyone that scores a big sale to renew your entire portfolio for a year or more out if you can, especially the ones you really know you want to keep long term. It'll partially offset the big sale for tax purposes and you won't have to sweat it if the next year or two is lean on sales.

And when you're setting prices, be sure to set your price high enough that you can easily replace the domain you sold with a better one. I will even use that as an argument in justifying my price. I'll tell them I'm an investor and I now have to take this sale and be able to purchase an even better domain with it for this whole transaction to be worthwhile. Once I even told the potential buyer of my domain the exact domain that I wanted to buy, how much the seller wanted and flatly said that's the price I need - no negotiations. I said "You'll get what you want, I'll get what I want, then we're all happy." And it worked.

Anyways, I guess that is enough rambling unsolicited advice for today :)

•••
•••
Sold one via BIN listing; OceanBreeze ($1288 USD)

•••

If you want to buy domains for development in Canada, then it's a good place to look, but as for investment, buying at or near the top-end of the scale is really the only way to make consistent $$$ in .CA.

For example, I owned less than 20 domains at MyID, but these are all premium wins I had to fight for and pay real money at auction but I've sold 4 of them over the last 12 months. The STR and ROI is very high on these.

My midrange wins have a much lower STR and lower prices/ROI, while my $20 "lottery tickets" are a waste of money and are probably breaking even, so I plan to cull the losers out this year, due to the CIRA price increase.

It's pretty obvious the big money and big demand is almost entirely centered on the big .CA domains, even though a lot of my "lottery tickets" are 1-words, first/last names, and compound words that would sell for serious money in .COM.

It's just a totally different market - like night and day due to the significant gap in the number of potential buyers. Here's a great stat: Canada's population is equivalent to 0.48% of the total world population.

Due to this, I am "raising the bar" and concentrating far more on the top 0.5% of the ".CA expired domains that would sell in .COM", while still taking a few chances on some tweeners.

Last edited:
•••
Just completed a sale for TimberCraft.ca it was back and forth over months and I kept refusing the lowball offers. I did come down a bit but I was able to get 6x his highest previous offer. im happy at least and I think he now has a great business name.

•••
In other news, did you guys hear that George Kirikos recently discovered the sale of Gold.ca from 2008?
Even though it was 12 years ago, that was still a great price for the buyer. I don’t think there is anyone here that would sell it for that cheap now.

•••
The question is why would anyone want justice.on.ca ?
The third level subdomains are remnants of the past. Now new registrations are frozen. Before 2001 you had to be federally incorporated to register directly under .ca, so a number of businesses had to register at the third level, or get the agreement of all the third level domain holders.
The biggest third levels are unsurprisingly .qc.ca and on.ca.
I have some stats to share :)

Of course, when these third level domains expire, they can 'unlock' the .ca counterpart - depending on whether there are other third level domains remaining :)
In the past, acquiring third level domains was a backdoor to acquiring the .ca equivalent :) I suppose you can still do it.

Also, there are fourth level registrations in .ca, about 1000 from the top of my head. .us also has a lot of third and fourth level domains for historical reasons. Examples: .k12.us or .fed.us.

•••
FYI - I'm a little freaked out over a security issue I just discovered at Sibername. I had maybe 40 domains or so over there from TBR's I've won. I went to move a couple and noticed that almost ALL my domains had the same exact effing auth code. WTF? How is that possible? I thought there must be some mistake, that my browser was caching the auth code or something. But no, I was able to successfully transfer them all out, using the SAME EXACT auth code for almost all of them. In fact I was so freaked out i transferred everything out!

SO... I'm just posting this so everyone knows. If you're selling a domain, make sure your names aren't all sharing the same exact auth code too. Because if you give it out to transfer one domain, the other person could actually transfer out ALL of the others too (providing they knew what other domains you had at Sibername, which isn't that far of a stretch to figure out in some cases)....

FYI - I did notify sibername of the issue too.

Last edited:
•••
Speaking of seeing our domains get developed, this might be interesting. Anyone have any past domain sales that are now operated by a big company that they'd like to share? I always kinda like seeing my old domain names flash on the TV screen or in print or whatever. It's kinda like being proud of your children :)

I suppose I should've started it off. The majority of Canada has probably been in the store or at the least, walked right by one. TheSource.ca.

•••
I sold a domain on Kijiji yesterday

Nice sale, smooth sailing

Here is a trick I used.....

I advertised the domain in the home area of the company I was targeting (not in my home area).
Had it on Kijiji for almost a year (8 months) and the company I was targeting took the bait.

Last edited:
•••
It looks like it was a Chinese person/company who previously bought it for 8,800 USD (as per GD valuation tool). It makes me wonder if CIRA took it away from them for not meeting the presence requirement:

It used to be that domains revoked due to RIVs were dropped real time, not through TBR, meaning they would drop any time of day when some CIRA employee got around to it deleting it. I don't know if that has changed, but I HOPE they go through TBR now. Can anyone confirm that??

Wanna hear a crazy story?

When CIRA had manual control over when they deleted a RIV domain, they could influence who might be able to re-register it, as obviously knowing the second it drops would be a HUGE advantage to registering it. Whether that insider advantage was ever used for personal gain by CIRA employees, I won't try and guess. I do know absolutely positively 100% that at least one once, CIRA did try to help a registrant re-register a domain as they were deleting it from the registry. And they were right to do so. They were RIV'ing a domain on a technicality due to a complaint from a highly malicious domainer/trademark troll. So the situation was that a domain was registered to a company name, lets say it was ABC Inc. Lets say this corporation was registered provincially in Ontario. They let their Ontario corporate registration lapse by not filing their annual corporate return on time. The malicious piece-of-shit dude then registered that same corporation name federally - thus blocking the Ontario corporation from being renewed. CIRA told the domain owner that he must legally prove he was "ABC Inc" before they would give him control of the domain, because this was the standard procedure of a RIV. When he explained why he couldn't, CIRA sympathized, but didn't want to break their standard protocol, so they felt that the simple fix was to simply go through with the RIV, but help the legit guy re-register it with the updated registrant information. Sounds great, right??

Unfortunately, an unrelated 3rd party had noticed that the domain was in a pending delete status despite it not being expired - thus tipping him off that it might be deleting due to a RIV any moment. The 3rd party was then able to register the domain while CIRA was on the phone with the original registrant saying, OK, quick register it now.... Once CIRA realized it was registered legit by the 3rd party, there was nothing more they could do and didn't want to make a bad situation worse (and more public) by meddling any more. Basically, the legit owner got fucked hard by CIRA, but they could just say that well, we tried, but we followed protocol.

So if RIV's do go through TBR, it would keep CIRA's fingers out of sticky situations like that and obviously much fairer. In this case, they were absolutely doing the right thing. But I'm not foolish enough to think that insider information was _never_ used by CIRA employees to scoop up valuable RIV'd domains. Its just human nature. I might have done the same. So, that is why I truly hope that all deleted domains go through TBR now days!!

I do know that currently, domains are occasionally returned to TBR a week or two after being dropped in TBR. So when a registrant doesn't pay the registrar, or if the registrar doesn't assign a valid contact in time (like if they forgot to), then it goes back into TBR. That has happened several times in the past year that I'm aware of.

Pool made this mistake several times for me back when they were still in the TBR game. I'd win a domain, but they were notoriously slow at assigning my domains to my Rebel account and I had to bug them through support to do it after each successful registration. And occasionally one would get lost this way. After I caught on that this was occasionally happening, I blew a gasket (because they had charged my credit card yet I hadn't always received the domain). I think it was the domain name Revolver.ca that I first noticed it on, because I was specifically buying it as a gift for a domainer friend that owns the Revolver Coffee shop in Vancouver. So I thought I had won it through pool, then freaked when I saw it back in Pending Delete/TBR status. It went through TBR again 3 weeks later. Luckily I re-caught the domain through another registrar...

Anyways, there are two good domainer stories for ya today.

•••
If you haven't read this interview, or don't know who Nat Cohen is, this is worth a read. He is the sole reason I got into domains and have known him for almost 20 years now.

https://ggrg.com/interview-nat-cohen/

•••
Sold tonal.ca at Sedo for $5,000 US!

•••
With all the talk of 420 related .ca domains my latest could qualify; HolySmokes.ca

I like .ca names and own a bunch of them. My 3 favourite are;

CraftBeer, FoodTrucks and Drones

•••
Just completed the sale of GoodFoot.ca to GoodFootDelivery.com.

Sold for $414 CAD (or approx. $300 USD).

I planned on holding out for more, but I picked up the name just last month and I was happy to make a quick sale with good ROI.

Cheers! :)

•••
I am moving all my names away from godaddy, I can get better deals at multiple registrars, with out paying the domains club fees, I persoanlly find godaddy the king of upsales

•••
be careful of godaddy, they are the king of upsells, I am moving all my domains away and will never go back, Hexonet, Canspace, Uniregistry are all better pricing, you only get godaddys better pricing if you join there domain club at @$160 a year, but you can walk in off the street at a few registrars and get the same or better pricing with out buying into any "club" if your not int he club you pay $19.99 renewals.

You can always negotiate your renewal pricing as well, you will have more negotiating power if you renew a bunch at the same time, but talk to someone with some pull not the live chat or basic support talk to your account rep.

and keep your eye's open for other registrars that offer a discount to transfer your domains to them, and just rotate your domains around. If you find a great deal for transfers ie $2.99 or there abouts think about moving your whole portfolio, you will at one year on the existing expiry date and save at least $6 on renewals on a 1000 names thats $6k, just a thought.

but I will not be using godaddy unless it is a condition of a sale or they have a blow out sale on a .co or gtld

Dan

•••
Saw this on dnjournal

Remix.ca $4,999 Sedo goes to developed site.

Reg 2002

•••
godaddy has so many stipulations and restrictions, based on your previous purchases, only one domain at that price, must be a 2 yr reg so $2.99 for the first year and then $19.00 for the second year, or if you ate an egg salad sandwich on Tuesday while wearing a red sweater under a full moon then you are eligible for the discount.

•••
Sorry, was gone a bit, was quite busy and closed a massive business deal for me.
I sold an online store and two domains for a re-launch (a .ca & a .com set).
I will retain a 10% equity in the newly formed company.

Biggest deal I ever did and it involved intense negotiation to close.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back