IT.COM

Don't be scared if Dotster wants your seller/buyer's Security Question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jv1999

Hopeless Fighter: Desolate Knight of Exo TowersTop Member
Impact
Moving names between Dotster accounts IS possible without any security question answer baloney. you don't have to extort your buyer/seller for their security info!

You just need to force the issue and be adamant that you want to move the domain, and have them remove the domain from your account so that the other account holder can click on "Add Domains."

Some of the reps will really try to get you to be an extortionist, but that's okay! Just keep up your good values and morals and good outcomes will come!

Here's an example of my recent scary CS scenario that turned out well:

Varun P

Hello Justin, My name is Varun. How are you today?

9:36:26 AM

Varun P

I am sorry for the wait time.

9:36:26 AM

Varun P

I am sorry for the wait time.

9:37:05 AM

Justin

hi

9:37:07 AM

Justin

sorry

9:37:12 AM

Justin

my secret answer is CENSORED

9:37:33 AM

Varun P

Thank you for the authentication.

9:37:34 AM

Varun P

How can I help you today?

9:37:39 AM

Justin

I want to move my domain: Disco....com to Dotster account: CENSORED

9:37:55 AM

Justin

I don't know their secret answer, but please add domain to their account and remove from mine thanks

9:39:07 AM

Varun P

Justin, without authenticating the account owner, I do not have the permissions to make any changes to our customers account.

9:39:16 AM

Varun P

Do you have the login details of the another account?

9:39:43 AM

Justin

Dotster Details:

Censored

offcensored.com

9:39:56 AM

Justin

It's ok if you can't move it. They will log in and click on "Add Domains"

9:40:59 AM

Varun P

Since the domain is already associated with another account, they will not be able to add the same domain name in another account.

9:41:43 AM

Justin

wait

9:41:47 AM

Justin

what do you mean?

9:42:40 AM

Varun P

Disco...com domain is already associated with another account.

9:42:50 AM

Justin

Yes it's in my account.

9:42:54 AM

Justin

I want to move it to their account.

9:44:55 AM

Varun P

Okay. In order to authenticate your account ownership, could you please verify for me the answer to the Security Question: What is the name of your first pet?

9:45:29 AM

Justin

I don't know the answer to his security question

9:46:31 AM

Justin

can you remove dsciooo..com from my account and have it pending add to their account. They can then manually log in and click on "Add Domain"

9:47:10 AM

Varun P

Oh Okay. You can contact the another account owner and get back to us with the security answer or you can give you security question to another account owner and inform them to get back to us to move the domain name.

9:47:56 AM

Justin

Wait wait wait

9:48:11 AM

Justin

When I did this before with customer support, they were able to remove the domain from my account, and have it pending added to their account

9:48:25 AM

Justin

Then the other account holder just had to log in and click on "Add Domains" and it worked...

9:48:57 AM

Varun P

Yes. I can remove the domain from your end.

9:49:04 AM

Justin

Ok thank you

9:49:11 AM

Justin

I will tell them to log in and add domain

9:49:39 AM

Varun P

Oh Okay. That you can do.

9:49:52 AM

Varun P

I have removed Dscioo...com domain from your account

9:50:13 AM

Justin

Ok thank you

9:51:16 AM

Varun P

You're welcome, Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

9:53:44 AM

Justin

no thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
good job jv i been arguing with them for the past 2 days giving out your security info isn't a good idea.

we need to be persistent and not let them walk all over us

•••
If I understand this correctly, in order to push a domain to another Dotster account, you have to know their security questions answer? That's scary if that's the case.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I have to ask, what idiot came up with that ingenious idea?

•••
If I understand this correctly, in order to push a domain to another Dotster account, you have to know their security questions answer? That's scary if that's the case.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I have to ask, what idiot came up with that ingenious idea?

yeah that's what they are asking for but if you push hard enough u can get them to remove from your a account and add to another with out the receiver giving up there security info

•••
two things:

1: buyer can set temp sec question for you. then change it again after push.
2: its all temporary move fucntional removal
to improve and fix it
it had bugs.
let's hope its back soon.
cheers

•••
Where exactly does the domain go when we ask them to remove it from our account? I am just wondering if anyone could claim it before the buyer adds it to his account.

•••
at korganian, somewhere within the registrar.. it's not available for others to register or anything

Last edited:
•••
I had several arguments with the registrars because of this. Netfirms, Dotster, Domain.com and their sister sites are all doing this.

1- Rep: Ask the person the secret answer to authenticate the buyer's account.
I told them they are out of their minds.. the secret question answer is often a very personal answer. Plus the person may have used that answer in other places too for security.
Plus I told them I wouldn't give a stranger that word, why would a stranger give that answer to me.

2- Then the rep goes, well if you have access to their account, you can do this and that..
Again I told them are telling me, a stranger is going to give me full access to their account, ARE YOU CRAZY??

Then after much argument, they said , ok we will "REMOVE" the name from your account but you have to give me the new owner's username to do so. (This supposedly only gives access to the new buyer the option to add the name in their profile)

The buyer needs to go in their profile, click on "add existing" and put the name and click on "add". The name will then be in their profile.

This procedure exists but 99.9% of the reps claim that it doesn't or are not aware of it. Like jv1999 said, you have to be INSISTING, INSISTING, INSISTING. They finally put you on hold and come back and said, we can do that.

**** plus let's say you gave the secret answer to your security question, if you didn't have time to change it or forgot, that person can just authenticate your account now and not only take the same names, but technically check the whois info and request to take any other name that is in your portfolio that happens to be registered there..... ABSOLUTELY INSANE PROCEDURE!

Last edited:
•••
I had several arguments with the registrars because of this. Netfirms, Dotster, Domain.com and their sister sites are all doing this.

1- Rep: Ask the person the secret answer to authenticate the buyer's account.
I told them they are out of their minds.. the secret question answer is often a very personal answer. Plus the person may have used that answer in other places too for security.
Plus I told them I wouldn't give a stranger that word, why would a stranger give that answer to me.

2- Then the rep goes, well if you have access to their account, you can do this and that..
Again I told them are telling me, a stranger is going to give me full access to their account, ARE YOU CRAZY??

Then after much argument, they said , ok we will "REMOVE" the name from your account but you have to give me the new owner's username to do so. (This supposedly only gives access to the new buyer the option to add the name in their profile)

The buyer needs to go in their profile, click on "add existing" and put the name and click on "add". The name will then be in their profile.

This procedure exists but 99.9% of the reps claim that it doesn't or are not aware of it. Like jv1999 said, you have to be INSISTING, INSISTING, INSISTING. They finally put you on hold and come back and said, we can do that.

**** plus let's say you gave the secret answer to your security question, if you didn't have time to change it or forgot, that person can just authenticate your account now and not only take the same names, but technically check the whois info and request to take any other name that is in your portfolio that happens to be registered there..... ABSOLUTELY INSANE PROCEDURE!

euh well.. if you forget to change it then I guess that is no longer anybody else's problem but yours.. I guess in life its best not to forget to do things which are important to you.

and yes, I agree ... insane procedure.. but that is the price to pay for insane savings on transfer or reg fee.

99% fine the price to pay more than reasonable. but in the end its entirely your call. I honestly do not think anyone in the 99% cares what the 1% do.. and vice versa. its just about being hppy with your choice. no matter what it is. cheers. ciao.

•••
alcy are you suggesting , every time I buy a name I have to change my answer? nobody's problem but mine?

Don't give me life advice. I'll keep my answer polite here.

These are accredited registrars, not a mom & pop shop that makes candles.

That is not the price to pay for anything. I can't believe I'm reading what you just typed.

Thank GODDDDDDD you're not in charge of the legal system anywhere... with that kind of logic the world would be full of incomptence.

I write something constructive & try to help people and you come back with such an answer. If people in the domaining community were more like you, I think I would've left it a long time ago.

IMPROVE LIFE, DON'T ACCEPT INCOMPETENCE, since we're sharing life advice

Last edited:
•••
euh well.. if you forget to change it then I guess that is no longer anybody else's problem but yours.. I guess in life its best not to forget to do things which are important to you.

and yes, I agree ... insane procedure.. but that is the price to pay for insane savings on transfer or reg fee.

99% fine the price to pay more than reasonable. but in the end its entirely your call. I honestly do not think anyone in the 99% cares what the 1% do.. and vice versa. its just about being hppy with your choice. no matter what it is. cheers. ciao.

this doesn't sound logical at all

•••

I don't know which country you're from, but it's definitely not a democratic one. Or 3rd world?

NOWHERE in the dotster specials does it say: "In exchange for 1.99 .com, you must give up your security answer to strangers in order to make account name changes."

It's not something we accepted -- it's something they pulled right from under us AFTER the coupons were over.

Dude you should like, read up on the law.

•••
I use Dotster on a regular basis to push domains across internally. They will always ask you to confirm a security question both for your own account and the account you wish to push too. I adopt the same conversation each time - and state that it is a customers account so don't have access so they simply remove my domains for my customer to add at a later a date.

Always works without any hassle.

•••
I have now pushed & received domains at dotster since this change and want to share this info for those concerned

to push a domain

open live chat
tell them you have sold (domain) to (buyers username/email) and would like the domain to be removed so they can add it to their account
give your secure answer
when confirmed as removed contact the buyer so they can add the domain

to receive a domain

after confirmation of domain removal from seller
add the domain to your account
http://www1.domain.com/knowledgebase/beta/article.bml?ArticleID=783
no secure info required
whois may need changing manually domain central , click on the domain , contact

•••
axc that is exactly the procedure, but with Netfirms for example which is their sister site, it was much more difficult to get this process going.
I had done these steps for one domain, then the next day wanted to do the same process and the person just wouldn't. I had to tell them the steps again and she had to verify and come back to do it.

I spoke to an American rep another time, he knew about it, said most reps are not necessarily aware.

Last edited:
•••
Bye, Bye Dotster for me . Cheap is very expensive ( about $1.99 deal ) .

•••
Bye, Bye Dotster for me . Cheap is very expensive ( about $1.99 deal ) .

for quick flips it's counter productive, but or else when a name gets sold for hundreds or thousands, just move it to godaddy for $10. I'm going to use them for more longer term type of names (not super valuable ones though that's for sure)

Last edited:
•••
axc that is exactly the procedure, but with Netfirms for example which is their sister site, it was much more difficult to get this process going
i have not yet had the 'pleasure' at netfirms,thanks for the headsup

•••
if Ford gives you a $5000 discount on their car, does that mean the engine can just explode because you got a discount?

Nobody is saying it's not a great price...

•••
complain about the security yeah so if you spend your little 600-700 bucks on domains if i buy from you i can steal your stuff. HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE TO U ALCY

•••
nobody is being racist.. I don't even know where you're from....
I'm not a native English speaker either...

•••
complain about the security yeah so if you spend your little 600-700 bucks on domains if i buy from you i can steal your stuff. HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE TO U ALCY

you are paranoid.
nobody stealing anything
setup temp securaity question. call them to push. no one will ever push more than they should.
if u still insecure abuot that.. wait 60 days and transfer out

•••
I don't mean to sound rude to u either little buddies.. but which part of... "don't be saving $600 on each chunk of 100 domains you renew at $200 on netfirms instead of 800-900$ elsewhere.. and watch me care" ... did you not understand exactly?

This man is the only person on this thread who's f'ing serious and grounded.

Why are you quoting the law and rights?? FFS, the registrar(s) offer UNLIMITED $1.39 registratis and you "pros" conduct like the extinct dodo birds who blindly fall off a cliff.

How many registrars offer $1.39 for more than 3 or 4 domains? Yeah taht's right. And none of you smart pros thought it was fishi et all when doster and nefirms and etc offer 'em like they were candy?

It's not about the rules, the law, or whether you live in a hut in Africa or a mansion in the U.S.. It's about COMMON SENSE.

Use ya head if ya got one. Omar and Aimex would agree. If something's too good to be true, it is? That's the way the saying goes. But someone's gotta be greedy and have selective sensibility.

What % of business actually follows the law? Everyone is always trying to cut corners and screw someone over. You didn't think this $1.39 deal was trying to do that? If you didn't see it coming, maybe domaining or business shouldn't be your forte. Just my 2 cents.

•••
nobody is being racist.. I don't even know where you're from....
I'm not a native English speaker either...

good. now I am sensing we are almost friends. let's keep this love alive and growing.

where I am from or not from is about as relevant to this conversation about netifrms security as the 6000 posts I made on namepros in 2 years. I said u are racist because you keep referring to my english.

•••
Godaddy had coupon codes for the longest time for even cheaper than those registrars, were they as incompetent as netfirms and their sister sites? no... so go back to the hole you came out of.

Instead of posting thousands of message in less than 2 years of being on namepros, ask yourself, how come the most respected members don't have so many... because they think before they type
?

man. GD offers 1 coupon per customer. And if you create 2 accounts, they ban both.

don't try to pretend like that isn't the case. You know very well that Dotster's deal was very different, and very fishy -- but you chose to be greedy?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back