IT.COM

showcase Domains You Won at Auction or Closeout

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact

This thread is to share domains you've Won at Auction or Bought at Closeout

Closeout = After auction but before completely dropping from registrar and before going into redemption.

I *HIGHLY* suggest to post only after the domain is transferred *INTO* your account!

Go here if it's a domain you bought that was available at anytime for "hand registration": Your Reg of the Day
Go here if it's a domain you snapped / "drop-catched" after "Pending Delete": Your Snap of the Day

Feel free to disguise the domain like Slash // dot // com or any o|t|h|e|r w a y you want.
IMPORTANT: *If* someone does disguise their name, please respect them by quoting them directly, or copy/paste them directly.

Things to optionally include (or just simply post the domain name):

1. What you paid for the domain(s), or the price range, or no price info at all.
  2. Any information, reasons or hard data (traffic, CPC, etc) that lead you to buy the domain(s).
  3. Where (or who) you acquired the domain from.
  4. How many other bidders there were.
  5. Whether the domain was "expired" or not.
  6. Whether the domain was at "closeout" or not.
  7. The history of the domain.
  8. What you see the domain being used for.
  9. Who a potential buyer could be.
  10. Anything else you want to share .. these are just possible ideas not "rules" ;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I Really like this thread. Especially what you're doing @Ategy.com with the domains you pick by explaining What made you pick them and the kind of industries or businesses they will be relevant to. It is very helpful to a newbie like me. It's like an on the go domain appraisal Course. :xf.smile:

Passes the radio test! :) ... That's a problem with a large number of 5L. Did you get it via GD auctions?

What is the radio test for 5L domains:?:

•••
When it passes the "Radio Test", that usually means when it is mentioned on the radio, the listeners can spell it correctly on their own. Also helps if it is memorable/catchy too. In other words, as the owner you do not want to have to spell the domain name out for your listeners. You want to be able to just say the name, and the listener can spell it correctly themselves (this is not specific to 5-Letter names...)

Last edited:
•••
AIBart //com//

Allied Irish Banks (AIB) ...has a large Art Collection , and found a few website dedicated to aib art

•••
•••
VehicleIQ // dot // com
- I totally love this domain as a SelfDriven technology brand and/or as a data hub / communications service (like OnStar)

SuitableSuitor // dot // com
- Fun dating domain name with memorable alliteration!

Ambrelle // dot // com
- Really nice female generic name that could be used for almost anything with the possible exception of jock-straps! lol

I Really like this thread. Especially what you're doing @Ategy.com with the domains you pick by explaining What made you pick them and the kind of industries or businesses they will be relevant to. It is very helpful to a newbie like me. It's like an on the go domain appraisal Course. :xf.smile:

Glad you like it .. that was kinda the point. Was hoping more people would use it .. but seems the older less specific thread is being hung onto by many .. lol.

As @DN_Hunter mentioned .. it's the ability to know the word without having to spell it out. As he also specified it certainly isn't unique to 5L domains. What I meant is that there is a higher tendency for 5L (and many other short) domains to use creative and/or alternate spellings. These domains certainly do sell .. but obviously if you have one that passes the radio test it's a big bonus.

For example ... Kleen.com might be considered a cool brandable .. but it doesn't pass the radio test because people would go to Clean.com unless you spelled it out K L E E N.

That being said .. a word does not need to be a dictionary word to pass the radio test. For example Volda doesn't mean anything (I'm pretty sure .. lol) .. but it is clear and clean and doesn't have any other reasonable way of spelling it other than V O L D A.

On the other side many real words do NOT always pass the radio test. Like how would you type in "2Legit2Quit.com" if you heard it on the radio?

TwoLegitToQuit
TooLegit2Quit
TwoLegitTwoQuit
etc etc ...
The only way to know how to spell it is knowing the context .. or having the person on the radio spell it out.

The main purpose of the "radio test" isn't actually for radio advertising .. but more for word of mouth advertising and the "viral-ability" of the domain. Meaning if you have cool amazing content on your web site and I get on the phone to tell a friend about .. or if I'm talking about it with a co-worker at work .. will they be able to spell it properly when they get home?

•••
Jatube.com

I got this name on closeout because i saw a few decent tube name sales on namebio

Also its 6 letters and 11 years old

Last edited:
•••
IonTiger // dot // com
- I love this as it has the ion for tech and tiger for power and strength. Sounds amazing when you say it too.

BigGunMedia // dot // com
- Big media name .. Not for the little leaguers! lol

Ubexo // dot // com
- Nice clear strong 5L that passes radio test with flying colours.

Jatube.com
Great name @stewmath .. I think Ja also means Yes in at least one language. Really good grab for a closeout! :)

•••
IonTiger // dot // com
- I love this as it has the ion for tech and tiger for power and strength. Sounds amazing when you say it too.

BigGunMedia // dot // com
- Big media name .. Not for the little leaguers! lol

Ubexo // dot // com
- Nice clear strong 5L that passes radio test with flying colours.

Great name @stewmath .. I think Ja also means Yes in at least one language. Really good grab for a closeout! :)

I really liked a couple of names that you picked - Ubexo and VehicleIQ. Certainly some of the better ones I've seen on this thread (although I'm far from an experienced domainer).

Were these two auction buys?

•••
I really liked a couple of names that you picked - Ubexo and VehicleIQ. Certainly some of the better ones I've seen on this thread (although I'm far from an experienced domainer).

Were these two auction buys?

Yup .. or possibly even closeout I think. I really like VehicleIQ too (it's 10 years old to boot)! :)

•••
I picked up on ebay dealerbet dot com for $13 two years back just happened to be browsing though ebay history today and happened to see this thread. Few others also that aren't in my immediate brain cache.

Last edited:
•••
AffiliateBrand.com

My most recent purchase

•••
WhiteGoldBars(.)com

Im pleased i got this one so cheap

•••
RetinaReader // dot // com
- Love this one for obvious future tech reasons when you'll need to have your eye scanned to access your bitcoin wallet.

SuperBabysitter // dot // com
- Because nobody wants to leave their kids in the care of someone without a cape!

PokerProxy // dot // com
- Lots of people want to play Poker on sites not accessible in their country.

•••
ZeroBlockchain.com

I picked this one up in an expired names dutch auction. Dutch auctions are a bit nail biting, especially for bottom feeders like me, and I was surprised the name made it down to my level.

"zero blockchain" seems to be a generic term for a number of crypto structures that use alternatives to blockchin technology, " zero block" and "block zero" are all registered and in use. I'll keep this name, and I'll use it to describe the new alternative to Bitcoin that may achieve use as a volume payment service. The Bitcoin blockchain is not really a distributed ledger, but a replicated ledger. True distributed ledgers could give payment services the chance to provide secure processing of high traffic payment fulfillment.

•••
children-games com

I know it's hyphen version, but I believe it is strong anyway?

•••
ExpertCannabis // dot // com
MajesticCannabis // dot // com
EconoCannabis // dot // com

With the explosion of new marijuana businesses I wanted to add a few more names to my portfolio!

•••
I'm looking forward to sharing on this thread and hope that more people get involved.

I have recently returned to domaining, starting with a portfolio of zero, and will primarily be using expiring auctions + closeouts on godaddy to rebuild a portfolio.

Like you atergy... I will be relying on putting in the serious hours to find the gems. It may mean just one domain a week, but it will ensure quality over quantity. Looking forward to keeping an eye on your snags.

Would also be cool if people were to update this thread to inform if they resell any at end user prices (with a link to completed sales thread if applicable?).

•••
I'm looking forward to sharing on this thread and hope that more people get involved.

I have recently returned to domaining, starting with a portfolio of zero, and will primarily be using expiring auctions + closeouts on godaddy to rebuild a portfolio.

Like you atergy... I will be relying on putting in the serious hours to find the gems. It may mean just one domain a week, but it will ensure quality over quantity. Looking forward to keeping an eye on your snags.

Would also be cool if people were to update this thread to inform if they resell any at end user prices (with a link to completed sales thread if applicable?).

I really like the idea of sharing the sales. It can sometimes seem meaningless to just share the purchases without the readers knowing if any of them ever get sold.

On the other hand, I think it would be motivating to know that site of the domains bought are actually getting sold.

•••
Jatube.com

I got this name on closeout because i saw a few decent tube name sales on namebio

Also its 6 letters and 11 years old

Nice... Ja = Jamaica.

•••
•••
Capture.PNG

(above is a jpeg, please do not write the domain in any replies).

I'll mostly be buying kings but I think it really works in the .org (google the keyword phrase if you want).

•••
Gloria*Trevi in king
GD closeout

•••
My first closeout name
Us/1/auto in king
Wanna try outbound to see if I can get a quick flip

•••
Nice domain with enough potential end-user..
How much did you buy it?
My first closeout name
Us/1/auto in king
Wanna try outbound to see if I can get a quick flip

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back