IT.COM

Domains "Tainted" By BrandBucket

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Yes Brandbucket has done a lot for the brandable industry, but now it's "tainting" domains that are listed.

I recently logged in my Brandbucket account without issues, all the functionalities were there, I can submit new names to be added also without issue. Naturally I thought my account was in good standing.

I bought a couple of names on NP from someone and when they tried to push the domains to me, it said account not in good standing... My account status should be private as it's related to my personal account, so that's already a certain breach of privacy, but that's besides the point.

This didn't make sense to me until I saw that I had an "F" in their grading system as I had removed a lot of names I had listed on there in the past (at some point I had over 200 within the last 3 years or so and was one of their early adopter clients).
When sales had slowed down or didn't renew some names, removed some that were staying there and collecting dust, or sold some to other Brandbucket account holders, it's normal that names were "Removed".

Markets change, realities change, but because of adapting to these changes which is what a smart business person does to keep up with market conditions, I got an "F" in my account as if I'm in elementary school.

As a result, the seller couldn't transfer the domains to myself. If you ask Brandbucket to remove the names, it takes 30 days, but it would negatively impact standing. Although perhaps not dramatically if it's a few names.

Their own website's Q&A section states:
Q:Why am I being penalized for removing my names?
A:You are not being penalized, but instead we are rewarding our active and committed sellers. We want you to keep your domains on BrandBucket as long as possible—patience is key when selling brandable names.

Which lawyer or clever writer came out with that ridiculous line. In reality it's something like Technically we are devaluing your domain name as if it does not sell on our platform you're stuck leaving it here with the threat of not letting you the potential to do business with us anymore in the future or with any client that has names on Brandbucket that you might be interested in buying from the seller and list or own it yourself, but you are not being penalized, you are just one step closer to Brandbucket heaven. Sometimes removing a name and perhaps selling it for cheap and buying more Brandbucket market related names can be a very good strategy, but who cares...

Anyways.. I asked my account to be permanently closed with them. It's like a trap that once your name is in there, the way out comes with consequences even though you give them the 30 day notice (after the name didn't sell on there for a while which is what happened with the majority of the names I had on there).

Some did sell, because of them or because of the quality of the names themselves, that will never really be known. Brandbucket changed with the changing times, but if you do, you're penalized. Great policy.

That being said, ironically the people running it are not bad people at all! I've had the pleasure to communicate with them in the past. So I'm genuinely torn, but scathed enough to do the right thing in making sure experienced brandable domainers as well as newbies truly understand what's going on.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I had the same problems a few months ago. I negotiated with them, and I think we resolved the problem. But who knows, maybe later I will get this problem again...

thanks for sharing

•••
if the BB names that you have purchased are BB accepted names then you can simply resubmit those to get it in your account. this irrespective of any standing of your account. :)

In case of BB published names there maybe an issue that you have described above.

•••
Thanks for sharing. LOL @ "F".

One way in, no way out.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back