IT.COM

Domaining... the Secret Industry.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey Guys,

I've been doing this for years now, and I love buying and selling domains names and managing ONE SITE AT A TIME.

I speak to my friends about it, and they just pass it buy. They don't realise that there really is so much money to be made from a few letters on an Computer screen.

It seems that we are very much a minority even though there is such fierce competition.

Is anyone else in this position? I am the only person that I know that deals with domain names.

Has anyone successfully managed to get their friends in to it?

Just wundering... :)

- Luke

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting thread...

For the most part domaining is a hobby.. And there are far too many unsubstantiated claims flying about where domainers claim this or that.. A quick background check on some of these characters normally reveals them posting newb questions a mere month or two previous... Very few people make a decent living from domaining.. Even for me, its still a hobby. Everything I earn in domaining, i plough back into domaining and developing.. I take nothing out and Ive been doing this a long time...

So for any new guys reading "im making this or that from domaining", dont give up the day job (just yet) ;)

The game is purely about economics.. Ok so you make a sale here and a sale there but what does this equate to?? Certainly not a full time employment. Whether you buy or hold, once that sale is made, that domain (or more importantly 'your stock') is gone... Buy at reg fee and sell for $$$ = a hobby. I have a lot of respect for those that buy multi high-ish value domains looking to flip them as fast as poss, making a good deal of $$$ a time.

remember, you sell your stock, you have no stock and domaining is no get rich quick scheme...

•••
Badger said:
Interesting thread...

For the most part domaining is a hobby.. And there are far too many unsubstantiated claims flying about where domainers claim this or that.. A quick background check on some of these characters normally reveals them posting newb questions a mere month or two previous... Very few people make a decent living from domaining.. Even for me, its still a hobby. Everything I earn in domaining, i plough back into domaining and developing.. I take nothing out and Ive been doing this a long time...

So for any new guys reading "im making this or that from domaining", dont give up the day job (just yet) ;)

The game is purely about economics.. Ok so you make a sale here and a sale there but what does this equate to?? Certainly not a full time employment. Whether you buy or hold, once that sale is made, that domain (or more importantly 'your stock') is gone... Buy at reg fee and sell for $$$ = a hobby. I have a lot of respect for those that buy multi high-ish value domains looking to flip them as fast as poss, making a good deal of $$$ a time.

remember, you sell your stock, you have no stock and domaining is no get rich quick scheme...
Great advice on all levels Badger. The fact that some of us can barely keep the kitty (reg fees) fed waiting for our stocks to grow (and they will in time) shows the committment it takes to get to earning even a small profit for most n00bs and elders alike.
If you are starting out with a large budget it makes it a little easier, but even then a few mistakes and you're down here with the rest of us... looking for domains that will pay for themselves until they acrue.

As stated so many times before its traffic/potential that really determines value, dev is king and produces traffic. So much to learn.... and hard to explain to the uninformed.
Domaining must really be a passion first, with passion comes experience, with experience come profit.
Tricky putting all these factors together. Well for most anyways.

Peace,
Cyberian

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back