IT.COM

Domain with or without hyphen

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kvok

Impact
Hi

I have one newbie question is it worth to buy domain with hyphen ?

For example there is already sold domain electricvehicles.com but electric-vehicles.com is free ,
does it have a sense to buy it ?

Im not owner none of them but I just wanted to show the use case.

if not why ? Is there any rule that for example when 2 words domain usually costs 1000$
and if you have the same domain with hyphen so price is around 10% of 1000 $ ?

Thanks for all comments !

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's your call, on how you want to burn your money. By looking at the past records, the highest grossing sales reported for hypen-com was hotel-reservation.com for approx 200k, sometime in 2009!

•••
One of my best domains is hyphenated, I pretty much agree with your 10% logic. It just depends on the name and price.

•••
Looks like its just habit or common standart of the domain name from old time, that better not using hypen, and its also shorter

if multi verse is existed, in another world, maybe the standart could be with hypen

Last edited:
•••
Names, in general, are better without hyphens. However, some parts of the world use them regularly...you must know your target market.

The percentage of hyphenated names in my portfolio is less than .5%

•••
I have some great beginner business names. If needed, good price too.

•••
•••
There is no rule per say, just an unspoken one as well as a proven one in terms of desirability:

The hyphen usually just looks ugly and thus devalues the name and diminishes trust on the url. There are exceptions of course as with anything and would never recommend blanketing all with the same mindset.

Actually the example you gave could work because you're splitting two keywords that can make a generic definition when used in conjunction.. kind of like well being or well-being. vs say like plumbing-solutions

•••
I think a premium combination could be worth while. Some parts of the world use more hyphenated names than others (Germany for example).

Having said that, whenever I'm searching lists I have the filter take out any hyphens.

•••
Electric vehicles isn't something brandable, so electricvehicles.com isn't something businesses would be interested in. It's a cool domain to own, but it wouldn't be a particularly useful domain since vehicles is difficult to spell and so the full phrase wouldn't contribute with any notable type-in traffic (which is all it can be used for).

Hyphenated domains are bad because they're unconventional, which makes them feel odd and unreliable, not to mention difficult to market. "Check us out at electric vehicles dot com!" is a lot smoother than "Check us out at electric hyphen vehicles dot com." Some might even mishear or misinterpret the word "hyphen."

•••
I would always prefer without, however hyphenated .COM are fine for super top tier terms.

I would buy domains like Real-Estate.com or Las-Vegas.com without a doubt.

Brad

•••
I would always prefer without, however hyphenated .COM are fine for super top tier terms.

I would buy domains like Real-Estate.com or Las-Vegas.com without a doubt.
Follow-up question. In general terms, what are your thoughts on the amount you would like to spend on such domains, compared to the non-hyphenated variants?

•••
Follow-up question. In general terms, what are your thoughts on the amount you would like to spend on such domains, compared to the non-hyphenated variants?
It depends. I would easily pay $X,XXX range for true top tier terms with a hyphen.

The type of domains that would sell for millions without a hyphen.

Brad

•••
It depends.
Hi

yeah, it depends on the keywords.
there are many terms that are intentionally hyphenated in newspapers, mags and such.

imo...

•••
Last edited:
•••
Here are two companies hyphen in brand name, yet use unhyphenated .com website.

IMG_1104.jpeg

IMG_1105.jpeg

Last edited:
•••
Germans use hyphens a lot, it was mentioned here at NP too, so I guess you'll have more chances to sell hyphenated domain in .de zone

•••
Germans use hyphens a lot, it was mentioned here at NP too, so I guess you'll have more chances to sell hyphenated domain in .de zone
The Germans also use “.De” more than “.com” they are an anomaly as they come.

Last edited:
•••
We own b-school.com and it was featured in one of the articles by an OG member here as a category killer domain. We acquired it over a decade back.

Business Standard which is a widely popular business daily uses a hyphenated domain and there are many similar instances where hyphenated ones make more sense.

Last edited:
•••
I quite like hyphens to separate the words. As others have said they are very popular in germany

•••
Hi

I have one newbie question is it worth to buy domain with hyphen ?

For example there is already sold domain electricvehicles.com but electric-vehicles.com is free ,
does it have a sense to buy it ?

Im not owner none of them but I just wanted to show the use case.

if not why ? Is there any rule that for example when 2 words domain usually costs 1000$
and if you have the same domain with hyphen so price is around 10% of 1000 $ ?

Thanks for all comments !
If you're thinking about buying a domain with a hyphen, like electric-vehicles.com because electricvehicles.com is already taken, there are a few things to keep in mind.

Advantages​

1. Availability: Hyphenated domains are more likely to be available when the non-hyphenated version is already taken.
  2. Readability: A hyphen can make the domain name easier to read, especially if it’s made up of multiple words. For example, electric-vehicles.com is easier to understand at a glance than electricvehicles.com.

Disadvantages​

1. User Confusion: People often forget to type the hyphen, which can lead them to the non-hyphenated version instead.
  2. SEO and Perception: While search engines don’t penalize hyphenated domains, non-hyphenated ones are generally seen as more professional and easier to remember.
  3. Brand Image: Non-hyphenated domains are usually viewed as more trustworthy and are easier to market and share.

Pricing​

Hyphenated domains tend to be cheaper than their non-hyphenated counterparts. There isn't a strict rule, but non-hyphenated domains can be significantly more expensive because they are seen as more valuable.

Recommendations​

1. Evaluate Your Needs: If the non-hyphenated domain is very important for your brand, you might want to try to buy it from the current owner.
  2. Look for Alternatives: Consider other domain names without hyphens that are still easy to read and relevant to your business, like getelectricvehicles.com.
  3. Use Hyphens Sparingly: If you have to use a hyphen, make sure your website content and marketing efforts are strong enough to help people remember your domain.

•••
If you're thinking about buying a domain with a hyphen, like electric-vehicles.com because electricvehicles.com is already taken, there are a few things to keep in mind.

Advantages​

1. Availability: Hyphenated domains are more likely to be available when the non-hyphenated version is already taken.
  2. Readability: A hyphen can make the domain name easier to read, especially if it’s made up of multiple words. For example, electric-vehicles.com is easier to understand at a glance than electricvehicles.com.

Disadvantages​

1. User Confusion: People often forget to type the hyphen, which can lead them to the non-hyphenated version instead.
  2. SEO and Perception: While search engines don’t penalize hyphenated domains, non-hyphenated ones are generally seen as more professional and easier to remember.
  3. Brand Image: Non-hyphenated domains are usually viewed as more trustworthy and are easier to market and share.

Pricing​

Hyphenated domains tend to be cheaper than their non-hyphenated counterparts. There isn't a strict rule, but non-hyphenated domains can be significantly more expensive because they are seen as more valuable.

Recommendations​

1. Evaluate Your Needs: If the non-hyphenated domain is very important for your brand, you might want to try to buy it from the current owner.
  2. Look for Alternatives: Consider other domain names without hyphens that are still easy to read and relevant to your business, like getelectricvehicles.com.
  3. Use Hyphens Sparingly: If you have to use a hyphen, make sure your website content and marketing efforts are strong enough to help people remember your domain.
ChatGPT is that you?

•••
I think that HYPHEN makes .COM(at least) domain 10-100 times less valuable. But it can still be valuable, in some cases.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back