IT.COM

registrars Domain suspended by Namecheap

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

flyingpig

Impact
hi all,

My domain (hence associated email as well) got suddenly suspended by namecheap for fraudent activity.

Domain was based on brand name we have, not the registered business name so when namecheap asked for certificate of incorporation we provided them for our registered company but they keep insisting us to provide them documents for website which is impossible as the website name is not the registered business name. I am banging my head with namecheap support on emails but they keep saying same exact thing that I need to provide doc for 'website'. Do note I have my site with them for 3 years and have hardly made any changes in these 3 years.

I am trying to understand what options I have now.

In worst case scenario is possible for me to move my website and emails to another provider (note i can access my Namecheap account but domain is suspended and hence emails are bouncing back as well) ?

And what other providers can be recommended that are not as stupid as namecheap and have a better track record i.e. usually do not suspend your domains just like that.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What's the specific reason that they gave for the suspension? I'd be quite surprised if they insisted on an incorporation certificate for a "Brand" name instead of the org/company name.

•••
hi all,

My domain (hence associated email as well) got suddenly suspended by namecheap for fraudent activity.

Domain was based on brand name we have, not the registered business name so when namecheap asked for certificate of incorporation we provided them for our registered company but they keep insisting us to provide them documents for website which is impossible as the website name is not the registered business name. I am banging my head with namecheap support on emails but they keep saying same exact thing that I need to provide doc for 'website'. Do note I have my site with them for 3 years and have hardly made any changes in these 3 years.

I am trying to understand what options I have now.

In worst case scenario is possible for me to move my website and emails to another provider (note i can access my Namecheap account but domain is suspended and hence emails are bouncing back as well) ?

And what other providers can be recommended that are not as stupid as namecheap and have a better track record i.e. usually do not suspend your domains just like that.

Thanks
Have you recently changed/updated your WHOIS info? They can be quite sensitive about that stuff.

•••
@anantj - they said that someone lodged a complaint of fraudulent activity being conducted via website, which was weird as website does not even asks for any payments in anyway. I am thinking this could be my former partner being stupid and lodging a complaint just to bother me

@AH555 - Not really, thats been same for last 3 years.

I might take this opportunity to ask for recommendation for any other domain registrators that are more flexible in their policy and does not blindly goes after domain owners like namecheap.

btw after 36 hours of non stop email exchange and providing them affidavits and every possible docs they did restore my domain.

•••
btw after 36 hours of non stop email exchange and providing them affidavits and every possible docs they did restore my domain.
Congratulations. Did you provide any details on what the original complaint was and why they blocked the domain?

I might take this opportunity to ask for recommendation for any other domain registrators that are more flexible in their policy and does not blindly goes after domain owners like namecheap.
Ideally, any good registrar will have a policy to suspend domains that are being used for fraudulent activity but their process also should be to perform due diligence prior to suspension. I feel Namecheap jumped the gun in this case and they should have investigated the entire situation thoroughly prior to suspending the domain

•••
@anantj - they said that someone lodged a complaint of fraudulent activity being conducted via website, which was weird as website does not even asks for any payments in anyway. I am thinking this could be my former partner being stupid and lodging a complaint just to bother me

@AH555 - Not really, thats been same for last 3 years.

Name.com
Trust me on this they are amazing.

•••
Congratulations. Did you provide any details on what the original complaint was and why they blocked the domain?

Ideally, any good registrar will have a policy to suspend domains that are being used for fraudulent activity but their process also should be to perform due diligence prior to suspension. I feel Namecheap jumped the gun in this case and they should have investigated the entire situation thoroughly prior to suspending the domain
Only thing they told me was that someone lodged a complaint for fraudulent activity from website. I tried a lot but they did not revealed anything at all.

•••
Aren't they based in US ? Mine is a crypto business related site, not sure if its a good idea to go with them

•••
Aren't they based in US ? Mine is a crypto business related site, not sure if its a good idea to go with them
I don't think the issue has anything to your business being related to crypto.

•••

You can try Infomaniak.com. Most of my domains are with Infomaniak. They're swiss based and they're not just 'another registrar'. They also do domain registration. But, their main business is hosting. Pricing is not that high. Their domain registration comes with 1 email account and 1 page website! Privacy additional: Euro 2.x!

When you place an order, they may put the order on hold and ask you to go through 'id verification' process. If that happens, make sure that you register the name with some other registrar cloudflare.com just to ensure that no one else registers your name in between. Later, you can transfer from Cloudflare to Infomaniak, once you're all set, if required. Note: Cloudflare support is not that good. In fact it's lousy. But, it's another safe place for domain assets.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back