Dynadot

registrars Domain Registrar Query

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

likewise

Established Member
Impact
Currently, I am using Godaddy. I am a part-time blogger and I have only one site. So, please be kind if its a very newbie question for you guys.

I will be changing my host to hostgator or bluehost. A friend of mine suggested that while moving my site to a new host I should get my domain to an independent registrar.

Is that possible to host in one service and keep the domain in another registrar. Will that be even a wise idea?

So, which registrar will be good? I mean in terms of security and money?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello,
And welcome to namepros :)

Yes, you can do that
It's quite frequent in fact.
In general I register my domains at Namesilo and link them to the host (Ovh in general, It's one of the biggest here)
When you'll buy your hosting, they'll guide you to connect your domain

Gube

•••
While going on with the process as I can see in every registrar, the WHOIS have to be disabled and what nots!! Will my site be down at some point? Even for a brief period?

•••
In general yes, there is a downtime
Ovh for example, Once we make the dns change, it can take up to an hour to be connected (During that time, it shows a "Non-linked" error page)

•••
So for me the general process will be that I transfer my domain to say Namesilo. While hosting it in Godaddy.

Then I buy a new hosting plan in a different hosting company and then link back the domain which is in namesilo to it? Will this be enough or there are some other steps too?

•••
I would do this:
Save everything from godaddy and upload it to the new host
Once it's done, I transfer the name to Namesilo (Not obliged to transfer, Godaddy is a good registrar too, just a bit more expensive) and I connect it to the hosting

•••
How much time will it really take to transfer the domain from godaddy to namesilo?

•••
•••
@likewise

As a side note, please doublecheck before selecting any EIG (Endurance International Group) - owned webhost like Hostgator or Bluehost. A search for "non-eig hosting" may provide some tips...

Last edited:
•••
@likewise

As a side note, please doublecheck before selecting any EIG (Endurance International Group) - owned webhost like Hostgator or Bluehost. A search for "non-eig hosting" may provide some tips...

I am sorry. I didn't understand what you meant to state here. EIG owns several companies that I know but not sure how's that linked to me.

•••
•••
I am sorry. I didn't understand what you meant to state here. EIG owns several companies that I know but not sure how's that linked to me.

Because they own both hosting companies you mentioned...

•••
I will be changing my host to hostgator or bluehost

EIG owns several companies that I know but not sure how's that linked to me.

You will probably need to change hosts twice. As both hostgator and bluehost are owned by Endurance. They acquire hosts and downgrade them... ;(

•••
Because they own both hosting companies you mentioned...
I knew that Bluehost is but didn't know hostgator too. I am a newbie so you could guess.

•••
They said 5 days. Anyway thanks for the help.
Thats only if you don't manually approve the transfer in your control panel.

•••
EIGHosting.jpg

(R) https://researchasahobby.com/full-list-eig-hosting-companies-brands/

•••
You will probably need to change hosts twice. As both hostgator and bluehost are owned by Endurance. They acquire hosts and downgrade them... ;(

What do you suggest? Move from Godaddy to which one? Liquid web?

•••
Liquid web is one of the best and most respected hosts in U.S. I tried them and can definitely recommend. I am unsure do they offer shared hosting at this time though... as your original post mentioned one blog that needs to be hosted.

Last edited:
•••
•••
@likewise - The problem with a quality host like Liquid Web is they are going to be very expensive. I would definitely highly recommend KnownHost.com (shared account). It's going to be much cheaper. I have a VPS with them. Their support is excellent (important for a noob and experts alike). Their motto, paraphrasing, is they never want to lose any customer. And you feel it. You can find cheaper. But I promise you, you won't find better. It is an annual contract price. Even if they quote monthly prices.

This should be your first move. You have then secured a big vulnerability of having your registrar and hosting as one This is important because if your host and registrar are one, and you run into a problem with your hosting. They will lock your account, for both your hosting and your registration. You are at their mercy. This threat is very real. With GoDaddy too. With registration/hosting separated. No problem. You just open a hosting account with another host, and point the domain to the new host. Upload your backup of your website to the new host (you do have a backup? :) and you are all set.

Even though GD are the biggest registrar on the planet. That can be a burden. Mostly that will pricing, with only 1 domain. But there are other problems like behaving like Big Brother. After you have got your hosting running smoothly elsewhere. Then is the time to consider moving registrar. Most registrars provide pretty similar services. So a cheap registrar like NameSilo will provide everything that GoDaddy can do. Cheaper, and with every conceivable add-on for free. For me. NameSilo's Control Panel needs a small learning curve after GoDaddy. But anyone with even low intelligence should be able to get around it, in less than 1 day. It's nothing daunting. I'm just telling you what to expect. Most registrar's are much like each other. And they don't do much apart from pointing to you hosting. So I'd say NameSilo would be a pretty good choice.

I should probably have asked you what are your requirements for hosting? I just imagined that you were on a budget plan at GoDaddy.

There are many thousands of Registrar's and Hosts. It's a blinding aray. But this advice will serve you well.

Last edited:
•••
@likewise - Of course if you don't fix what the first host was complaining about, then your second host might block your hosting too. This is where the quality of support matters most. You should be able to discuss the problem with the support staff, who should be able to inform you what you need to do to fix the problem. KnownHost will respond to any ticket within 1-2 minutes (any time of day), and they will not treat you like an adversary. Because they want to keep you as their customer. It's a refreshing thought. At least for me.

This is completely different to how GoDaddy work. Of the extreme cases we get to hear about. It seems, GoDaddy lock your account Friday afternoon. You can only speak with their fraud department. Which goes home on Friday 5pm Phoenix time until Monday morning. And probably don't give you any meaningful response, until YOU have fixed the problem. Appalling Customer Relations. IMHO. Which is prima facie evidence why you should not want to host your website with GoDaddy.

Of course these are extreme cases. Some people will find themselves in these extreme cases. Do you want one of them to be you? Their behavior completely overshadows any goodwill they might have with thousands of completely satisfied customers. IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
@stub. I am currently using shared hosting. Nothing fancy. Going to services like Liquidweb will be indeed expensive and unnecessary (as they only provide VPS and dedicated servers).

•••
@stub. I am currently using shared hosting. Nothing fancy. Going to services like Liquidweb will be indeed expensive and unnecessary (as they only provide VPS and dedicated servers).

As I've already pointed out. You should try KnownHost.com. They are quality hosting.

Last edited:
•••
I have my hosting on a VPS at https://www.server4you.net , I am really satisfied with them.
You can choose your server location to EU or US and the VPS starts at 5 euro per month - without plesk license, with plesk license is 10 euro first month, than 15 euro.

•••
You can choose your server location to EU or US and the VPS starts at 5 euro per month - without plesk license, with plesk license is 10 euro first month, than 15 euro.

I more of a cPanel type of guy.

•••
Back