Dynadot

Domain ownership at Dan.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

webdomainhub

Established Member
Impact
I was trying to add a newly bought domain at dan.com just now but failed after multiple attempts. Reached out to dan.com but yet to receive a reply. I investigated the root cause and found out that someone else has already uploaded it into dan.com

My question is this. If everyone can just upload any domain onto the platform, then how can the buyer distinguised between a genuine owner or a fake one. Secondly, it will be frustrating and a hassle for real owners to list on the platform if the fake sellers have already uploaded them. Doesn't dan.com require some sort of ownership verification before domains can be uploaded?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I’ve had this happen multiple times. It means it was listed by the prior owner. Just ask them via their chat to change the ownership to you.

•••
I totally understand your frustration. However, I think this is just an oversite from platforms such as Dan and Efty and no doubt many other platforms where you as the owner of the domains are left to remove any domains that have dropped or been sold etc

I currently have my portfolio website over at Efty and you as the owner of the domain that has dropped, are responsible to go into your back office and make those changes. If you do nothing about it the name still appears as available for purchase from your portfolio.

I guess your first point of rectifying your issue is to contact the support from Dan to remove it from said fake owner (likely to be the previous owner).

These type of portfolio platforms are not usually registrars so, unfortunately, the names that have dropped or have moved by other means, are not automatically removed from the listing.
Let us know how you got on.

•••
Easy fix. Just request support.

•••
@Reza

another thing that needs devs attention is adding domains that had already been added by previous owners but then sold elsewhere or dropped and never deleted from their Undeveloped/DAN accounts

you buy/reg a name and then you can't add it without contacting support first and then they will do that for you, manually (!) ...
while it keeps showing with some quirky low $xxx BIN which is like 1/50 of what I plan to charge :)

this whole thing is all about owner verification which should be automated by checking Whois email or DNS TXT at the time of adding a name as it's done at Sedo, for example.

letting users add any name without verifying they own it should absolutely not be possible/allowed at any respectable marketplace and will be abused sooner or later

thanks in advance for implementing it

Hi,

We have a solution in mind to solve that issue but haven't gotten to it yet. We're working on it!

•••
My question is this. If everyone can just upload any domain onto the platform, then how can the buyer distinguised between a genuine owner or a fake one. Secondly, it will be frustrating and a hassle for real owners to list on the platform if the fake sellers have already uploaded them. Doesn't dan.com require some sort of ownership verification before domains can be uploaded?
@Reza If I find a way to find domains pointed at undeveloped nameservers without being there I could add them to my account and sell them for cheap.. especially when dan is superfast at delivering funds :)
glad there's a fix coming.

•••
•••
DAN needs to get off his fat butt and initiate a TXT Verification Code format to automatically knock the domain off these previous owners and potential scammers.

I had this problem on other networks, and no sooner than I had gotten control back for my long-owned domains, the scammer has requested the same and were given back all the domains. A TXT code inserted at the registrar DNS level gives the real owner a chance to lay the hammer down on these bozos.

* the reason scammers try this method is to get a big offer (in a locked payment) and then go negotiate with the real domain owner, acting as the middleman. They usually troll major domain marketplaces and then add large sets of domains at marketplaces they are not present at. i.e. troll users at DAN and Afternic, then load whatever isn't there on Sedo.

•••
@Reza If I find a way to find domains pointed at undeveloped nameservers without being there I could add them to my account and sell them for cheap.. especially when dan is superfast at delivering funds :)
glad there's a fix coming.

glad you have the auth code

•••
Easy fix. Just request support.
Support has been a hell of slow snail today. Dude who responded to me today for same problem kept promising but after several hours, till this moment, he didn't do anything about it.

I was pissed as hell.

You can imagine the time it took him to reply over 4 or 3 of my messages, at various intervals, that could have taken him same time to get the job done... why not get it fixed before replying me? I gave the option, if moving it to my portfolio is a problem, delete the old listing and let me list it myself.

And now, I may have to wait till tomorrow because their office may have closed.:rage:

•••
•••
Don't need it with Fast Transfer, and all scammers need to do is hope the owner doesn't read his email.
How would that work? At afternic you dont need a code, but the fast transfer would have had to been approved by the current owner not the previous owner.

I dont have my domains at bin on DAN. Doesn't there need to be an agreement with the current owner to list it as fast transfer? If someone did bin, there shouldn't be anything in the old account that approved it to transfer. What am I missing?

•••
How would that work? At afternic you dont need a code, but the fast transfer would have had to been approved by the current owner not the previous owner.

When I used Fast Transfer, the email stated that I can approve the transfer, or just wait X days and it will automatically go through - if I did not initiate the transfer, please contact blah, blah, blah.

It may differ by Registrar, or have changed in the interim, but that's what I received the last time I used fast transfer. I always approved the transfer (as I like money) and I have never waited the X days to see what happens.

I see people complaining about missing domains on their account, and later find out these were sold immediately through their registrar's fast transfer, and they seemingly didn't have to approve anything.

Last edited:
•••
First thing I did but yet to get a reply...
Support has been a hell of slow snail today. Dude who responded to me today for same problem kept promising but after several hours, till this moment, he didn't do anything about it.

I was pissed as hell.

You can imagine the time it took him to reply over 4 or 3 of my messages, at various intervals, that could have taken him same time to get the job done... why not get it fixed before replying me? I gave the option, if moving it to my portfolio is a problem, delete the old listing and let me list it myself.

And now, I may have to wait till tomorrow because their office may have closed.:rage:

Sorry to hear that. Well, a few weeks ago I started using their parking and NS’s. Several were rejected because of previous registrants data, and no delayed intervention other than one email from a guy named Simon. So, perhaps backlogged? Where is Reza? He responds usually here too.

•••

I was pissed as hell.

They must be busy with all the updates and programming and many many many people sending emails about all sorts of issues. He said around 10 days ago ''in 1 to 3 weeks things will be fixed''.

I don't like this delete old listing system, same at afternic with 0 verification. Anyone can just message support say this domain is mine they will remove it from the system and you'll be able to add it.
It's not supposed to happen with Sedo because of verification but it happened to me last year. A domain was removed from my account and the listing appeared in search (someone based in UAE). I understand it has to be verified to appear in search, I have no idea how that was done. I messaged support, I told them the domain was removed today I did not do it and it reappeared in someone else's account why did that happen. They simply said ''we were not able to verify you are the owner (lie), please use verification process blablabla''. It was very strange especially that the domain was a really bad and long one.

•••
At both Afternic and Dan I have repeatedly encountered the issue of previous owners leaving domains they no longer own listed. While the person would not be able to sell a domain name they did not own, it is a bother to repeatedly have to ask customer support to take down the old listing. Both Afternic and Dan reply promptly, usually have it down in less than a day, but I agree that a system where continued ownership is checked automatically would be preferable.
Bob

•••
Don't need it with Fast Transfer, and all scammers need to do is hope the owner doesn't read his email.

as far as I know
dan /com is not participating in fast transfer

•••
The same thing happens at Sedo even with the verification (can't add because of previous owners not removing it etc.) and have to contact support. Difference is with Dan if you contact between working hours (9-5 CEST) they fix the problem the same day while Sedo takes either a week to respond or not at all. Afternic there's just no point unless you want to pick up a phone each time

Last edited:
•••
Not so easy. I sent proof and still have roughly 20 names some other seller uploaded first. They need to fix it. At least Efty if you provide proof they fix it. Why these platforms don’t tell sellers to get their $hit together and keep their portfolio updated is a mystery.

•••
Still no action until now despite recieving an acknowledgement that they will take care of the problem.

•••
I faced the same issue but after contacting support they removed the previous listing and i was able to add mine. Give them a day or two.

•••
Had the same issue, but it was fixed in about 24 hours in my case.. Domaining is a waiting game so what's another day ;)

•••
I see people complaining about missing domains on their account, and later find out these were sold immediately through their registrar's fast transfer, and they seemingly didn't have to approve anything.

WRT this, I've confirmed some of my domains to opt in for Fast Transfer and most of the confirmed domains are no longer in my portfolio. Is that how FT works? or should I be concerned about stolen domains?

•••
Had the same issue with DAN, wrote them (politely:xf.wink:) , they have fixed the issue with about 20 domains in a few hours.

•••
WRT this, I've confirmed some of my domains to opt in for Fast Transfer and most of the confirmed domains are no longer in my portfolio. Is that how FT works? or should I be concerned about stolen domains?

If your "portfolio" is to mean "Registrar account", then yes, definitely.

If you mean "portfolio" like "domains I've listed on DAN or other sites" then it could just mean that someone else loaded them to the same site and they auto-deleted your listing. if so, contact the site admin.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back