Dynadot

discuss Domain negotiation failed - They are building site on the plural

NameSilo
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
Hi

So I had a failed negotiation a few months back on a .com domain and I have noticed they are building a site on a plural hand reg ( example - I own website .com and they building on websites .com)

Curious to hear back from people who have been in this position before, I have put a BIN on the lander and will wait them out....no rush at my end

Have you had people come back to you and buy the non plural after building out a site? Or because they have developed the plural they forget about it and move on......

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The vast majority of the general population does not view domains in the same light as domain investors. If a developer or startup has a name for a project they may have a preferred domain but they generally view domains like we might view a tablet or cellphone purchase. So when the seller wants $xxxx or more for a domain and the project's founder does not have a vision of a project becoming worth hundreds of millions of dollars, they often select a cheap (though inferior) alternative.

•••
I haven't personally had that happen, but I will say if I missed out on the non-plural (in most cases) for my brand, my baby ...if I could get it, I'd probably be itching. I'd be doing my best to make it right with you, to work out a deal ...if there was some misunderstanding / failure that we didn't get right. I may even reconsider my bid too, if it wasn't too crazy the price, if I had a long term view on my brand

(In my opinion)

Last edited:
•••
The vast majority of the general population does not view domains in the same light as domain investors. If a developer or startup has a name for a project they may have a preferred domain but they generally view domains like we might view a tablet or cellphone purchase. So when the seller wants $xxxx or more for a domain and the project's founder does not have a vision of a project becoming worth hundreds of millions of dollars, they often select a cheap (though inferior) alternative.
It's odd - we where in the x,xxx range and they approached me, so when they broke it off and went for the cheap option it looks to be a case of cold feet......one thing I did not do straight away though was add a BIN afterwards, I left it for a while - maybe a mistake there......

Oh well.....will wait and see, all I can do really.......

•••
I haven't personally had that happen, but I will say if I missed out on the non-plural (in most cases) for my brand, my baby ...if I could get it, I'd probably be itching. I'd be doing my best to make it right with you, to work out a deal ...if there was some misunderstanding / failure that we didn't get right. I'd probably reconsider my bid too, if it wasn't too crazy the price, if I had a long term view on my brand

(In my opinion)
Well they know where I am :xf.wink:........I'm not crawling to them, they either hit BIN or not.......

•••
It's odd - we where in the x,xxx range and they approached me, so when they broke it off and went for the cheap option it looks to be a case of cold feet......one thing I did not do straight away though was add a BIN afterwards, I left it for a while - maybe a mistake there......

Oh well.....will wait and see, all I can do really.......

Probably their idea of a price for this domain was very much different in the first place, although they understood you wanted your xxxx.
It happens quite often - they shoot the low bid, because there are tons of sellers who would go for the deal, despite the initial price being 10 times higher.

The good thing - you know your name has a demand.

•••
Have you had people come back to you and buy the non plural after building out a site? Or because they have developed the plural they forget about it and move on......

I've had both endings happen.

In a similar situation I developed a mini site on the name they 'walked' on. After about 6 months of me getting traffic that was clearly intended for their new site, they came back and picked it up at BIN. My price was more than fair...the guy was very rude from the very first time he contacted me and I wanted to jack the price up, but did not.

•••
Okay,
Logo, website title, slogan?
They used the singular or the plural that they just hand registered it.
Running the website with plural rightnow, give lower chance to think again about the singular, for them, it's different rebranding and not moves to better extention like from dotco to dotcom
Many of us, would like to own both singular and plural, but in there situation, I can see that after negotiation field, they hand registered the plural

Last edited:
•••
This is the disadvantage sometimes for using ( make offer ) option !
Maybe sooner when they find out that the traffic is leaking to the singular , they will comeback to you .

•••
Just wait... if the plural option doesn't really make sense they will be back to buy it.

•••
yeah, I have same this in 2020, they accepted BIN (low 5 figs on GDD, pay via escrow) but they had said escrow is too complicated to process (they could not KYC), then they declined the deal

after a few months, I see plural version working

after that I sent an email with lower offer, they still said it was high but no reply with their offers

and then after 2 emails from me without reply, I quited this deal totally

Last edited:
•••
Not everyone wants to pay high price for example ... A domain games247.com listed in squadhelp for 96,000 but the company os not interested to buy it.. instead they go for games24x7.com

•••
May I ask how they hit bin when you had a site set up on the url ? I want to do this also but worry they won't know how to purchase if it doesn't direct to a lander

I've had both endings happen.

In a similar situation I developed a mini site on the name they 'walked' on. After about 6 months of me getting traffic that was clearly intended for their new site, they came back and picked it up at BIN. My price was more than fair...the guy was very rude from the very first time he contacted me and I wanted to jack the price up, but did not.

•••
If they are successful they will buy it because they will be tired of people telling them they went to the singular.

If you want to motivate them to buy it, post the following message in big letters on your domain.

Urgent Notice: YourDomain is not affiliated in any way with YourDomains. If you were robbed, abused, scammed, cheated or hurt in anyway by YourDomains please do not contact us as we have nothing to do with them. We do feel bad for you and wish we could help but there is nothing we could do.

I am obviously not being serious, but I could see someone doing this.

•••
May I ask how they hit bin when you had a site set up on the url ? I want to do this also but worry they won't know how to purchase if it doesn't direct to a lander

I had it parked for with a couple of links that showed the name/site might be available. Once they clicked that it took it to a page with a bin button (I took away the make offer option). The code for the link is the same one that worked with the parking/monetization site that I had it on prior.

•••
Raise the BIN and wait. They will be back.

•••
In cases like this you:

1) Immediately renew the domain for another year or two.
2) Remove the BIN and act like it's business as usual.
3) Wait.

•••
A domain games247.com listed in squadhelp for 96,000 but the company os not interested to buy it.. instead they go for games24x7.com

Penny smart, pound stupid.

If you're going to use games24x7.com then change your brand to Games 24x7, don't leave it at Games247, as that's the worst of both worlds. Unless you like losing money, your online brand *must* match part or all of your domain name.

Last edited:
•••
Domain Recap is RIGHT on the money!

•••
I have been on the other side: We were building an e-commerce website for a client and he refused to negotiate to buy a singular two-word domain name for $5,000. It's not like the client doesn't have the money, he just doesn't see the website as more than an experiment and a hobby.

•••
I have been on the other side: We were building an e-commerce website for a client and he refused to negotiate to buy a singular two-word domain name for $5,000. It's not like the client doesn't have the money, he just doesn't see the website as more than an experiment and a hobby.

And with his attitude, that's probably what it will be.

Not saying he needs to pay $5K for a domain, but you definitely need to take any venture seriously.

Last edited:
•••
Great as you can still sell to the opposition.

•••
Sounds like a case of cold feet. Seen it a number of times when trying to negotiate with buyers on our platform where they accept an offer and then back out last minute.

Being on the other side though, I can tell you that decisions like these are never as easy as they seem from the outside. Entrepreneurship is all about risk management. It's all situational.

I wrote about the pros and cons of buying the matching .com domain before starting a company vs after on Quora if you're interested. It includes examples of famous companies that went both ways. Feel free to use some of my points in future negotiations. :)

•••
If you get what seems like a real offer or a serious offer from seemingly a genuine prospective purchaser, wouldn't it make good sense to hand reg similar domain names; e.g. the plural if you have the singular, etc, before replying to the offer?

•••
If you get what seems like a real offer or a serious offer from seemingly a genuine prospective purchaser, wouldn't it make good sense to hand reg similar domain names; e.g. the plural if you have the singular, etc, before replying to the offer?

First thought that went through my head when I saw it - believe me, lesson learnt......

Edit: To be fair when you add a plural to to the second of the 2 words it just looks wrong, but it won't stop me doing it in future to be on the safe side

Last edited:
•••
Back