Dynadot

information Domain Education and more

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Canada, India, Czech Republic, Seattle, Australia, UK, Florida, Arizona, Germany, Washington DC, and the list goes on. While apprenticing the domain industry for less than a year, I've literally met dozens of fabulous domainers from all over the world. And to think, I didn't even know the difference between a registry and a registrar just six months ago, and it's been less than a year since I learned what a TLD or ngTLD even stood.

When I tell my local friends and peers about this industry their eyes tend to glass over. Then when I tell them I own 1,500 domains they know I must have taken a second mortgage on my home, but when I explain to them that my out of pocket investment is less than 10K they become confused, but a little amused. They become even more confused and amused when I tell them that my domain portfolio is appraised by Go Daddy for a little over 1.2M.

Regardless of the industries I've been introduced to in my life, I've always reached out to industry trade groups, industry leaders, and even industry competitors. I've found that most, but not all competitors like to share their knowledge, and just as important, they like to make new friends....makes me think of the song, "I have a friend in Jesus" (i wasn't going to type/key about my religion, but I'm OK with your religion, and I hope you're OK with mine).

I've also made a lot of domain industry connections on Linkedin where I already have other industry connections. I've also found the private message feature here on NP to be very beneficial. It's been a way for me to reach out to others where we may have a common interest.

Finally, one last think I'll share is that I never would have guessed there was a registry/registrar located in my hometown where I've lived, worked and played hard for the last 45 years. And guess what?....they specialize in ngTLD's just like I tend to favor:xf.wink:

While I still feel like a newbie in many respects, I just wanted to share some of my experiences about an industry that I'm learning to love more and more every day......thanks for listening, and God Bless!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back