NameSilo

discuss Domain Education for General Public?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Contrary to what I hear on NamePro's, the "average individual" knows very little about this industry, and even less about about gTLD's and the new nTLD's. Fortunately I'm a pretty active guy who enjoys life and just loves meeting new people. I've been very active in business, sports (participant and spectator), community, education, entertainment, travel, charity and even religion. About the only thing I haven't been involved in is politics.....thank God! I say this because I've been making it my business in the last six months to ask a diverse population of friends, peers, acquaintances and sometimes total strangers what "if anything" they know about the business of domaining? When I see their puzzled look, I mention Go Daddy and then they "sort of" get it. And then when I tell them the domain Sex.com sold for 13 Million dollars about four yeas ago that seems to get their attention:xf.wink:

To add to this lack of knowledge, while I purchased my first domain for a business I started in the early 90's called Contact USA (owned the domain ContactUSA.com), I'd purchased maybe 10-20 .com domains for businesses I started over the last 20 years. I did purchase the .com domain "MakeSomethingHappen" on September 1, 2001, and I've just used it for my personal email for the last 17 years. I share this because I didn't even know this industry existed until a year ago. Furthermore, I didn't know about gTLD's and nTLD's extensions until I clicked on PingPong.gives about six months ago.

Some of you reading this have been involved in this industry since 2000, and take offense to my saying how screwed up this industry really is:xf.frown:. Regardless of what anyone here says or thinks, I think many of the new extensions are really cool:xf.grin: Just like what I thought when I clicked on PinPong.gives. Just in the last few days I've purchased about a dozen .gives domains to GIVE to the end users whose names are already well known. Think IBM.gives or Apple.gives (btw, I didn't buy those names), but it will give you an idea where I'm coming from. I'm sure the first reaction from some of the old time domainers here is, Bulloney can't do that, to which I say, Bulloney!!!

Finally, I see a whole lot of opportunity here, but Education is Key. For the buggy whip .com domainers who are set in their ways, you may want to pay attention because the buggy whip is slipsliding.away:xf.cool:

Lets talk domain education, what do you think? Thanks

Bulloney:xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Very well said, like your thinking.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back