IT.COM

opinion Does it bother you when you contact someone on NP and they ask way too much for their domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I recently, made an offer on a domain for about what it appeared worth. It is a .one extension domain and 4L the seller replied back $8,000. Then, they said it is great deal because they say it would go for $12,000 at namescon. This was all on namepros.
Question:
Does it bother you when you contact someone on namepros and they ask way to much, perhaps even thousands for a domain that is worth xx or maybe like $200 yet they want x,xxx or even xx,xxx?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I get what you're saying but I think this way of thinking is part of the reason why domainers as a whole only have a 2% sell thru rate on their domains. Many are ignoring basic market principles and are adopting more of a lottery mentality. The market not the domainer ultimately determines what a domain is worth. Many domainers would rather hold a domain for decades because they "feel" it's worth more despite what the market is telling them. As a result, 98% of domains that most domainers own will never sell and the only winner in that scenario are the registrars who are getting renewal fees.

the 98%, to 2%sell thru ratio, even if true, doesn't mean that domainer isn't making a profit

because it's possible that two names in a portfolio of 100, could actually pay for the whole and have some left over.
it also doesn't mean that a domainer didn't have opportunity to sell more names, they just chose not to sell for what was offered.
or, they may have set a limit, on how many names they want to sell within a given period.

as for the "market", what is the market, and if there is one, which market?
and how does a market have control of the "worth" or value of a domain, if/when it's not sold within that market?

also, i've held names for a decade, plus a few years, and when i sold them years later, the profit margin was 1000x's more than if i would have sold years earlier

what one "feels" about their names, maybe true and valid, despite what varying market blah, says

especially if the market is trying to buy that keyword now, rather than later.

imo....

•••
Seems as though the ego's on this forum have grown larger then the politeness. Yes... I am talking about all of you who have been doing this for a long time so you feel the need to go around like an elitist jerk.

Was no one taught "If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all" ?

You all act like someone over asking for a domain of theirs is going to ruin your life to the point where you reply and try and put them down. I literally see the same bunch of "veterans" going around telling people with GREAT names that they will never get a dime for it. Take a look through the "appraisal" page every day and see for yourself.

Trust me, if someone is posting something for too high and no one responds they will figure that out themselves.

Here's a tip..... Lighten up, live and let live and most importantly, stop being assholes to newbies :xf.smile:(y)

I hope you are not including me in those remarks.

•••
I price my domains @ 1 Kabillion Schekels

•••
Lol well is this something you do? I've actually never seen you comment prior to this. @stub

•••
•••
No response is worse.
Agreed. It seems to be trendy, here, create buy requests and say you're not going to reply - like you're some big shot.

•••
•••
I always say asking and getting are two different things.

Its just like when someone says to me... I am going to charge you for this.
I just chuckle and say Charging and me paying are two different things.

The question is what is realistic for ANY domain, its all relative and is dependant on someone wanting the domain. If I approach you I might ask xx.xx

If you approach me I might ask xxx.xx for the same domain.

You want it? The demand for the domain just went up by 1 - therefore so did the value

•••
•••
•••
•••
If you do like it, you must counter with the seller, if not, pass and move on.

•••
•••
•••
I don't mind if they ask too much, perhaps they know something that I don't, or they have a different view on the domain.

•••
The value of a Domain name is only as high as someone is willing to pay for it. People can get lazy and hope their price falls from the sky. You have to get out there and hustle. Be a salesman, call potential clients... or sell for cheap here and let someone else do the work. It is all relative my friend!

•••
•••
•••
Not in the slightest. It's their domain and they can price it however they see fit. I move on and buy something else.

•••
Like, I included in the question people on namepros asking for thousands for domains when this is a reseller platform especially when it's .one or .xyz not .com. I feel like most people here are cheapskates.

•••
It bothers me that domaining in general is like that, it ruined domaining, as the general public doesn't even try anymore. They expect that.

But given that that's how it works: it does not bother me any extra that it happens on domain forums. Overall prices are generally better here so that's good.

Last edited:
•••
There is nothing we can do about it, people end up selling for far less later out of desperation.

Yes so you could say this a double edged sword in here as domainers with more capital and contacts can easily swoop some good names from someone in need of immediate cash and price it however they like and they do. Its like some people expect to be given domains just because its a fellow domainer. Lots of fuss about crappy names and then griping when someone is trying to turn a profit--- just like we all are. If you don't like the price you move on.

•••
I believe quality name can sell big irrespective of the forum or market. If the seller is pricing its premium domain right, why the fuzz?

•••
I think there are two types of domain value:

1. Objective value
- based on clear parameters, such as domain lenght, extensions, age, traffic etc, etc

2. Subjective value
- not determined by any objective parameter
- can vary a lot
- based on emotional connection with domain (reasonable or unreasonable)
- for example:
someones first domain ever registered,
domain is similar to name of someones daughter; gifted domain; etc

If seller is going too high, it is indicator that he:
- misjudges objective value
- is ready to negotiate and just trying to take good starting position
- uses subjective parameters in it

I respect any offer and counteroffer price and it doesnt bother me at all.

•••
bump. Nice points Dominique

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back