Dynadot

opinion Does it bother you when you contact someone on NP and they ask way too much for their domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I recently, made an offer on a domain for about what it appeared worth. It is a .one extension domain and 4L the seller replied back $8,000. Then, they said it is great deal because they say it would go for $12,000 at namescon. This was all on namepros.
Question:
Does it bother you when you contact someone on namepros and they ask way to much, perhaps even thousands for a domain that is worth xx or maybe like $200 yet they want x,xxx or even xx,xxx?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wouldn't bother me really. But if they really knew they could increase it to 12k and they were so sure of this they would of listed it to be sold there then.

•••
if they sold it way too cheap,

you wouldn't hear a peep

but cuz it's more than you want pay

then you complain and got something to say

and as the lowballers all line up on same side

this boat will surely tip over

imo...

•••
•••
Does it bother me...? Not in the least!

If an enduser only wants to pay reg fee for a domain you own and tells you that your pricing (let's say $xxx) is WAY outside of his/her/their predetermined value of it (i.e ~$10), should you then feel obligated to reduce your price to what he/she/they want to pay? I'm going to guess not because you have a reason to believe it is worth more.

A "few" years ago you could pick up old Porsches, AC Cobras, Muscle Cars etc for a relative song. Since then many of these cars have increased tremendously in value. (Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Sigh...)

I remember when you could have bought a great Buick Grand National awhile back for ~$15-25k. But now...
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/4/...Were-Parked-In-A-Garage-For-30-Years-7738665/

The guy might be nuts for asking $200k for these two cars, but I bet he got a LOT for them one way or the other!!!

I see names being sold all the time at prices that I just can't understand -- to the point it makes my head hurt! :inpain: (Yeah, I'm looking at you Mr Schwartz... lol) I guess if you truly believe there is a buyer out there that will be willing to pay the price you are asking, then you can stick to your guns as long as you want and ignore the naysayers until that person comes along or you go out and find them. My domain, my decision!

Last edited:
•••
@TestCase Nice, comment wasn't referring to end-users but to people selling to resellers and asking crazy high prices on namepros. Prices even high than an end-user might pay!

•••
Does not matter, but some ppl are overly emotional about domains, every domain they buy think they can cash in, but not true. So it does not bother, they want 100o's for crappy names, let them have fun dreaming

•••
@Domainscoop.com Dreaming, is the absence of reality. It would be nice if people woke-up and didn't advertise their domains which they might as well not be selling (if they are going to ask NPer's to pay crazy high). But, yeah nice comment. thanks

•••
@Domainscoop.com Dreaming, is the absence of reality. It would be nice if people woke-up and didn't advertise their domains which they might as well not be selling (if they are going to ask NPer's to pay crazy high). But, yeah nice comment. thanks

There is nothing we can do about it, people end up selling for far less later out of desperation.

•••
@TestCase Nice, comment wasn't referring to end-users but to people selling to resellers and asking crazy high prices on namepros. Prices even high than an end-user might pay!

Absolutely, if anyone is trying to sell their domains at end user pricing here they are living in dreamland.:)

Even selling good domains here are super low reseller prices can be a challenge. IMO NP marketplace is biased more towards the buyer and not the seller... as a buyer we can pick up really awesome domains for dirt cheap here.... as a seller we have to really price our domains at rock bottom prices if we want to move them. (This excludes liquid NNN/ NNNN / LLL / LLLL .com domains..).

Yeah, no.... I've just never understood the whole "reseller pricing" vs "enduser pricing" thing.

I'm not a flipper, I look long term. I only sell a domain when the buyer's offer at least meets the low end of my rather narrow pricing range. There may come a day when I want to generate some quick cash and feel the need to offer a significant discount to meet my goal, until then all buyers are treated the same.

My newest trademark - Equal opportunity seller™

Last edited:
•••
I'm not a flipper, I look long term.

all buyers are treated the same.

Equal opportunity seller™

and that, is the essence...

imo...

•••
•••
If it bothers anyone reading this thread, then domaining probably isn't for you! Or even sales for that matter!

•••
NP is filled with people asking $x,xxx for extensions that don't have a single public sale, celebrity names in .com, and domains with more hyphens than a telephone number. Don't let the dumb-dumbs slow you down

•••
I recently, made an offer on a domain for about what it appeared worth. It is a .one extension domain and 4L the seller replied back $8,000. Then, they said it is great deal because they say it would go for $12,000 at namescon. This was all on namepros.
Question:
Does it bother you when you contact someone on namepros and they ask way to much, perhaps even thousands for a domain that is worth xx or maybe like $200 yet they want x,xxx or even xx,xxx?

It doesn't bother me exactly. But it irks a bit. Because obviously I was looking forward to doing a deal and owning this domain. Usually. When I get cranks like this I make a lower counter offer, and wish them luck at namescon. If they come back after namescon, I often tell them I found a better cheaper domain. And thank them for remembering me.

•••
If selling I have the issue where people feel entitled to a wholesale price but wanting to buy a domain, traffic or webmaster related domain name we all do that too. I have more of a problem with anon people with fake names gmail, hotmail with no site or whois to research asking whether I take a low ball price on best of inventory happened often enough to take names off sale list in past.

If buying and over priced will just accept it and move on I have seen some over the end users knee prices here at times and wonder if they just want a broker to help get them a good price. I generally don't start negotiations if unrealistic reflecting perhaps their stubbornness of asking price keyword when related to industry.
eg: sex dot com sells for 12m and someone has say 7L+sex =10L and wants 1m
your thinking $xxx as the end user. Just note down expiry date and name as your guaranteed one year it wont be still that price if parked.

Last edited:
•••
I get annoyed when people pm me with garbage asking four to five figs for there fresh hand reg. Then they say deal is valid for 24hrs . Lol that is annoying.

•••
Question:
Well, it is strage that you, the domainer, who offers to end users domains regd for $9 and asking XXXX bother with that :)
If you wanted that domain, so it was nor for put it in your collection and keep it, but for resale it for much more, maybe over 12k.
So, what is the problem if the owner of 12k domain didnt acept your 8k offer?

Last edited:
•••
Seems as though the ego's on this forum have grown larger then the politeness. Yes... I am talking about all of you who have been doing this for a long time so you feel the need to go around like an elitist jerk.

Was no one taught "If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all" ?

You all act like someone over asking for a domain of theirs is going to ruin your life to the point where you reply and try and put them down. I literally see the same bunch of "veterans" going around telling people with GREAT names that they will never get a dime for it. Take a look through the "appraisal" page every day and see for yourself.

Trust me, if someone is posting something for too high and no one responds they will figure that out themselves.

Here's a tip..... Lighten up, live and let live and most importantly, stop being assholes to newbies :xf.smile:(y)

•••
Seems as though the ego's on this forum have grown larger then the politeness.

stop being assholes to newbies :xf.smile:(y)

maybe some newbies should stop showing their assholes to the veterans and learn how to show some respect for those who have plowed the field before they got on the farm.

didn't nobody teach you to show respect for your elders?

imo...

•••
LMAO, I knew that was your mentality. It's so obvious every time you reply to someones thread. @biggie

•••
Was no one taught "If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all" ?

and most importantly, stop being assholes to newbies :xf.smile:(y)
:rolleyes:

•••
@deez007 I am afraid to pm most people in make an offer thread, or that post domains in chat. They, totally over value them a lot of the time.
If you are afraid than you should let other people to handle it :xf.smile:

•••

If an enduser only wants to pay reg fee for a domain you own and tells you that your pricing (let's say $xxx) is WAY outside of his/her/their predetermined value of it (i.e ~$10), should you then feel obligated to reduce your price to what he/she/they want to pay? I'm going to guess not because you have a reason to believe it is worth more.

A "few" years ago you could pick up old Porsches, AC Cobras, Muscle Cars etc for a relative song. Since then many of these cars have increased tremendously in value. (Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Sigh...)

I remember when you could have bought a great Buick Grand National awhile back for ~$15-25k. But now...
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/4/...Were-Parked-In-A-Garage-For-30-Years-7738665/

The guy might be nuts for asking $200k for these two cars, but I bet he got a LOT for them one way or the other!!!

I see names being sold all the time at prices that I just can't understand -- to the point it makes my head hurt! :inpain: (Yeah, I'm looking at you Mr Schwartz... lol) I guess if you truly believe there is a buyer out there that will be willing to pay the price you are asking, then you can stick to your guns as long as you want and ignore the naysayers until that person comes along or you go out and find them. My domain, my decision!
An old friend from Germany told me some years ago a story about his grandfather. His grandfather heard as a child that once a year a very influence and rich man with a black cilinder (hat) crosses the bridge. He imagined that if he wants to succeed he must wait at the bridge for the man with the black cilinder. He eventally was really able to meet the man with the black cilinder and it changed his life! :xf.wink:

•••

I get what you're saying but I think this way of thinking is part of the reason why domainers as a whole only have a 2% sell thru rate on their domains. Many are ignoring basic market principles and are adopting more of a lottery mentality. The market not the domainer ultimately determines what a domain is worth. Many domainers would rather hold a domain for decades because they "feel" it's worth more despite what the market is telling them. As a result, 98% of domains that most domainers own will never sell and the only winner in that scenario are the registrars who are getting renewal fees.

Last edited:
•••
I get what you're saying but I think this way of thinking is part of the reason why domainers as a whole only have a 2% sell thru rate on their domains. Many are ignoring basic market principles and are adopting more of a lottery mentality. The market not the domainer ultimately determines what a domain is worth. Many domainers would rather hold a domain for decades because they "feel" it's worth more despite what the market is telling them. As a result, 98% of domains that most domainers own will never sell and the only winner in that scenario are the registrars who are getting renewal fees.
You didnt get the point.
He made 8K offer for domain he pretended to sell later with higher price. Maybe more over 12K.
Then why he surprises with the fact that the actual domain owner also plans sell it for 12K ?
We dont talk about XX domain wich owner asked 12K, right?

•••
Back