Domain Empire

opinion Does it bother you when you contact someone on NP and they ask way too much for their domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I recently, made an offer on a domain for about what it appeared worth. It is a .one extension domain and 4L the seller replied back $8,000. Then, they said it is great deal because they say it would go for $12,000 at namescon. This was all on namepros.
Question:
Does it bother you when you contact someone on namepros and they ask way to much, perhaps even thousands for a domain that is worth xx or maybe like $200 yet they want x,xxx or even xx,xxx?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Doesn't bother me a bit, Us domainers most usually think way more of the names we own, than others do, I usually just send a firm counter offer, It is take it or leave it for the seller at that point

•••
Absolutely, if anyone is trying to sell their domains at end user pricing here they are living in dreamland.:)

Even selling good domains here are super low reseller prices can be a challenge. IMO NP marketplace is biased more towards the buyer and not the seller... as a buyer we can pick up really awesome domains for dirt cheap here.... as a seller we have to really price our domains at rock bottom prices if we want to move them. (This excludes liquid NNN/ NNNN / LLL / LLLL .com domains..).

Totally agree.
That's reality.

•••
What about the namepros members who are seeking or trying to buy domains for a fraction of what they are worth. You see examples of their posts every hour of every day. (n)

For me, namepros is an educational resource.

•••
What about the namepros members who are seeking or trying to buy domains for a fraction of what they are worth. You see examples of their posts every hour of every day. (n)

For me, namepros is an educational resource.
I agree with that one!(y)

•••
if,

the person contacting you about the price of a domain, doesn't even know the value of domains....

then how can they say, you're asking too much?

here you have the OP, who's been a member of the forum for what, 2 years?

and because they feel like the domains price is out of reach, that the owner is asking too much?

doesn't that sound like one of the same lame excuse the any other "nobody out of the blue" would say, who doesn't know domain values either?

the venue doesn't set pricing, the domain owner does... and you all should remember that, next time you're sucking up news about frank, rick or mike's latest big sale.

drops the mic and walks offstage

imo....

Last edited:
•••
Like many have pointed out it should not bother you at all but you also should avoid wasting too much time on a back and forth because when people give you crazy prices it does not matter how much logic you give them they might not budge.

Of course attempt to negotiate but then just move on. Remember in their eyes you are now a prospect/potential buyer and I am pretty sure they will contact you again eventually with a lower and more reasonable price once they realize the domain won't sell for their ridiculous dream price.

- Will

•••
here is the thing guys...

Rather than have this discussion over and over - let's try an experiment.

@biggie , I am calling myself out up front as a newbie. Please, help make sense of what I'm saying if it's not clear - as I think you have been communicating a similar theme.

I'm new to Domaining full-time, but I am not a newbie to business, finance, valuation models , M&A, etc. So, I look at things from a different angle sometimes, I think anyway.

But, this thing that I find most interesting is the lack of a unified valuation (don’t want to say method, too specific) conceptual standard. Meaning everyone understands that X Y Z G B all contribute to the final value, but all points must be considered in order to come to that result (or result range).

From what I have experienced, so far, is most agree that there a # of points that are considered in a value - for the most part what all the possible points are seem to be acknowledge, (True/False make sense?)

What doesn't seem to get acknowledged is that all those data points combined and through some mathematical magic - an actual data driven value can be produced (and reproduced).

Picking and choosing only the most "adventitious” points and considering those alone - well, that is not a valuation model - it's guessing. And it over and undervalues domains across the board.

There will never be consistent pricing if everyone picks and chooses to make lottery tickets out of "pretty good".

--Not that I am saying there has to or should be any change to how things work, this business was here long before me and there are many successful people to use as a role models - Something is working for some people - people smarter than I.

Just giving a view from another side and from someone who enjoys this space and will be here 10+ years from now. (might be fun to read this post then.)

Also, keep in mind that applies on both sides - buyer and seller - that's the only way a price range can be consistently (from an actuarial point of view).

So maybe the experiment is - always ask for an explanation of the valuation, in detail, with data. If I am going to spend 75K on a name - is it reasonable to expect?

Or, preempt them with providing one with an offer?

Just some thoughts,

Brian

•••
here is the thing guys...

Rather than have this discussion over and over - let's try an experiment.

@biggie , I am calling myself out up front as a newbie. Please, help make sense of what I'm saying if it's not clear - as I think you have been communicating a similar theme.

I'm new to Domaining full-time, but I am not a newbie to business, finance, valuation models , M&A, etc. So, I look at things from a different angle sometimes, I think anyway.

But, this thing that I find most interesting is the lack of a unified valuation (don’t want to say method, too specific) conceptual standard. Meaning everyone understands that X Y Z G B all contribute to the final value, but all points must be considered in order to come to that result (or result range).

From what I have experienced, so far, is most agree that there a # of points that are considered in a value - for the most part what all the possible points are seem to be acknowledge, (True/False make sense?)

What doesn't seem to get acknowledged is that all those data points combined and through some mathematical magic - an actual data driven value can be produced (and reproduced).

Picking and choosing only the most "adventitious” points and considering those alone - well, that is not a valuation model - it's guessing. And it over and undervalues domains across the board.

There will never be consistent pricing if everyone picks and chooses to make lottery tickets out of "pretty good".

--Not that I am saying there has to or should be any change to how things work, this business was here long before me and there are many successful people to use as a role models - Something is working for some people - people smarter than I.

Just giving a view from another side and from someone who enjoys this space and will be here 10+ years from now. (might be fun to read this post then.)

Also, keep in mind that applies on both sides - buyer and seller - that's the only way a price range can be consistently (from an actuarial point of view).

So maybe the experiment is - always ask for an explanation of the valuation, in detail, with data. If I am going to spend 75K on a name - is it reasonable to expect?

Or, preempt them with providing one with an offer?

Just some thoughts,

Brian

Hi @DnameAgame

welcome to domain world

off the top:
from your posted outside experience.....you'd be considered an end-user

one these folks would be spamming trying to upsell their newly registered names to

when or if you read the email, they may include a price

that price, is ultimately higher than what they paid for it
and more than likely, it was derived out of thin air,

or from the advice given in a post after they created an appraisal thread.
or a percentage of what an automated appraisal tool said.
or a percentage of past sale, they think is a comparable to their name.
or a few dollars more than the previous offers they received
or how much the name earns each month multiplied by any number of years they can dream of
etc, etc.

if there was unified valuations, then who would unify them and would they have control over pricing?
if there was unified pricing, then could any given name sell for more than what the unified price range was?

data points are just points, but "gut feeling" can outweigh them all

:)

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back