Dynadot

Does anyone recommend Snapnames to backorder domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DR01D

Impact
Yesterday the status of a domain that I am interested in switched to pending delete. It's registered on Godaddy.

Does anyone recommend using a backorder service like snapnames or the Godaddy backorder service?

Do these hurt more than they help? I don't think it's a particularly popular name but I don't want to take any chances. I really want the domain.

Thanks a ton for any advice!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If it's truly pending-delete then snapnames is often the best performing but there are others like pool or namejet. godaddy backorder has no particular edge when the domain is in pending-delete, it's no longer controlled by them.
What does the whois say exactly ?

•••
Thanks sdsinc

The domain says

Updated Date: 21-may-2013
Creation Date: xx-feb-2013
Expiration Date: xx-feb-2014

It's registered by Godaddy so I wondered if I should use them to backorder. But.... I don't know very much about this so I wasn't sure.

Also if I understand it correctly a backorder can trigger an auction under some circumstances? But if I don't backorder can I join the auction anyway?

•••
If you really want the domain, it's better to place backorders with all the major dropcatchers. Yet, there is no guarantee that either will catch the domain.
An auction will take place if there is more than one bidder.

As for placing a godaddy backorder, it's usually less effective because they have fewer registrar pools. It depends if there will be competition for the domain, especially from other dropcatchers. A backorder is certainly much more effective than trying a manual registration after the domain has dropped. It depends how badly you want the domain.
If it's any good, it's likely that somebody will try to snap it, with or without using the services of a dropcatcher.

•••
Generally, If you see an expired domain that you want registered at GoDaddy - check on their auction site first. If nobody wants it there, then they will send it to delete.

Given the curious creation date, this domain is being prematurely deleted. I wonder if it went through their auction process at all.

•••
If you really want the domain, it's better to place backorders with all the major dropcatchers.

I really want the domain so I placed a backorder with snapnames, namejet, pool and Godaddy because that's the company that registered it.

The only one I don't understand is snapnames.

If snapnames grabs the domain and there are 2 bidders I assume it goes to an auction. Do I need to put a high bid in right now to ensure that I get it or will I have time once the auction starts? I can't tell if the domain automatically goes to the high bidder at the instant the name drops.

Thanks a ton for any input!

•••
I really want the domain so I placed a backorder with snapnames, namejet, pool and Godaddy because that's the company that registered it.

If snapnames grabs the domain and there are 2 bidders I assume it goes to an auction. Do I need to put a high bid in right now to ensure that I get it or will I have time once the auction starts? I can't tell if the domain automatically goes to the high bidder at the instant the name drops.

With more than one bidder, it will go to a three-day auction. You need not raise your bid until it goes to auction. However, the higher the bid, the harder Snapnames will work at catching it (unless it's a pre-release, non-dropping domain).

•••
With more than one bidder, it will go to a three-day auction. You need not raise your bid until it goes to auction. However, the higher the bid, the harder Snapnames will work at catching it (unless it's a pre-release, non-dropping domain).

Thanks so much! That explains it.

... now time to think. :D

•••
Yeah I would recommend it.

My dad uses it all the time ;)

•••

When you really want a domain, you use every backorder service that's out there,

•••
this may be too late but if it is registered at godaddy then it will go to auction at go daddy and if the name is any good it will not drop but will be purchased at the godaddy auction

•••
May be too late? This thread is over a YEAR old. I just wasted my time reading the posts since it started with May 22.... 2 0 1 3

•••
I had a backorder on trust.us when it was in the expiring stage. I was under the assumption worst case scenario there would be an auction, but I find out today snapnames picked it up:(

•••

if it gets bid on at godaddy it won't be dropped, do use godaddy auction and bid on it in the auction and you will most probably be outbid by huge domains or wait and if no one bids you might pick it up in the closeout

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back