IT.COM

question Do you put a time limit on your offer to purchase?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I'm working with a Broker from Uniregistry and he is trying to procure a domain name for me. It's a good .ca and I came in at 15k USD with the owner coming back at 25k USD.

The broker knew the client was asking way too much but he pressed me to make an offer in the middle at 20k.

I decided to stick firm because I felt it was absurd to be dealing in USD from one Canadian to another.

Anyways the broker seemed very surprised when I said my offer was only good for 7 days and then I would close the file on the purchase. I actually think I caught him off guard.

I used to run a Mercedes-Benz franchise and I often put time limits on big transactions. It got deals done, the client asked for a sweet deal, I occasionally gave it to them but they had to commit within 48 hours. When the potential client missed the deadline I stayed true to my terms. A few months later they come back on another car, same process but this time they stick to the time frame. If you are going to negotiate on a transaction and you are serious then I don't think a time frame is so unusual.

Like I said, the uniregistry broker seemed genuinely surprised by my response but I don't have the time to keep beating a dead horse.

I usually phrase it like this...

There is a specific window of opportunity (7 days) before I tie up my funds on other domains and my offer is null and void.

So when you make an offer on a domain purchase do you let the person know there is a time frame or do you just let it drag out indefinitely?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i think you made good call for 15k firm.. for .ca

20k sale for .ca would put you in top 50 biggest ever .ca sales known to public.. from a quick namebio check

at 15k.. you'll be just in say top 80 ;)

put a limit on it for sure.. and if he doesn't like it.. go get another .ca.. cause 15k budget can get you very nice .ca things! :)

•••
put a limit on it for sure.. and if he doesn't like it.. go get another .ca.. cause 15k budget can get you very nice .ca things! :)

Trust me, this is a one of a kind unique name but in all the years it has never been developed. Everyone is waiting for the big payday. I thought I would offer and I guess I will see in 7 days. If not... " C'est la vie " I am not getting attached to domain names anymore, it either works or not.

•••
I am not getting attached to domain names anymore, it either works or not.

Killer domain quote. There should be a thread set up for domain-related quotes.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back