Domain Empire

.uk Do you need .uk if you use .co.uk

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
From my experience, sites having .co.uk have no interest in owning .uk version of their domains.

Even when I offer such a domain for free, they don't care, don't respond, don't visit the domain to check things.

So it is like people don't think .uk domain exists, although they can easily test it.

Isn't co.uk very ugly when there is .uk.

Same with .in.

People have .co.in and are not interested in .in.

A German financial site has .me.uk version of a German keyword. I have .uk version. They are not interested even asking the price, or even checking the existence of such a domain. Previously I asked them whether they would sell it, they didn't bother, this means, that .me.uk was worth more than low 3 figures to them. But .uk verson is not even worth 1 usd. Ok, they could say, we like this domain, but we are not a motivated buyer so we can only pay 100 usd for now. Why don't people do it.

I really don't understand how people's brain work.

Something has a value and you proved it by purchasing it and renewing for 10 years, and something which is obviously at least 10 times more valualble is offered potentially for a very low price like 5-10 percent of its actual value, and you just don't care. People buy things which absolutely they don\t need, like sunscreen or aftershave but they don't try to make their ugly addres beautiful.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They failed marketing class, what else can you say?

As you said if the price is not much they should take it. Forward one to the other so they don't have to do any work. Probably hasn't been an issue because old people (me too) just keep doing the same thing over and over. Are younger startups using the shorter .uk?

From their own promo material.
https://registrars.nominet.uk/namespace/uk/launch/q-and-a

What are the benefits for businesses?
It’s sharper and snappier, while still signalling a connection with the UK...

Why are you introducing this change?
We think shorter domains will prove popular, and may persuade more people to join the .uk namespace, which we want to be as strong, popular and well-recognised as possible...

Most other country-code domain registries already offer registration at the second level (example.de, example.fr)...

FOUND AN EXAMPLE NICE SITE...
airsorted.uk
airsorted.fr
airsorted.es
and more...

Last edited:
•••
It's just that .co.uk came along first and has established itself as the UK domain extension. Those who have a .uk tend to use it as an alias of the main .co.uk version, or for their social media links.

In saying that, the UK Government and NHS use the .uk extension so it isn't like it's not being seen.

edit: Wow, really surprised that the .co.uk variants don't even resolve!

Last edited:
•••
I really don't understand how people's brain work.
Their brain depends on Google...
Google.uk doesn't work at all.
Google.in redirects to .co.in

•••
A German financial site has .me.uk version of a German keyword. I have .uk version. They are not interested even asking the price, or even checking the existence of such a domain. Previously I asked them whether they would sell it, they didn't bother, this means, that .me.uk was worth more than low 3 figures to them. But .uk verson is not even worth 1 usd. Ok, they could say, we like this domain, but we are not a motivated buyer so we can only pay 100 usd for now. Why don't people do it.
It's very strange that they use a .me.uk, this is a third-level extension for individuals only, not for companies. It's not valuable at all. So they have no clue anyway, it's the wrong buyer, they just do not understand the value proposition. But I don't think the .uk is really useful without the matching .co.uk.

At this point the majority of companies in the UK have no interest in .uk, they would buy it only for defensive purposes. Companies that have .uk rights (most of the time the holders of the .co.uk) have until 2019 to buy their .uk and we know a lot are not going to exercise this right.

But again, having the .uk without the matching .co.uk is not that great. You are at a disadvantage.

•••
Slig ht co rrection, they use .m e.uk as a red irect; but ren ew it every year an yway.
Ma ybe .me became popu lar because of existence of .m e.uk,
but .uk didn't be come popu lar for the same r eason, yet.

Btw I'm tired of not being able to post, because of "spa mlike elements".

•••
The interesting time will come in June 2019, when the shorter dot uk is no longer reserved for the current .co.uk registrant. As you know both versions are available separately if the domain is currently unregistered. There will be an explosion of wisdom in just under a years time with who knows what in repercussions.

Domainers haven't taken to dot uk because businesses don't seem interested and there is very little market for the unknown. A similar scenario has already played out in Japan with the same thing in .co.jp preceding the later .jp. Though knowledgeable Asian market domainers tell me domaining is not popular in Japan.

Logic tells you that the shorter .uk should prove popular for those not operating as a Company. But I think we are all waiting with baited breath.

As a side note, one of the more expensive UK registration services (123-reg) Pre registered all the shorter .UK's for their clients right up to October 2019 (including me) at no additional charge so we do have a few months grace between June and October to see how things play-out. this action alone has caused all sorts of bad feelings and comments from those not given the same leeway

Last edited:
•••
I can't post, so I will post the error message:

Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

admins should change the spam algorithm. I don't use a spam word or post a link.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back