IT.COM

Need advice from someone with .co.uk / .uk experience.

NameSilo
Watch

Matt1966

Established Member
Impact
There's a .uk which is available to register, I've looked at the .co.uk version and it seems that they are a big company.

Legally, if I registered the name and started a business using the .uk, would the .co.uk business have and legal ground to gain the rights to my domain?

Thanks guys

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All .co.uk owners have up to 5 years to gain the .uk after them it's the .org.uk holders who get next dibs after that the .me.uk holders then after 5 years if it is not registered you can register it but you'd be well advised to develop it and make sure that the domain does nothing that would compete with the .co.uk site. Hope that answers that for you. :)

•••
All .co.uk owners have up to 5 years to gain the .uk after them it's the .org.uk holders who get next dibs after that the .me.uk holders then after 5 years if it is not registered you can register it but you'd be well advised to develop it and make sure that the domain does nothing that would compete with the .co.uk site. Hope that answers that for you. :)
Thanks for that NameZest! I struggle to see the point of even creating .uk's really? Is it just Nominet wanting more money from .co.uk owners by making them pay renewals for .uks too?

•••
•••
Unless the .co.uk was registered recently (>= 2014), the .uk is not really available to register. It's reserved to the rights holder (usually the .co.uk).

•••
It is my firm belief that the .uk extension is a complete failure and has and will never take off.

Even as we speak multi million pound companies are advertising their co.uk websites loud and clear on British TV. Everytime there is an advert etc on British TV almost all feature Co.uk (apart from com of course)

I cannot see .uk ever taking off. I can't even see it growing on people. Co.uk is such a strong and authorative presence that I don't believe that there ever will be a shift to the .uk extension. It was an ill advised extension.

Generic or product related co.uk domain names are worth a lot of money and are second only to com in my opinion.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back