NameSilo

Discuss your Epik Experience!

Located in Domain Marketplace Reviews, started by dande, Jul 24, 2019

Replies:
Views:

1. Abdullah Abdullah

Abdullah Abdullah Top Contributor VIP

Thanks sounds good. You mentioned Afternic gets their 20% so what does Epik get from offering this service?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Rob Monster

Rob Monster CEO, Epik Epik.com Staff PRO VIP Gold Account

We actually treat it like escrow:

- The domain owner is the seller
    - Afternic is the buyer
    - Epik is the broker and escrow agent.

The fee is 1.5% plus whatever fees we incur relaying funds outbound at time of disbursement.

We are simply serving as the seller's proxy for domains that are either at Epik and for which we are confident that the asset being sold is safe to sell.

3. Abdullah Abdullah

Abdullah Abdullah Top Contributor VIP

So the seller has to pay Epik's commission in addition to Afternic's?

4. frank-germany

frank-germany domainer since 2001 / musician VIP

epik has to earn money
    you all love epik/Rob

so that shouldn't be a problem

5. Rob Monster

Our fee is 1.5%. Chump change.

We would do it as a courtesy to Epik customers who already work with Epik.

It is a value-added professional service similar to:

- Free fairness opinions
    - Commission-free escrow
    - Free SSL landing pages.
    - Etc.

In other words, when it comes to value-added, if it can be free, it will be free.

However, when it comes to Afternic, there are always non-automatable human touchpoints and there is a low-level fraud risk that has to be managed.

The good news is that we are only tolling exits. When it comes to domainers, we lose money or break even on the costs that lead up to the exit. We toll the exit but usually add value.

And for folks who need help closing deals, I am pretty sure that we more than offset our fee by helping sellers achieve larger exits than they would have perhaps achieved on their own.

6. Rob Monster

7. AnthonyD

AnthonyD Optimal Names VIP Gold Account

8. Rob Monster

Yes, absolutely -- hotlinked to the transactional details where available.

9. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Small, but still: logos in the bottom (Icann and Domaining) serve no purpose. We are inside the domain management area. A customer is already aware that he is dealing with icann-accredited registrar, And the fact that the registrar also paid domaining .com for a listing is irrelevant for domain management needs.

10. Rob Monster

Feedback appreciated. Another iteration is coming. Just rounding up feedback for @Ala Dadan and @vitigo

11. NicTraders

NicTraders Top Contributor VIP Gold Account

Will it be customisable? E.g. drag n drop or re-size each box, etc? I know others might care, but I couldn't care less about seeing expired domains. I know what I've allowed to expire. Offers and Escrow is most important. I'd like to be able to re-size that box and see perhaps the last few offers directly in that box. The other 3 boxes are cool stats, and handy to see occasionally in order to make myself feel good, but the truth is that I'm not going to actually make use of them much.

12. Rob Monster

That's a really GREAT point. You know in NameInvestors.com, it is a drag and drop widget framework. You might be on to something there. Will review on that one. If others like @NicTraders idea, please like his post.

@vitigo
    @Ala Dadan
    @Gube

13. koolishman

koolishman Upgraded Member Blue Account

Any update on this, Rob?

14. Rhinnnn

Rhinnnn Established Member

I have a suggestion unrelated to the discussions above.

Domain loans - this is a great Epik feature. But I think it would be useful for the site to mention that a user can not have more than one loan open at a time.

This page explains the procedure well, but it seems to give the impression that you could ask for multiple loans (or at least I had that impression): https://www.epik.com/domain/loans

15. Rob Monster

That's true but you can have multiple accounts.

We are thinking about Domain Lending more holistically for a project called DomainEquity.com, currently in the planning stage, which will enable secured and guaranteed peer to peer lending for domains.

More info soon.

@Ala Dadan

16. AnthonyD

Has anyone else noticed this? I noticed something in transferring my domains from GoDaddy to Epik ...

GoDaddy is seems to be holding back the domains that they're valuation tool considers valued "high". From what I can tell, any of my domains with values over 2500 are held back the maximum wait time of 5 days while domains that they've placed a "low" value on are immediately transferred to Epik...

Why purposely slow down domain transfers on names that they're valuation tool says are "high"? Is this to slow down the transfer, the sale, whatever, keep it at GD a little longer? Punish the domain owner with a good domain who wants to leave? This NEVER occurred prior to their valuation tool being given more credence on their site.

Here is an example:

Today I initiated two domains from GD to Epik. Domain1 is "valued" at $1876 and Domain2 is valued at $3633.

Shortly afterward I received a "sorry to see you go" email from GD that asks me to log in and to approve my transfers. I checked off both domains and approved both transfers at the same time. I receive the message "Your request has been submitted. Changes may take 15 minutes to take effect." on my screen but that is a false message in the case where valuation is deemed high.

Immediately Domain1 left GD and is in my account at Epik.

Domain2 is still sitting there and it will sit there 5 days more than likely.

I know what GD will say, "we are holding back domain2 to make sure there is no fraud yada yada yada." to which my reply might be "why not domain1 and why not treat ALL domains with equal concern?"

upload_2020-2-21_13-54-31.png

17. Mister Funsky

Mister Funsky Top Contributor VIP

It has never happened to me with high value names...I just go in and 'force' the transfer once it shows in the pending tab...otherwise it could take several days.

18. AnthonyD

I've done that too, high value names remain behind. Sucks.

19. Mister Funsky

Mister Funsky Top Contributor VIP

Sorry to see that happen...didn't mean to sound 'basic' with my response above, but I had been moving names for quite a while before I learned I could expedite the process. :xf.smile: I agree, they will tell you it is for your own protection...makes me warm and fuzzy knowing they are looking out for us domainers!!!

20. MasterOfMyDomains

MasterOfMyDomains Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Epik Question?
    How do I update whois on .ca domains in My Domains? Their not updating when I transfer them to another registrar. Showing expired
    The .coms update as I transfer them all to epik

21. tonyk2000

Confirmed. I also noticed this. The names with higher value as per their valuation tool are more likely to wait for 5 days regardless of manual transfer approval. I can live with 5 days scenario though (have not been in the situation of an urgent transfer-away so far). What is interesting is that GD really seems to be of opinion that their tool reflects a domain value...

22. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP

Godaddy has actually been doing for a while. claim do this for “security” — only to high value transfer away— smart, excuse, i see it as way messing with you, one last time.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  23. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Yes, looks like the trigger point is $2K+, when you have funds sitting in escrow awaiting a transfer, you don't want to be sitting there 5 days, then into a weekend? I get why they are doing it, but let us input a pin code to override it like a trading password or something. There is a transfer verification department that overrides it, but looks like they can't keep up, and take 4 of the 5 days to respond, verify, and release.

24. tonyk2000

Last time, this department did not bother to email me asking to confirm. Nor did I - was a routine Sedo sale, the buyer initiated the transfer - and, even though I hate to delay domain deliveries, Sedo instantly notified both parties that the transfer may not be immediate, he should have also received similar warning from the gaining registrar, so... all good, but slow.
    Since we are in Epik thread, I can confirm that Epik paid me once in non-business hours (online payment).

25. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Epik funds your masterbucks as soon as the sale is complete, doesn’t matter the day, or time. At which point you can spend, send, or even escrow
    another transaction at that time.

Now if this was Namesilo it would take a week
    to get access to your funds.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice